Skip to content

Any mods adding sub-races that are not present?

BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17

I never understood why drow and svirfneblin and sofort are not present in this game.
Has anyone rectified this yet?

Thank you.

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

I never understood why drow and svirfneblin and sofort are not present in this game.

Maybe because these games are based on 2E AD&D and in 2E those were not playable races? And never is a really long time. People did not complain about this when BG1 was first released.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17
    Could you two nerds please be more passive aggressive? Svirfneblin and drows are featured in the Icewind Dale campaign. There are better sites for people like you to let go of pent up anger.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    they aren't really useful as PC on a surface oriented campaign.

Drizzt the famous drow is the most famous drow on the surface and especially in the beginning he was facing everyone wanting to kill him / not help him etc.

That would pretty much destroy the game if they made it where everyone reacted to seeing a drow. Maybe deep gnomes would be a little less conspicuous I guess.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

they aren't really useful as PC on a surface oriented campaign.

Drizzt the famous drow is the most famous drow on the surface and especially in the beginning he was facing everyone wanting to kill him / not help him etc.

That would pretty much destroy the game if they made it where everyone reacted to seeing a drow. Maybe deep gnomes would be a little less conspicuous I guess.

yeah but for some reason everyone was really nice to half orcs in icewind dale which is really unrealistic

Could you two nerds please be more passive aggressive? Svirfneblin and drows are featured in the Icewind Dale campaign. There are better sites for people like you to let go of pent up anger.

What is Icewind Dale campaign? Do you mean drow and deep gnomes you encounter in the game? Why not ask for orcs and minotaurs as playable characters?

The most basic answer was already given. When IWD was released it was based on 2E, which had no drow or deep gnomes as playable races. From your comment, I suppose you consider this an unhappy situation. The fact remains that plenty of players that ask for drow (because in truth, they really, really want to play a dual-wielding ranger drow) are ridiculed for not being original. In fact, BIS went as far as allowing the player to meet Drizzt&Co in BG2, where he reacts aggressively if he learns that you are using a character also named Drizzt.

Also, Bob Salvatore once told me he finds it amusing when people play the characters he created in games (OK, he was also amused when I apologized for killing Drizzt&Co in BG2). He, himself never plays them in his own campaigns.

• kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    I too. never understand why they don't let me play this game as a cambion or a half-dragon :D
    To OP I suggest to learn EEKeeper and customize his arty in any way he wants.
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    I know that using the EEKeeper save editor, I made one of my characters a Tiefling in IWDEE. She even had a Tiefling bonus when equipping her with a short bow; think it was +1 to THAC0. The only downside was I think the game labeled her as an extraplanar creature and healing spells would always fail on her. It could have been played as an interesting race penalty, but I just changed her back to a Half-Elf as I didn't want having healing potions the only way to heal her.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    2nd edition FR did have Drow as a playable race. Drow of the Underdark and the Menzobarranzan box set were 2nd edition releases. TSR didn't create those pieces for nothing. The Gnomes handbook I believe had Deep Gnome as well, but I would have to check that one, been a long time since I read it.
    That method is kinda similar to the Ultima games where a fortuneteller would talk to you and you'd pick answers and be whatever the game interpreted you to be from the scripted answers from a fortune teller.

It would have been nice if all the races and sub-races of Icewind Dale 2 made it into Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition. I mean, when I see the words "Enhanced Edition" labeled on a classic title that had a sequel that added content, I think of the devs adding in materials and content with some of it being taken from the sequel. Whether it would make narrative sense or not doesn't really matter to me; what matters more is that something cool has been added in. Half-Orcs weren't in the original and having party members be them doesn't make much sense in the world the first IWD setup, but it's still in there. And you were able to be them in IWD2, so why not bring over the other sub-races?

Adding in sub-races that have never been playable party members before in ANY game may not be feasible...although I think even that is possible and only depends on how creative and dedicated the developers are. However, adding in Assimars, Thieflings, Gray and Gold Dwarfs, Drow and Wild Elves, Deep Gnomes, Strongheart and Ghostheart Halflings...those were something I expected to see and I'm a bit disappointed they aren't in the "Enhanced" game. I'd be okay with modifying the rulesets to accept those sub-races in IWDEE.

I'm kind of hoping those sub-races will be brought to IWDEE in a future patch. I know there's not a huge chance of that happening; I have a feeling if it did happen, it would be in a huge patch that would come after Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition was released. I'd still gladly take it if it were to happen that far in the future, though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor I didn't know about any of the promises of the devs about the EE versions or how difficult it is to incorporate engine features from game to game, though I imagine it being somewhere near "extremely". I didn't even realize there was such a difference between the game engines of IWD and IWD2.

I'm coming at this more with the mindset of a game player who wants cool things in his games, and not a game designer who works within realistic means. Meaning, I think that if they had to make a different game from scratch to work in a bunch of awesome stuff...make a different game from scratch!

It's not what they may have promised, which is fine, but it would still be awesome if that happened. Just updating the original games largely to make them compatible and fix up the bugs is good goal, but as a gamer who knew next to nothing of the engine limitations or what they actually had to work with, I came in expecting maybe a little more than I got. As that gamer I wonder why they can't just rework the Infinity Engine or create new assets because, hey: it's their game after all. And shouldn't they be able to do whatever they want with their game? My fault for not researching and realizing what can/would happen, I suppose. I don't think I'm alone though; I think it's one of the reasons people still ask if buying the EE versions is worth the extra money. They want to know if they are getting a lot more than slight updates to the originals.

I'm still very happy with the end product and any future content that is in store for the three Enhanced games that we have. To me, the games are well worth the price, especially after the patches came out. I just think that it would be great if well...more content were added! Like some of the character creation content of IWD2, for example. It would be great if Beamdog didn't just "update the original" inside the confines of outdated rulesets and old internal software that ties them down, but did more of their own, outside-the-box kind of thing. Like if they took the games and made them there own; made clear identifiable game design changes that made you go "Yeah, now THIS is different! This is Beamdog's game, not Bioware's!" If that takes an entirely new game to do all that, so be it! Hopefully that will be the case if they ever get down to making Icewind Dale 3 or Baldur's Gate 3.

I do, however, feel almost the opposite with any talk of Planescape: Torement EE. If that ever gets off the ground, sticking to what works would probably be for the best, at least with the characters, story, and dialogue. That combat system, though...that could use some reworking. That's the one thing in that game that needs enhancing.
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Remember IWD2 is 3rd edition while IWD is 2nd edition. I think there won't be an IWD2 EE or Torment EE. Those infinity engine games were different then BG, BG2 and IWD. Torment was under development same time BG1 was. So they couldn't drop Torment or IWD2 into the EE engine. Like they were able to Dump BG1 into BG2 then use it for IWD EE with slight deviations for game content.

I would assume if they (Beamdog) made a new game or sequel it would have to be 5th edition D&D ruleset. As I doubt Wizards of the Coast would let a new game be development under 2nd or 3rd. Remember the EE games are just remakes not new games. That's why game content wasn't really altered.

Beamdog does have a good relationship with WotC so it is possible for a 5th edition game I think. That is probably beamdog's goal.

Remember the EE engine was able to get 3 games out of it. BG1, BG2 and IWD. IWD2 and Torment cant use that engine so I doubt they would waste time doing EE editions of those games just to be single off games.

Unless somehow they manage to get Torment in the EE engine. But it would play different then the original Torment so not sure if that would be allowed.

5th Edition is so new I'm not even sure about planes or if a sequel could be done under 5th edition.

I think IWD3 under 5th edition makes the most sense. Maybe a BG3 if it didn't follow the Bhaalspawn and was just a sequel to the area around Baldurs Gate city.

@jimmysdabestcop The last I heard from the developers about Icewind Dale 2 EE and Planescape: Torment EE is maybe it will, maybe it won't, but they've been in talks with WotC for a long time and are trying to make it happen. They pretty much said that in the last Reddit AMA they held a couple weeks ago.

Personally I hope both games happen. In regards to Icewind Dale 2 EE, It would just seem unfinished to make EE versions of both Baldur's Gate games and the first Icewind Dale game and then just leave the sequel in the dust. I know everyone keeps saying IWD2 is 3rd Edition and not 2nd Edition like the first three games, but I still don't see that as a valid reason not to remake the game. If they can't port the games over into the EE engine, tweak IWD2's game engine to make similar improvements to that engine. That might be difficult or a hassle, but I would consider that a hassle worth giving my money to.

I'd personally pay $20 or more for an updated version of Planescape: Torment if it did things like reworked the class system, made adjustments to party NPCs, and overhauled the combat. Throw in a few things like more side quests, items, and areas and I'd gladly pay full price for a truly "Enhanced Edition"!
    edited December 2014
    No matter what the original intent of the devs was, they could of created more races when creating the game. Personally, I'm glad they didn't. I prefer the core rules. I'm sure they had limitations when creating, mainly money and a schedule.
    Post edited by Blades on

Blades said:

No matter what the original intent of the devs was, they could of created more races when creating the game.

But, they didn't create the game. They took an already-existing game and shoehorned it into an already-existing engine. New races - new anything, for the most part - was never in the cards.
    Sorry, I meant the original devs from the vanilla versions.
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    Whenever I want to play a drow I make an elf and make his skin color black and hair white, I use my imagination to fill in the rest

Whenever I want to play a drow I make an elf and make his skin color black and hair white, I use my imagination to fill in the rest

Whenever I wanted to create a CG drow in IWD2 I resisted the temptation and made a CN duergar druid instead.
    edited December 2014
    edited December 2014
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    All rangers are supposed to be Aragon. Kids today!