Skip to content

Any chance there will be a mod connecting IWDee and BGee?

rion26rion26 Member Posts: 25
edited November 2014 in IWD:EE Mods
The prerequisites seem better than ever now that IWDee is out, I guess it should be less effort than porting BG1 to BG2 (Trilogy, TuTu Mod) or IWD to BG2 (Neverending Journey Mod), wich all has been done before. Is there any project you know about going on atm trying to connect these games in any way?

Comments

• kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    rion26 said:

The prerequisites seem better than ever now that IWDee is out, I guess it should be less effort than porting BG1 to BG2 (Trilogy, TuTu Mod) or IWD to BG2 (Neverending Journey Mod), wich all has been done before. Is there any project you know about going on atm trying to connect these games in any way?

Why there should be a connection?
    They are in different timelines and places, and there is no sense in connecting different stories imho.
  • rion26rion26 Member Posts: 25
    from the plot point of view you are right, I was more referring to the technical aspect from which it looks quite doable to me (although I could be wrong here too)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I would do this myself if I had the skill and time. Anyway...

The nej forum is active again; it is possible that it will be updated to bgee/iwdee. Not sure
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    apart from different timelines is there a major lore reason that gorion's ward can't be the hero of iwd?

if the timelines were aligned, theoretically, he could have been the one who answered the call from easthaven, before irenicus got to him.

this would be amazingly cool because it would allow you to play iwd with bg1 npc's who don't get the same hack&slash action that bg2 npc's get with ToB.

quest xp rewards would have to be greatly adjusted though.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2014
    for a while I thought about adding hrothgar to the Copper Coronet where he's looking to whisk someone away to lonleywood.

I thought HOW might work as one of those adventures you can get in BG2.

I never played ToTL (lol I'm old it came out after I'd played through HOW back in the day) perhaps it might work as another adventure where Stubbletoes or whatever is in the Copper Coronet also looking to hire some dudes to do some work. That's what he does in the Tavern in Lonleywood right? AFAIK ToTL has nothing to do with the main HOW plot.
    I don´t think the story around it would be the hard part to implement, I peronally wouldn´t mind some kind of time travelling. It´s the Forgotten Realms, crazy things going on there all the time. To me, the perspective of playing one huge game consisting of bg1+2 and iwd plus add ons is just what would make this kind of project immensley appealing.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Adventure Y is reported to have some connections to both IWD and BG.
    meagloth said:

where'd you see that report? I've only seen where it says it takes place a little ways north of BG. Not way north
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

for a while I thought about adding hrothgar to the Copper Coronet where he's looking to whisk someone away to lonleywood.

Hrothgar or Hjollder?
    elminster said:

Hrothgar or Hjollder?
    Hrojlderar. ;)

meagloth said:

where'd you see that report? I've only seen where it says it takes place a little ways north of BG. Not way north
    I think it was on the adventure Y thread, though I can't remember. But I do have some memory of that being said somewhere in a cryptic comment by a dev.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited November 2014
    meagloth said:

meagloth said:

I think it was on the adventure Y thread, though I can't remember. But I do have some memory of that being said somewhere in a cryptic comment by a dev.
    Might have been in the reddit AMA. I recall it being mentioned somewhere as well.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014

I thought HOW might work as one of those adventures you can get in BG2.

I never played ToTL (lol I'm old it came out after I'd played through HOW back in the day) perhaps it might work as another adventure where Stubbletoes or whatever is in the Copper Coronet also looking to hire some dudes to do some work. That's what he does in the Tavern in Lonleywood right? AFAIK ToTL has nothing to do with the main HOW plot.

Atkathla is too far so Hjollder wouldn't look for help there. The only logical place in the BG series to meet him would be the city of Baldur's Gate itself. HoW would go together amazingly with a BG1 party

The story could work like this (i assume a BGT-like setup):

1. you've completed the BG1 main quest
    THE STORY: Hjollder has arrived to town so you board a ship in order to reach Lonelywood
    DIFFICULTY: (lvls 1-9) reduced quest xp rewards (by 40%); no scribing and thieving xp (this doesn't change throughout the trilogy)

2. you finish HoW (but ToTL is not available at this stage!)
    THE STORY: unaltered, but you've learned a bit about yourself from the Seer and Icasaracht as a tie-in to the Bhaalspawn theme; upon killing Icasaracht, you return to Lonelywood where a messenger summons you to Easthaven (NOTE - no TotL at this stage!)
    DIFFICULTY: (lvls 9-11) enemy hp and kill xp reduced by ~30%; bloated quest xp dramatically reduced (by 90% on average); boss fight stays the same

3. you finish the IWD main quest
    THE STORY: unaltered but you learn from Belhifet that someone powerful wants you captured (because he's been communicating with Irenicus for some reason)
    DIFFICULTY: (lvls 11-15) pre Dorn's Deep section of the quest is subtly made tougher (ogre magi and orogs instead of starting goblins, tougher undead, nasty BG2 style yuan-ti mages, tougher ghost elves...), but after that, things are left untouched; nerfed quest-xp (-80%)

--- after this oswald fiddlebender accepts to take you back to Baldur's Gate in his airship, but you're captured ---

4. you play BG2 till Brynnlaw
    THE STORY: unaltered. same stupid canon party; IWD items don't carry over except maybe a handful.
    DIFFICULTY (lvls 15-18) much tougher. on the level of the more difficult SCS and Tactics components (no HoF style raw stat scaling however). total xp yield from kills remains smilar however; quest xp nerfed by ~60%
    *note: Watcher's Keep not available yet

5. you meet Hobart in Brynnlaw and can go to ToTL
    THE STORY: unaltered
    DIFFICULTY (lvl 18) the same kind of changes as with the rest of BG2.

6. you finish BG2
    DIFFICULTY: (lvl 18-22), same as (4)

7, you finish ToB, it stays exactly the same except nerfed quest xp (-40%)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    @bob_veng‌ I would download that mod!
    bob_veng said:

Atkathla is too far so Hjollder wouldn't look for help there. The only logical place in the BG series to meet him would be the city of Baldur's Gate itself. HoW would go together amazingly with a BG1 party

What is far when you can "windwalk" 100s of miles like nothing? What is far if your vision tells you to you seek the heroes of your vision?
    bengoshi said:

@meagloth‌ @smeagolheart‌ @elminster‌

Adventure Y has some interesting ties to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, so I recommend picking that up if you're excited for this.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/565562/#Comment_565562
    Thanks. I guess it was farther back than I thought.
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Well you can use EE Keeper to export your Bg2 party into IWD. Then manually copy over Pictures and Soundsets.

You will lose your Bhaal Spawn Powers. As well as most of your items on your party. Unless there is a mod that add BG2 items to IWD.

Your party would be a PC party so they wouldn't interact like in BG2 or anything.
    Would ist work the other way round too? IWD -> BG2?`
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    You could export IWDS to BG2 if you are playing multiplayer campaign so you wouldn't have any npc's in party.