Skip to content

Update December, 11. A new Trent Oster's IWDEE interview released only now. Parts 1&2

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
It's a nighttime in Moscow already. Everyone around the world is beta testing BG2EE and suddenly I find the new interview with the main Developer.

It won't give you any breaking news but it's still entertaining to read. And you know what? My favourite IWDEE kit - a totemic druid - happens to be the favourite of Trent!

"GamesBeat: Would that also be your new favorite kit added to the game?

Oster: Let me think. I think my favorite was the spirit druid. You could summon a spirit bear or a spirit snake. His snake was devastating. It was everywhere, all over the screen. You could barely see it, and all of a sudden it would just pop in and be murdering things. Go, snake! I think the spirit druid, by far."

Yay! Agree 100%.

The part I also like:

"GamesBeat: What is it about Icewind Dale, in your opinion, that keeps people coming back?

Oster: I think it was just an amazing sense of atmosphere in its time. They did the whole frozen north, cold — it just had an environmental presence that other games at the time didn’t have. It’s still true. The artwork is beautiful. You look at the area art — I’m still looking at it going, damn, those guys were good. We got to know a bunch of the guys down at Black Isle while we were working on the Baldur’s Gate stuff. We shared — there was actually a point where I was working as a 3D artist, and some of the guys actually tutored me on how to make better-looking stuff. They were just a really strong art team. They made a beautiful-looking game. With us, we were able to go in and take the stuff that was there and improve it where we could, but in many cases it was just taking the original source and instead of running through this complex process of grinding it all up and paletizing it and putting it into different chunks — our new system basically just works with the raw images and puts them, not straight into the game, but it puts them in the game at a lot higher quality."

The whole interview is here: http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/09/how-a-tiny-studio-enhanced-icewind-dale-and-other-classic-dd-games-interview-part-1/view-all/
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    A great read to start my post-study relaxation this evening =]
    And now time to get out of Irenicus dungeon...
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Thx :smiley:
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Great find, I love reading interviews.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    ..."We have the best relationship with the D&D team"... That is so cool to hear :D