Skip to content

Companion levels

I just started a new game and imported a level 10 bard from BGEE. While Imoen and Jaheira simply received 161.000 experience, Minsc was at level 10, which for a ranger means 800.000 experience.

I remember this happened in version 1.0, but I thought it had been fixed in the first patch. Is this a 1.3 thing or has it always been like this?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    That is just because of how Minsc's experience table works. Its always been like that.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    elminster said:

That is just because of how Minsc's experience table works. Its always been like that.

@elminster‌
    Can you elaborate on this please? I assume you mean it's somehow related to Charname's level, not his xp.

I ask because I transferred a Fighter/Mage with about 180k xp (removed cap) from BGEE into BG2 vanilla (GOG version), and Minsc did not start off at lv10. In fact, if I remember correctly, he started with about 80k xp.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    The NPC level is determined by Charname's level.

Check http://gibberlings3.net/iesdp/files/2da/2da_tob/npclevel.htm

If your bard has the level 10, Minsk should have the level 10 as well. So, in your case, @Kefka‌ , everything is allright. It has always been the case.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Multi-classes work differently. Not sure on why you'd start out on the level 7 version (BG2 though might have a bug there).

What level charname is determines Minscs level yes.

In Shadows of Amn you can pick Minsc up at either level 7, 8, 9, 10 or 12.

Level 7 version has 90,000 xp
    Level 8 has 161,000 xp
    Level 9 has 400,000 xp
    Level 10 has 800,000 xp
    Level 12 has 1.2 million xp.

Rangers after all have a progression table that looks like this.

Level 7 needs 75,000 xp
    Level 8 needs 150,000 xp
    Level 9 needs 300,000 xp
    Level 10 needs 600,000 xp
    Level 12 needs 1.2 million xp.

If you are a level 10 single class character then you'll get Minsc at level 10, which in this case means he has 800,000 xp. Its probably the only major advantage he gets on Valygar (it means earlier access to HLA's), so I tend to favour him keeping it.