Skip to content

Interesting equipment build for a fighter

boxmanboxman Member Posts: 19
So I have this awesome idea for a character and wanted to share/see if anybody else has done a play through like this. I found a bastard sword of explosions +2 which has a 50% chance of shooting off a fireball whenever you land a hit. I seem to recall from the original icewind dale that this is a fairly common type of enchantment and there are several other 1-handed weapons that do the same thing. With dual wielding available now, why not give two such weapons to a fighter and pump up your fire resistance to 100%. You'd have a constantly exploding killing machine. Just keep your other party members far, far away...
FinneousPJwubblejackjackShikaoJuliusBorisovkcwise

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    it could be awesome but would the awesome fireball explodiness outweigh the lack of other party members
    kcwise
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Dragon Disciple could tag a long with no problems at higher levels. The others would just have to be ranged and/or casters.
    wubbleJuliusBorisovkcwise
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    If this is the Bastard Sword+2: Conflagration, it only has a 10% chance of releasing a Fireball, and is a random drop.
    kcwise
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    boxman said:

So I have this awesome idea for a character and wanted to share/see if anybody else has done a play through like this. I found a bastard sword of explosions +2 which has a 50% chance of shooting off a fireball whenever you land a hit. I seem to recall from the original icewind dale that this is a fairly common type of enchantment and there are several other 1-handed weapons that do the same thing. With dual wielding available now, why not give two such weapons to a fighter and pump up your fire resistance to 100%. You'd have a constantly exploding killing machine. Just keep your other party members far, far away...

Are confusing the 50% fire resistance the Bastard Sword +2: Conflagration grants with the 10% chance it has of casting a level 6 fireball? The only other bastard sword I can think of that you might be thinking of would be the Bastard Sword +3: Incinerator (which has a 50% chance of causing an additional 1d8 fire damage) but its not aoe damage.
    kcwise
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I think this would be more of a party strategy than just a single character.

With a bit of tweaking you could probably produce a significant amount of AoE fire damage and have all or almost all of the party with 100%+ fire resistance.

For instance:
    Dragon Disciple
    Druid
    Cleric
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Bard
    Mage

Can all cast protection from fire et al on themselves and with 17+ wisdom on the divines you'd have enough spell slots to get everyone by about level 5.

It's worth noting that not all fire protection effects stack but I've never figured out the specifics of this.

Fireball becomes available in Dragons Eye at which point you'd be ready to begin the mayhem assuming a Dragon Disciple, a Mage (maybe Wild Mage or a dual?) etc.

The Druid could eventually make use of Fire Elemental form or even Fire Salamander if playing an Avenger.

The real tedious part of this is that there isn't a mass protection from fire spell.

The last obvious aspect of this is that there is heaps of gear that confers fire resistance starting with the mantle from Lysan and including Icingdeath +3.
    kcwise
  • boxmanboxman Member Posts: 19
    oops, you're right, it is 10% chance, but I do remember there being a club from HOW also launches fireballs.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Dragon's Breath was a club that gave you a 20% chance of doing a fireball on hit, but it was removed from the random loot table by the Heart of Winter expansion.
    jackjack