Skip to content

How often do you use spell scrolls and wands?

2»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Gotural said:

As a side note, spells casted from scrolls cannot be interrupted which is AMAZING in a no-reload playthrough, I often carry a scroll of Invisibility for this reason alone ;)

I thought I remember doing the full cast time. I could be mistaken though.
    Are you wearing robes of vecna and amulet of power maybe?
    They do the full cast time but can't be interrupted.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    elminster said:

Gotural said:

As a side note, spells casted from scrolls cannot be interrupted which is AMAZING in a no-reload playthrough, I often carry a scroll of Invisibility for this reason alone ;)

I thought I remember doing the full cast time. I could be mistaken though.
    Are you wearing robes of vecna and amulet of power maybe?
    They do the full cast time but can't be interrupted.
    Whaaaaaaa

Time to reroll shadowdancer
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    Scrolls/wands are exceptionally useful and I use them all the time. I'm surprised that so few people make use of scrolls. Many spells don't scale per level and are just as powerful cast from a scroll as they are memorized (invisibility, remove fear, breach, ruby ray, and many more). There are also many situational spells, like vocalize, that aren't worth memorizing but are handy to keep around as scrolls. I suppose if you rest after every fight then it doesn't matter, but you're skipping out on a valuable tactical resource if you ignore scrolls.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206

Scrolls/wands are exceptionally useful and I use them all the time. I'm surprised that so few people make use of scrolls. Many spells don't scale per level and are just as powerful cast from a scroll as they are memorized (invisibility, remove fear, breach, ruby ray, and many more). There are also many situational spells, like vocalize, that aren't worth memorizing but are handy to keep around as scrolls. I suppose if you rest after every fight then it doesn't matter, but you're skipping out on a valuable tactical resource if you ignore scrolls.

I like to steal restoration scrolls too
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

There are also many situational spells, like vocalize, that aren't worth memorizing but are handy to keep around as scrolls. I suppose if you rest after every fight then it doesn't matter, but you're skipping out on a valuable tactical resource if you ignore scrolls.

actually i do keep that invisible scroll of pw:reload around to counter rarely seen effects such as silence
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    That 6 Wands with one charge left just happens to be a requirement [almost] of exiting Chateau Irenicus --at which point the game almost immediately steers you to a Merchant selling Potions of Master Thievery, a merchant one can Steal from, is easy to critique from the POV of game design.

2 or 3 Wands procured in interesting ways [Cambion, Vampire, the last group of Shadow Thieves before exiting] might be an interesting Storyline....but 6 of them that you have to immediately sell/resteal [pfui!], one of which comes from an Oytugh(?) is a bit much for a well-plotted playthrough. Would have been better if they had been recoverable from Lehtinan's rumored stash after cleaning up the Copper Coronet. IMHO-IMHO, of course.

Nevertheless, I use them all [except: Lightning], especially Wands of Fire, Magic Missile, Paralysis and Monster Summoning. Wand of Cloudkill, though, which allows spamming a Level 5 spell, should probably have been Stinking Cloud...

Really speaking, the ability to go into Inventory while game is Paused, something impossible in Vanilla BG1, makes a mockery of the idea that NPCs only have so many quick-slots[[2 Thumbs Way Up from Minsc/Boo!!], or that F/M/T only has one Weapon slot. It also makes Scrolls of Protection MUCH more useable.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

*snip* or that F/M/T only has one Weapon slot. *snip*

Not to derail the discussion, but F/M/Ts have two quickweapon slots. I do recall some multiclass combo having only one, but it's neither F/M/Ts, F/M/Cs, or C/Ts, which seemed the only likely candidates to me. Perhaps they changed it for the EEs?
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    In BG2 I rarely use wands, and only use scrolls if I already memorized the spell detailed on it. In BG1? Wands win the game easily for the most part. The Sleep Wand will get you through the first few chapters easily.