Skip to content

How old were you the first time you played BG?

sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
I've seen a different Poll asking how old you are now, but I'm curious how old you were the first time you played, be it bg1 or bg2.
  1. How old were you the first time you played BG?253 votes
    1. 0-10
      19.37%
    2. 11-15
      45.85%
    3. 16-20
      18.97%
    4. 21-25
        8.30%
    5. 26-30
        3.16%
    6. 31-35
        2.37%
    7. 36-40
        1.58%
    8. 41+
        0.40%

Comments

• SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I believe I was about 10 exactly.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    12. I know I've played RPGs before Baldur's Gate, Diablo 2 comes to mind, but for some reason I think it's the RPG that really made me enjoy, and from then on mostly play, mages.
  • Gun19Gun19 Member Posts: 48
    I was 20. Feel old now thx to this thread! :P
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I was 21 or 22. A poor student at the time, I bought BG together with a friend. I'm still grateful to him for introducing me to the game. (My wallet necessarily isn't - I've bought BG and BG2 several times since that :)
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    I remember BG blew my mind; prior to its release I think I was messing around with one of the Wizardry titles. Everything about it made BG the benchmark game for my life up to this point.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Hard to say since I can't remember when I got it. But I remember when BG2 came out so I'd say I was between 10 to 11 years old.
  • phyltybophyltybo Member Posts: 12
    I was about 14, my friend had it on Pentium 233... which I think at the time was a beast!
  • SurvivorSurvivor Member Posts: 68
    I think I was about 14 when I first played BG. I had seen the game before but thought that it looked boring because all I had seen was the tutorial-like section of Candlekeep which I had played in a shopping mall. A few months later, I stumbled upon the game again and because it only costed 5 German mark and I liked the cardboard which held the CDs I bought it. Needless to say I'm glad that I did because no other game as entertained my for such a long time.
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    I was just nine years old when my parents bought it for me for Christmas in 2002. Not withstanding my obsessive playing of the game and my lack of understanding of its rules (I thought you could enhance the level cap with an item or quest....many hours were spent trying to figure that out in vain), I discovered the game by sheer accident.

My mom picked up Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance randomly while shopping for some games back in early '02 - she said it looked "neat". After playing it and enjoying the hell out of that game, I looked to see if there were any other games in the series, and found that there was an older PC version of the game (again, I knew absolutely nothing about D&D at that point or the differences between the two series). I requested that she get the game, and the rest is history - I inadvertently became exposed to the greatest RPG series ever created as well as the other excellent games in the D&D universe (PS:T, IWD, NWN and more). I still can't state just how lucky I am that she decided to pick that game over the others in the store...as much as people rip the Dark Alliance series it's what introduced me to the Baldur's Gate series.

Thanks mom!
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 94
    At eight I had fallen in love with the demo, I bought the game as soon as I could.
    I still remember the day I bought it.
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    OMG, I am the oldest in the poll! Played it first in 1999 - I played AD&D with dice, paper and metal figures for fifteen years prior to that! Makes me feel very, very old...
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102

OMG, I am the oldest in the poll! Played it first in 1999 - I played AD&D with dice, paper and metal figures for fifteen years prior to that! Makes me feel very, very old...

Since BG came out in 98, I was 32 years old. However, I was playing D&D long before then. I still fondly remember TSR's gold box series, particulary Pool of Radiance which came out in 88, which made me 22 at that time....wow...I do feel old now...:(

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    26-30 and 31-35, Thank you for helping me feel so young ;)
  • whitewolfwhitewolf Member Posts: 12
    My uncle lent me the game when I was about 13 in '99 it was the first rpg I played. Attempted a wizard first time and died really early on before giving up and choosing a Ranger :)
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I was 16
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    8 years old and didn't speak English... and was scared of Imoen. Ahh... good times! :)
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I was fifteen I think, a friend of mine's entire family was into 2nd Edition DnD as well as the BG games, they introduced me to both. Been a fan ever since.
  • WoldanWoldan Member Posts: 41
    About 9 1/2 years old, I always watched my sister play BG1, one day she finished the game and I gave it a shot. That was the fateful day when my RPG addiction started.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

8 years old and didn't speak English... and was scared of Imoen. Ahh... good times! :)

HEYA, IT'S ME, IMOEN! and then a hooded assassin type comes running at you. I can see how that might be scary.
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    13 when I first saw my friend playing BG 2 in 2000. It was a revelation as I watched my friend escape from Irenicus' dungeon, all the dialogue and the fantasy combat. Managed to snag a copy of it from people at school. Then when watching the opening cinematic realised that there was important story in BG that I was missing out on and so I stopped playing til I could get that.

Tracked down the last copy of BG in the area through lots of phonecalls to anywhere that sold video games. Nowhere had ToTSC though, still yet to play through that.
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    I was 15, i remember it like it was yesterday. Friend bought english version of the game and some days later lent it to me. It was one of the first, and best game i ever played on my new pc that i got for having good grades. At that time 400mhz processor with 64mb ram and 16mb video card was really nice :D
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    9! My older cousin was playing it when I came to visit his house, got immediately hooked.
  • JozapeJozape Member Posts: 12
    12 or 13. I never saw the ending till I was 20 though.
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    I did a terrible job reading the manual and did not understand how to transition between areas. I thought the wilderness outside candlekeep was the whole game for about a day. I remember the screen shots on the back of the box were so cool, but I accused them of being some sort of bait and switch.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    12 and didnt even know english that well back then.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I was born in 89, and I think I was 9 or 10 when I first played Baldur's Gate. I was never any good though, I'd pick up Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Xzar and Montaron, get to Beregost and just sit there. The open road was too frightening for a 10 year old, plus I liked quarter-staves so everyone had one which dramatically lowered my party effectiveness.
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    I must've been 7 or 8 when I first started playing. It was originally my Dad's game (he's quite a bit D&D fan), but after becoming interested about how the whole game worked, and how it was different to anything I'd ever played before, naturally I wanted a go!
    I was very late getting into the Baldur's Gate series, compared to many other members I've seen on here. That must've been about 2003/04 when I first had a go (I'll be 16 a week today). It was quite a while later that we finally discovered there was a BGII, so in a way, the wait for a new game hasn't been very long for me. The other good thing is it's only been in more recent years that I've actually played the game 'properly', and not just mucked about attempting to kill Gorion every time with my new character.
    I'd even go as far to say I still find certain areas in the game quite unfamiliar. The good thing about that is it means every time a play through, there's always something fresh and new explore, and BG:EE couldn't have come at a better time, considering I'm becoming more and more familiar with the game each time.
    One thing that has to be said though, is that even though I'm used to being exposed to more technologically advanced games at a younger age (like all of the PS3 games with amazing graphics, as well as all the Wii 'you are the controller' stuff), Baldur's Gate has always remained my favourite game of all time, and I've yet to find a game better than it, despite it being 14 years old!
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    When I was 16, I met a friend in school that talked about "Baldurs Gate". He lent me the game, I couldn't manage to work out how to play and dropped it. Next summer I was bored, installed it and I was stuck all summer to the screen. Funny thing, that friend had a younger brother who collected ALL forgotten realms games.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I was 15 at the time and has just finished Fallout 1. Then I found a game magazine from a while back giving BG a 9.4 and figured it'd be just as awesome then.
    Found the BG1 + TotSC bundle in a shop (just released), best purchase I ever made.