Skip to content

#10769 Casting animations should complete as spells are cast

GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
edited November 2014 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
Gate70 said:

1. Start a new HoW game with the default party.
2. Respond to Hjollder (all 1's).
3. From the Options Screen (O) select Gameplay > Auto-Pause > Spell Cast > Done > Done > Return to Game.
4. Select Baern (2) and cast Prayer (F7 > Right Arrow > F6).

Observed
The casting animation is partially complete when the spell is cast and the game pauses.

Expected
The casting animation should complete as the spell is cast and the game pauses.

Note
The animation completes as the game is unpaused.

This is as of version 1.3.2058 of IWD:EE and version 1.2. of BGII:EE.
-----------------

How to reproduce this:
1. Open any saved game
2. Cast any spell (while zoomed in)
3. Look closely at the casting graphics as you complete the spell

Observed:
The casting graphics stay there for about a second and then culminate. If you are used to hearing spellcasting sounds in the game, then you will notice that the casting graphics is out of sync with the casting culmination sound.

Expected:
The casting graphics culminate at the same time you complete the spell

Notes:
This bug occurs in the newest version of IWD:EE but does not occur in the mentioned version of BGII:EE nor does it occur in BGII (non-EE). I haven't tested this

=============

How to reproduce this more thoroughly (involves opening a saved game in BGII:EE):
1. Download and unzip the attached casting graphics to your IWD:EE override directory. They are taken from BGII:EE and simply provide an easy way to compare the casting graphics durations for the purpose of finding this bug.
2. Open any saved game in IWD:EE where you have access to time stop and cast the spell, preferrably with autopause. The reason for casting time stop is due to the fact that all animations are frozen at that point in time and you can clearly see the bug happening in IWD:EE
3. Take a screenshot (as I have - see below) the moment time stop is completed in IWD:EE
4. Repeat steps 2. and 3. but in BGII:EE

Observed:
Once you have both screenshots you can compare that the blue-white alteration circle has progressed much farther in BGII:EE than IWD:EE. In IWD:EE, the alteration circle is much smaller and progresses at a lag of about one second.

Notes:
I have done this myself and taken screenshots from both games, see attachments (in addition to the .zipped casting graphics).

Screenshot from IWD:EE (observed behavior) :

Screenshot from BGII:EE (expected behavior) :
Post edited by Gate70 on