Skip to content

Is this Version "Editable" as was the Original Shadows Of Amn?

In the original version, we - referring to the Borg Clan, used several "editing tools" to enchance our characters, and more importantly the "scripts" could be enhanced with our own "scripts" that we used while exploring and or "dueling" each other as well as the "general populace of players.
Just wondered if the "Enhanced Edition" will still allow us that "freedom"?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You can use eekeeper to edit save files, creature files, and character files. Shadowkeeper works well with bg2:ee too.

Dltcep works well with bg2 to edit areas, spells, items, creatures, and to some extent, scripts.

Many mods are being converted to enhanced edition of bg2 as well.
  • I hate to bother you but do you know if the Original BG 2 - shadows of Amn will work on Windows 7 or should I just pick up the new Enhanced Version? Amazon has some of the original versions for sale - - cheap~!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

I hate to bother you but do you know if the Original BG 2 - shadows of Amn will work on Windows 7 or should I just pick up the new Enhanced Version? Amazon has some of the original versions for sale - - cheap~!

Sometimes it works but it depends on your pc as well as the OS, it's probably easier for you to just get the EE.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2014
    I am not sure about the whatever version is being sold on Amazon, but Baldur's Gate 2 Complete Edition on GOG does work on Windows 7.

http://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_complete
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2014
    If you buy from Amazon you won't be able to use your hacked toons to "duel" each other as well the "general populace of players" in multiplayer on EE multiplayer games.
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    edited December 2014
    lunar said:

I would highly reccomend the enhanced edition. The price may be a bit more, but it is nothing when compared to hours/days/months even years of fun you will have by playing it.

I played bg2 original as well for years, and now I just can not go back to it. After experiencing the enhanced edition, it feels so dated, clumsy and slow. Enhanced editions new features, sleek improved engine, high definiton user interface, no load times, and zoom feature really spoiled me, I guess. Plus enhanced edition content such as Black Pits 2 and all those interesting new npcs with quests and areas...they are very good, too. Adds hours of game play and immense replay value. Not to mention enhanced editions are supported actively, new patches/features will be available and mods will be developed for mostly this version from now on. There is even talk about a mysterious adventure y that will be released in the future. While original bg2 seems...dead, now, to be honest. Other than its nostalgic value, it has no support from developers, no more enthusiastic modding now that enhanced editions are here, etc.

Enhanced edition is not just a quick dye-job on an old game. It offers many solid improvements, a lot of new content and make the game more enjoyable and lively.

I'm guessing the cheque is in the mail

Realistically though, if you aren't interested in modding or multiplayer, none of the enhanced editions are worth their full asking price.

That said, multiplayer simply doesn't work on the original releases so OP shouldn't even consider anything other than EE

And to answer the original question - yes, the Enhanced Editions allow the same and more of this type of freedom
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Silchas said:

Realistically though, if you aren't interested in modding or multiplayer, none of the enhanced editions are worth their full asking price.

That's strictly your opinion. I happen to think they're all worth buying if you enjoy these kinds of games. Especially IWD. There has been so much added compared to the original that it's almost like a new game. And it's also the lowest price of the lot.

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Yes, its the same as the original - just write your scripts like the old days (I still use ConText ), compile with weidu or NI (or whatever you used to use) and drop in your override :smiley: