Skip to content

Will you bring Story Mode difficulty setting to BG:EE?

I read about the setting on Icewind Dale and for the new/casual player it's a great setting to have.

Comments

• SnowstoneSnowstone Member Posts: 18
    No one?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Pretty sure they will be.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014
    Hmmm.... I hope they don't port the whole difficulty settings. IWD balance is totally cookie on anything but core.
    Dee said:

Truth be told I'd rather have a Zombie Mode: Not only will the NPC's be immortal, their paperdolls would be changed into decaying corpses as well. Plus points if the party members scream "BRAAAIIINS" whenever they are hit by enemy attacks.

And when you die and come back, your speed is reduced to vanilla BG levels. Or alternatively, increased (depending on what era of zombies we're talking about here).

As for Story Mode, it won't be included in this next patch for BGII:EE, but it will likely find its way into the BG games at some point.
    Since I'm just trying to get into infinty engine games, it would be great if you could add it, the sooner the better. Until that happens, my question now is, should I get Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale for iPad? :S

!! You're completely new to the series? :o

You are hereby required to vote here. ^-^ Well, once you buy a game, mind. :3

Yes, the only infinity engine game I have is Planescape Torment, I got on GOG, but only played like a few minutes. Had difficulty getting hooked. I was hoping either Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale on my iPad would hook me, the way KOTOR did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Gotcha :)

Well, BG is more story oriented than IWD, while both are combat oriented. Neither are as story or character oriented as Planescape.

IWD is a safe bet if you want an entirely combat focussed game right now. Go for BG1EE if you want more of a story. Either way, I'd wait a month or so for the 1.3 patch before buying BG2EE.

If you want to ease yourself into infinity engine games, I'd start with BG1. With BG1, you only build 1 character. With IWD, you have to build an entire party, and that can be difficult or overwhelming if you're first learning the system.

That was my plan, the only reason I haven't picked up BGEE for my iPad, was that I was waiting for a sale and because I was afraid the challenge be too frustrating.

Do you also think coming from KOTOR, BG1EE is the best next game? (I would try Mass Effect, but I don't have present/next gen consoles, or PC capable of running the game)
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Dee said:

As for Story Mode, it won't be included in this next patch for BGII:EE, but it will likely find its way into the BG games at some point.

Can we hope the same thing about 'Max HP' option?

Snowstone said:

That was my plan, the only reason I haven't picked up BGEE for my iPad, was that I was waiting for a sale and because I was afraid the challenge be too frustrating.

Do you also think coming from KOTOR, BG1EE is the best next game? (I would try Mass Effect, but I don't have present/next gen consoles, or PC capable of running the game)

I haven't played Mass Effect, but I've gone through KOTOR twice and it's much easier than BG1. BG is a squad-based game: a party of 6. In dungeons, you have to pretty much move everyone one by one, which can be tedious. You also have to manually sort your inventory.

In BG1, your characters can die in a few hits until you get to level 5 or so. In BG2, you can be instantly killed by spells. But you'll have plenty of tips on these forums to handle BG. Plus, you can turn the difficulty down. You can also pause a lot in combat.

Have you played Fallout 1 or 2? Your character has low hitpoints in that for most character builds. A bit more health than in BG.
    Have Fallout 1 and 2, have yet to play either one. I was hoping KOTOR 2 would already be out for iPad, since currently my computer can't run most games. But since it's not, it's hard to find a game along the same lines, that is either old enough to run on my PC, or on iPad.

Have you looked into other Bioware games? I heard that Jade Empire was okay. :) You could post in the Off Topic forum about game recommendations for the iPad or an older PC. I'm not up on most games past the year 2000. XD

I have Jade Empire, but after I got it, my gaming computer died, meaning my choices of gaming are either very old games that can run with my SIS mirage 3 integrated graphics card powered laptop, or my iPad. Because of this, I try to go for the iPad, just because I can play on the go.

ps: I followed your suggestion and posted on Off Topic, maybe you can drop by ;)
  • amyaeamyae Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2014
    I'm looking forward to story mode for BGEE/BG2EE. I've replayed the games so many times that when I'm playing to try out new mods or see how a different party interacts, having to replay all the combat can get a little tedious. It'd also be good for mod testing. Previously I've used the Uber Weapon from Zyraen's Miscellany (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=158&Itemid=110), but I'm not sure if it works properly in EE.

EDIT: Actually I just tried the Uber Weapon out a bit in BGEE and although the text strings are buggy, it appears to function properly.
    Post edited by amyae on
    amyae said:

I'm looking forward to story mode for BGEE/BG2EE. I've replayed the games so many times that when I'm playing to try out new mods or see how a different party interacts, having to replay all the combat can get a little tedious. It'd also be good for mod testing. Previously I've used the Uber Weapon from Zyraen's Miscellany (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=158&Itemid=110), but I'm not sure if it works properly in EE.

EDIT: Actually I just tried the Uber Weapon out a bit in BGEE and although the text strings are buggy, it appears to function properly.

I think it's something that should be added as soon as possible, not only for the reasons you mention it, but especially for people, like me, that want to get into the games and skip a bit of the possible frustration of getting to know how the DnD rules work.