Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

How to install mods for BG 2 EE

I used to install mods for the original BG 2 and it felt quite easy.

Now however I get a little black window saying I'm not installing the in IE game directory - what does this mean?
Seriously I can't get any mods to install, can someone give me a mega simplified step-by-step guide? :)

lolien

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
    You need to find the "Resources" folder. I think it's in a different place depending on if you're on Windows or OS X, and depending on if you're playing the GOG vs Beamdog vs Steam vs App Store versions of the game. There's probably a list of the locations... somewhere.

Basically though, to install mods you need to run Weidu (the "setup-____" file) in the same folder that chitin.key is in. So probably easiest to simply search your computer for chitin.key, and the results should identify the file for each game installation you have. Then maybe make an alias/shortcut of that fonder to your desktop, got easy access later. (That's what I do anyway.)

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    For beamdog games you need to find a folder named 000783 or something (you'll know it when you see it) that folder is the ie game directory

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Now however I get a little black window saying I'm not installing the in IE game directory - what does this mean?
    Seriously I can't get any mods to install, can someone give me a mega simplified step-by-step guide? :)

Make sure the mods you're trying to install have been updated to work with the EE games. There are differences from the originals and not all of the old mods will work in these new versions.

CrevsDaak
  • TiddlersoupTiddlersoup Member Posts: 7
    Thank guys, turned out needed to install them in GOG folder... Now I have a new issue!

BG2EE will load, but it won't let me make a new saved game. It's weird because I've tried uninstalling the latest mods I installed, but nothing seems to help. I can carry on playing my current game but no new ones :( Any tips? Anyone experienced this? Is it best to delete everything and reinstall and try each one until I find the one that breaks it? Are any certain mods known for this?

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    I don't know if it goes without saying, but mods installed on a GOG game won't affect BGII: EE and vice versa.

CrevsDaak
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
    That tripped me up for a second as well, but remember that GOG is actually selling BG2:EE now. So this is actually a serious concern for new players looking to mod their install. They might have one of seven versions of BG2:EE:
    - Windows Beamdog
    - Windows Steam
    - Windows GOG
    - OS X Beamdog
    - OS X App Store
    - OG X Steam
    - OS X GOG

That means seven possible locations of chitin.key to find for installing mods, some of which are pretty well-hidden. I don't think there's a "hey noobs, here's how to install mods" post anywhere that lists all seven possible locations. But they can always just use their OS's search function, like I suggested.

@OP I've never seen a problem like not letting you save games. I would delete everything, re-install the game (NOT in c:\Program Files\, make a separate c:\games\ directory for installing GOG and Steam stuff) and then re-install mods.