Skip to content

Your ideas for good arena party

Hi, i'm interested to hear your ideas for good arena teams (black pits ect) and give me your opinion on mine.
My party is as follows (a proper "evil be gone!" party)

Human-Cavalier

Human-Inquisitor

Human-Undead Hunter

Dwarf-Fighter/Cleric

Human-Ranger/Thief (is this possible without mods?)

Human-Evoker

Not 100% sure on this party, some advice would be appreciated :) (the 3 pallys stay though lol)

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @Krongir‌ Sounds fairly decent. Like I said before, more casters (in this case arcane) might be useful in the long run with the Evoker's prohibited schools.

If you want to make a Ranger/Thief, use EEKeeper: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-2/p1
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Ditch one of the paladins for a cg berserker:berserk is powerful defensively, and this guy levels up a bit faster than pallies and can attain grandmastery in a weapon, dual-wield them, and with improved haste he will be a beast.

I would reccomend a cg sorcerer also, instead of the bookish evoker. Scrolls are very expensive especially high lvl ones and a well built sorc is a power house. You will save a hundred thousand of gold approx.

Make your fighter/cleric a half elf ranger/cleric:free dual wielding and all those nice druid spells şike Ironskins, Insect swarm, fire elementals etc. on top of usual cleric goodies.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I'm about halfway though BP2 in my current run, so my take on the strong party has changed a bit:
    Human Inquisitor - as always, a godly powerful class
    Elven Sorcerer (not dragon disciple)
    Human Assassin 12 -> Mage (Tuigan Bow + Improved Haste + Poison Weapon + Timestop = instant death for most enemy spellcasters)
    Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
    Dwarven Berserker
    Human Kensai 14 ->Thief
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    2x Dwarven defender, Inquisitor, Ranger/Cleric, 2x Sorcerer... and you will be yawing while fighting.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Ancalagon44‌ I don't think assassins can be good?

My best (good) TBP2 team was

Inquisitor
    Barbarian
    Ranger/Cleric
    Kensai
    Archer
    Sorcerer
    Surprisingly they can - I have a neutral good human male assassin 12 -> Mage in my latest playthrough. Possible bug?

That being said, when I opened this thread, I thought the word good was not referring to alignment but to utility. Then I saw the evil party thread and realized!
  • KrongirKrongir Member Posts: 19
    @ancalagon44 yeah good alignment parties, I can see the easy mistake to make though

@lunar what do you mean by cg? Will definitely take you up on the sorcerer advice as well as the ranger/cleric, will I really need a thief for the arena's. Are they essential?
  • KrongirKrongir Member Posts: 19
    manero said:

2x Dwarven defender, Inquisitor, Ranger/Cleric, 2x Sorcerer... and you will be yawing while fighting.

That party sounds insane :D
    cg = Chaotic Good

No, you don't need a thief for the arenas. Between arenas, there are things you could pickpocket and some extra things you can do (traps to disarm, etc etc). But it is optional.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah I meant chaotic good, this alignment suits sorcerers and berserkers, I think. And it is a nice contrast between holier-than-thou lawful good paladins in your party.

A thief is useful in outside of the arena, their combat prowess is somewhat lacking in bp2 as you can't set traps very reliably other than at the very start of the combat. So a multi or dual thief is way to go. Shadowdancers have unique high level abilities, however I haven't tested them and can't comment how well they work against tough foes. They get simulacrum and mislead type of abilities IIRC.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,078
    Go with six paladins. They're all good pals.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I think thief is useless unless you take a shadowdancer that can hide in shadows anytime and chain backstab during battle. Druid (insect plague, creeping doom, summoning) Mage (time stop imprisonment) and Archer were the most useful for me. Also wizard slayer is terrific against caster.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @ifupauline Shadowdancers are equally useless in tier 3 fights, their HLA's don't hit that hard. I can tell from experience..:D

Here's what I'm rolling atm:
    Human Inquisitor
    Dwarven D. Defender
    Human Priest of Helm
    Human Stalker
    Half-Elf Dragon Disciple (with d6 HD, con and AC bonuses these guys can actually take some hits and live)
    Half-Elf Shadowdancer

Here's what I hope I had done differently:
    I should've dual-classed my cleric from ranger, the druid spells would've come in handy.
    An archer would be a better choice than stalker, the end-tier guys all have true sight capability. And archer would be even more kick-ass with bows.
    As I said, the shadowdancer is pretty much decorative on tier 3 fights. A multi-classed F/T or M/T would've been much better, either frontlining or support-spellcasting. I wouldn't want to leave thieves out of the picture though.
  • dan8080dan8080 Member Posts: 1
    Just beat Black Pits II ! That final battle was a challenge!

My team
    Cleric/Ranger multiclass (crom fayer/runehammer)
    Inquisitor (Holy Avenger)
    2 x Dragon Disciple (robe of vecna for one of 'em)
    Archer (with FireTooth xbow)
    Berserker (spectral brand or axe of unyeilding / belm)

Most battles weren't too hard. There's a room to rest in before fighting, and you can see the next fight monsters below. The ultimate guide is here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29638/the-black-pits-ii-items-and-rewards-guide

My team rarely had to refight any battles until the final one.

My beserker was the least useful of the team. Maybe I had spec'd the wrong weapons for him. IMO Crom Fayer is the best single handed weapon. The beserker was good against the mind flayers and such when he goes beserk.

My Inquisitor was needed to tank the Winged because she has a vorpal weapon that instal kills everyone, but doesn't work on him. Not sure why.

The archer with firetooth can damage monsters others can't do much to so is invaluable. Did most of the damage to the winged.

The cleric/ranger has armor and ironskins and heal and res, enuff said. Weakness is that the good cleric/druid spells are slow to cast.

A single sorc would do instead of 2 DD. There's only 1 robe of vecna (not willing to cheat). DD were useful early on, but their extra abilities don't matter much in the final battle. Wear the robe of vecna, then cast timestop, then improved alacrity, then you can insta cast a lot of spells!

2 sorcs with contingency -> 6 al hazims! Have the sorcs rush the non magic resist enemies for greatest effect. Maybe that's why it is good to use DD instead.