Skip to content

Dragon Age birds and bees question

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
Here is a question for all of you Dragon Age fans and something that's been bugging me for awhile since replaying Origins:

Why are there no half races like Half-elf or half-dwarf or even a Dwelf? Has it ever been explained?

Morrigan being able to carry the warden's child at the end of Origins, plus Zathrian's sad tale with his daughter suggests it is possible for humans to reproduce with other races... so where are all the half people?

Comments

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Elves and humans produce humans. I seem to remember somewhere in the codex that there is such a thing as a half-dwarf but dwarves almost always stick to their own so they're rare and stuff.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Well, actually, humans with elf blood are called elf-blooded or half-elven. in fact, the PC has met a couple of them throughout the games.

Alistair, Feynriel, and Kieran are the most notable.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Elf-blooded

As for the dwarves, they mostly keep to themselves...most of the time.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I would like to remind you all also that elves are discriminated against in the DA world. City elves live in alienages, which are basically like a slum, and work as slaves. Therefore, it would be uncommon for there to be a half elf, as no human would want to bed them, nor would the elves feel any different. Of course there are always exceptions, but that is the general rule in the DA world. Also as others said dwarves would mostly keep to themselves, but obviously it is possible as Morrigan can have a child with a dwarf PC.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2014
    Actually, Leliana and Zevran say that humans often find elves to be beautiful and physically attractive. So, it really isn't all that uncommon for Human and Elven...intimacies to happen. Now, do all of them produce children? No, but we do get to meet a handful of elf-blooded in the games.

As for no human wanting to bed elves from the alienage? The City Elf origin proves that wrong right away.
    In fact, Vaughn and his goons beat, and probably raped, Shianni. They were probably going to do the same to the other lady elves.

Oh, and Isabela and Zevran hook up several times throughout their history.

There's also another Human x Elf couple that was in The Masked Empire, that shows up in Inquisition. Though, this couple can't have children.
    Empress Celene and Briala. You can get them to reconcile in Inquisition.

Maric was also in love with a couple of elves back in his day.
    Grand Enchanter Fiona, back when she was a Grey Warden and she's Alistair's mom. There's also Katriel from The Stolen Throne.

Dragon Age 2 is a huge Human and Elf interaction, and that isn't even including Hawke going with Fenris, Merrill, or stealing a kiss from Tallis.
    You've got Danarius and Fenris, and yes, they had an intimate relationship, the great and magnificent Gaider said so. Vincento and Arianni, which resulted in Feynriel being born. Kelder had a thing for female elves. Fenris and Isabela will hook up if neither of them are romanced. One of the Harriman boys were about to do it with an elven chick. Ninette and Jethann(P.S. He's voiced by Mark Meer!) is another.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well any DA2 reference I have pretty much forgotten about, and I generally play human nobles in Origins. maybe I didn't know the subject too well. i guess despite them being looked down upon many people may find them beautiful and desirable. maybe they have less desire to actually have kids with them, though.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You remember those kind of-barbarians with the dogs in the warcamp at the start of DA:O? They speak of how they learned the art of berserking from the dwarves, and how it was brought to them by Somedude Half-dwarf. So if that guy's byname is anything to go by, then dwarf mixes would be confirmed as well.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

well any DA2 reference I have pretty much forgotten about, and I generally play human nobles in Origins. maybe I didn't know the subject too well. i guess despite them being looked down upon many people may find them beautiful and desirable. maybe they have less desire to actually have kids with them, though.

Yeah, but I doubt they had a whole lot of options for birth control in the DA universe. Also, even if they did have kids, it wouldn't be their problem. If a poor elf living in a slum gets knocked up by a human it's not like they can sue for child support.

Based on the real world, people don't seem to have any problem have sex with slaves/lower class people. Whether or not the sex was consensual is another matter. Just look at slavery in the US. Hell, Thomas Jefferson had a bunch of kids with one of his slaves.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    There's a theory if I recall correctly that Sandal is actually the bastard son of King Endrin and a human (maybe elven?) woman. If true, then I guess it's possible for half-dwarves, just not that common.
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261

maybe they have less desire to actually have kids with them, though.

And what exactly are they gonna do about it? Wear condom?