Skip to content

Noob looking for help

Hey all,basically I'm completely new to baldurs gate but rember my uncle playing it when I was a child and use to love watching him play it.
So when I seen it on the App Store I had to download it! But I'm really struggling to get any where,I made my way to the mines and half my party started fighting each other and I don't seem powerful enough to kill the main boss! And it's been down hill from there! I'm playing a half Orc fighter and my partie was made up from the first npc's you run Into.im basically looking for any tips to get a good partie and a good headstart as I'm thinking of starting again. Thanks in advance

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited November 2014
    the canon party (imoen, khalid, jaheira, minsc and dynaheir) is a solid party and will get you through the game nicely
    make sure you buff up before attempting mulahey (remove fear, bless etc)
    equip your entire party with missile weapons (preferably the ones they're proficient in) shooting things from a distance kills most enemies without too much trouble.
    try to distract mulahey's skeletons with a fighter type while you beat on him with the rest of your party, once he's down you should be able to deal with any remaining skeletons easily enough.

when your party fight each other is it because they've been charmed or they hate each other anyway?
  • Hervin89Hervin89 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the tips :) on the fighting I think it's because khalid and jaheira are good characters and Minsc and dynaheir are evil characters. They just started fighting and khalid and jaheira killed the other two.I was in the middle of the mines and ended up picking up a new npc a Mage I think and now I can't resurrect them.hense why I wanted to restart.
    minsc and dynaheir are good characters, there should be no fighting between them. dunno how that's happened
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Hervin89 said:

on the fighting I think it's because khalid and jaheira are good characters and Minsc and dynaheir are evil characters.

No, they're all good characters. It's possible that one of them got hit by stray fire from the other team, and got angry about it. I've never heard of those two groups duking it out frankly.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Xzar and Montaron are evil, they fight specifically with Khalid and Jaheira.

Try a Berzerker (fighter kit) or Cavalier (paladin) first playthrough, and aim for pretty good stats. 18/00 is very good strength, 19 a bit better. High constitution and dexterity also make life easier, but no bonus' until 15. ADnD 2nd editionwas weird that way. 16 to 18 in cons/dex help a ton.
    edited November 2014
    DreadKhan said:

Try a Berzerker (fighter kit) or Cavalier (paladin) first playthrough, and aim for pretty good stats. 18/00 is very good strength, 19 a bit better.

You can't get 19 Strength with a Human, only Half-Orcs can get that high. And only Humans can be Paladins. You'll have to be extremely lucky on your rolls to even get 18(00) for that matter. Anything over 18(50) and you're doing pretty good.

Belanos said:

DreadKhan said:

Try a Berzerker (fighter kit) or Cavalier (paladin) first playthrough, and aim for pretty good stats. 18/00 is very good strength, 19 a bit better.

You can't get 19 Strength with a Human, only Half-Orcs can get that high. And only Humans can be Paladins. You'll have to be extremely lucky on your rolls to even get 18(00) for that matter. Anything over 18(50) and you're doing pretty good.

You saw where he mentioned being a half orc in the OP, right? Cavalier happens to be really newbie friendly, so I suggested trying it too, but yes, he'd need to be human to be a paladin.
    DreadKhan said:

You saw where he mentioned being a half orc in the OP, right?

Oops, sorry. I missed that part.

evil characters will always fight good characters eventually (except maybe Dorn) if you wan't to keep khalid and jaheira you'll have to drop xzar and monty. one suggestion i have is to pick up minsc and quickly complete the gnoll stronghold and get dynaheir (could be very difficult though).

I think the fight is based on a timer so if you get through the mines fast enough you can replace xzar with xan (and ditch monty)
    another way is to get monty to walk into a group of enemies (alone and unarmoured) and get him killed, this way you can remove him from the party without xzar leaving and pick up minsc in nashkel. then if you complete the mines fast enough you can replace xzar with xan (have some anti depressants on standby though)
    And yes your fighter is fine he'll easily be the best guy in your party with those stats
    Okay thanks for the help .
    You're welcome! Did you tske the Berserker kit? Makes life much less of a hassle.
    No I just went plan fighter,but only left candle keep so could easily start again and add it of it will help a lot,some of the character creation is confusing for a none DnD player so kept it simple
    Straight fighter is a good choice anyway :)
    Ok cool, I let you know how I get on. Il probs need more help anyway in the future.
    Berserker is vastly better than pure fighter, but you can still win with that.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I think everyone would say a berzerker is better, but not so much so that you need to restart. You can basically play as any character and do just fine. The more important element to start with is really about party composition - you want a decent mix of the skills available. Big hitter(s) up front, ranged attack, casters making the job for the above easier, and a thief for locks and traps. Some individuals can cover more than one base here, but maybe leave that complexity until you're happier with the basics and mechanics.

Also, don't read too much before you play.
    Basically ignore us lot and go and have fun
    Haha ok thanks again I'm on it
    Hervin89 said:

Hey all it was xzar and montaron that where scrapping,got there names confused with the other two.

Well that makes more sense then. Those two groups will pretty much always fight eventually, not Minsc and Dynaheir. If your character has high Charisma you can delay the battle, maybe even avoid it altogether. But it's not really a good idea to mix good and evil characters in a party. They can work together for a short time, but there will almost always be a conflict eventually.

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Alternatives for getting rid of one half of paired characters (besides getting one killed):
    - Walk the char that you are dismissing into an empty, cleared house that you will never need to revisit, or a room upstairs in an inn that you have cleaned out (NOT the Jovial Juggler or Feldepost's). Select your CHARNAME or other party member still outside, go to stats page, and reform party without the drop-off.
    - Go to a basilisk area, or hand the drop-off character a Cursed Scroll of Petrification. Scout the basilisk with the drop-off character, or have them read the scroll. Reform party. You can unpetrify them at a later date if it turns out you may need them.
    Hervin89 said:

I decided just to not pick up the two evil characters and am doing fine!

It doesn't hurt to have them in your party for awhile at least, they won't start fighting with the good characters right away. I usually take them with me up to the Friendly Arm where I pick up Jahiera and Khalid, then kick them out of the party when I head down to Beregost and pick up Kivan and Neera. Later I'll tell those two to hit the road and take in Minsc and Dynahier.

It actually usually works fine to keep them all the way down to Nashkel, fulfilling both their quest and the Harpers' at the same time. If you don't fool around in Beregost much until later.

Then you can stash them at the Nashkel Inn, or the Tavern, pick up Minsc, and never worry about them again.
    To late the're gone. I've just arrived at beregost and only died once, so seem to be doing fine, I've decided to just play the game as it unfolds,when I finally beat it il do a evil run and pick those two up thinking of taking the monk into the mines just for numbers sake.
    You MIGHT run into one other guy who could at least help you carry all the loot, on your way to the Mines.
    Another twist in my baldurs gate tale! Decided to download the second as I want to play through both,so was clearing space on the ipad and accdently deleted the first one so I'm back to square one AGAIN,! Will get the eventually.
    So I've started AGAIN and have a few questions last time the two teams started fighting it was just before I faced the boss in the mines,will the fight at the same place? And I have not yet gave the ring to the evil necromancer as I don't want him to bugger of with it is there a way I can take it back if the walk or get killed?
    the fight is on a timer, if you move quickly enough and don't rest too much it'll never happen.
    if xzar dies you can loot his corpse if he leaves pause the game and get everyone to shoot him with a missile weapon, he'll die very easily and then you can loot him with no rep loss