Skip to content

#11090 Loading a save with a charmed party member should not disable auto-pause: enemy sighted

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
How to reproduce:
1. Enable "Enemy sighted" option in Gameplay->Auto-pause.
2. Let an enemy spellcaster charm one or more of your party members.
3. Save while the charmed state is active and reload the game.

Observed: Auto-pause on "Enemy sighted" does not work anymore even after the charm effect has run out.
Expected: Auto-pause on "Enemy sighted" triggers as soon as enemies enter the visual range of party members regardless of current or past mental states of party members.

The issue can be fixed by saving and reloading the game after the charm effect has run out. Save attached with Minsc being charmed by the spell "Charm Person or Mammal".
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hmm. Should the game allow you to save while a party member is charmed. How did you get Minsc charmed in the first place? Trial and error or something more certain.

I'm thinking the game should only auto-pause if Minsc has recovered or if he is still charmed but out of sight when an enemy is seen. Neither of which seem to happen from the attached save but would like to check without a save/load being involved.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    argent77 said:

2. Let an enemy spellcaster charm one or more of your party members.
    3. Save while the charmed state is active and reload the game.

The whole bug is especially weird because you are able to save while one of your party members is hostile. When you've killed all attackers, including the enemy spellcaster responsible for the charming, and you still have a charmed party member, you shouldn't be able to save the game. Then you wouldn't get the bug in the first place. You shouldn't be able to save because having a charmed party member satisfies two conditions that would normally prevent saving:

- You see an enemy (except this enemy is in your party).
    - You don't have control over all your party members.

I've checked the original BG2 with Fixpack and even back then you were able to save with a hostile, charmed party member present, so this seems to have always been this way but it is most likely a bug. If, for instance, one of your party members is merely confused but not hostile, the game prevents saving, stating:

"You cannot save at this time because you do not have control of all your party members."
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Gate70 said:

How did you get Minsc charmed in the first place? Trial and error or something more certain.

The Priest of Cyric in that room casts "Charm Person or Mammal" several times at the nearest target, and Minsc failed his save eventually.

I agree that it's more logical to prevent saving the game at all while party members are under the charm effect. But since it's possible to save with a charmed character in the original game without anyone complaining I have assumed it to be an intended feature.

Looking at it from a technical perspective. The character's allegiance is still "PC", so the game doesn't recognize Minsc as a threat. The red circle and lack of player control is caused by the "Charm creature" effect (opcode 5).

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited December 2014
    OK, got a suitable repro case logged for this one, starting from uncharmed. At least, I hope it is suitable.
    Thanks