Skip to content

icewind dale and icewind dale 2

skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
Ive never actually finished the first icewind dale but ive restarted so many times that ive burnt myself out on fighting the same enemy's and doing the same quests so I decided to take break and come back to it in a couple months. I still want to play a game that uses dnd rules though and I thought id finally try icewind dale 2, I thought I read somewhere that it takes place like a 100 or so years after the first game. would I need to finish the first game to understand the second and if I did play the second are there spoilers in it pertaining to the first game?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It takes place 30 years after the events of Icewind Dale 1. You don't need to play the first one to understand the second, though it certainly won't hurt if you have.
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    ok thanks does the second one have any references that might spoil the plot of the first game for me?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    To a degree yes.
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    darn, ok thanks
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I still want to play a game that uses dnd rules though and I thought id finally try icewind dale 2,

Keep in mind that Icewind Dale 2 uses 3rd edition D&D rules, which is significantly different than those used in the first version, which uses 2nd Edition rules.

would I need to finish the first game to understand the second and if I did play the second are there spoilers in it pertaining to the first game?

Any references from the first game are only minor things like geographical info etc. Plot wise, there's no connection between the two at all.

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Belanos said:

Any references from the first game are only minor things like geographical info etc. Plot wise, there's no connection between the two at all.

The plot actually is linked but it's so tenuous that the link might as well not exist