Skip to content

Rolling 100...

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
What are the odds of rolling 100?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    On a 1d100? On 10d10? Or as a total for your stats on character creation?

If you mean the last one, then it depends on the class/race combination you are going with. Classes and races influence minimum rolls, thus making it easier or harder to roll a given number, depending.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Total stats for character creation. Just started BGII today and re-rolled an Elvish Ranger on account of not knowing how to transfer my BG chars and stats and the fabled 100 roll appeared. A screenshot is in the thumbnail above. May have to double click to see.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Someone calculated this not long back, you might want to try a search. If I remember right, in an hour of constant rolling, you have a probability of hitting it once.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    It's fairly rare, so congratulations! Rangers along with Paladins are certainly among the classes most likely to see it, as they have high minimum rolls (being an elf helps, too).
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. The odds of that happening are slim to none. The best I've ever rolled was a 96.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Appreciate it everyone! On another note, does anyone know how to effectively tranfers BG character files, potraits, sounds, and game files to BGII? Tried to drag and drop the files into BGII's folders but the game kept crashing. Literally had to de-install and re-install for it to function properly again.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I had a program set to roll stats for an elven ranger x times and report the highest result. I can't remember what I had to set x to before it started giving results above 100, but it was... a lot. Millions at least. So congratulations, you just won the lottery of BG stat rolls.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    I didn't even know that was possible O_O That's, like, almost 17 average!
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    I rolled a 100 this morning just on a Fighter. I rolled about five times for two characters and about ten times for the protagonist.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    http://anydice.com seems to compute the convolutions for you.
    If you don't know the model used by BG then it will not help you much.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Musigny it probably doesn't account for the minimum roll system in BG
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    supposedly over 100s are possible
    edited December 2014

All I see is that sums over 75 (min BG value) are common. I have no clue about how they do it. For instance how many times 3d6 are rolled for each stat ? When do they add offsets and so on ?
    This being said, for very high values a simple model may give a hint about the order of magnitude.
    When rolling 18d6 (once) and according to this site, odds to roll a score >= 100 are around 1/650000 1/65000000. In BG odds are higher. How much ? I don't know.

You'd better play the lottery and be a second/third rank winner.

Edit: reading mistake. Those odds are far from what the nice guys report on this forum.
    See comments hereafter.
    Post edited by Musigny on
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    I rolled 100 on 9 December 2012.

• MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Noloir said:

Appreciate it everyone! On another note, does anyone know how to effectively tranfers BG character files, potraits, sounds, and game files to BGII? Tried to drag and drop the files into BGII's folders but the game kept crashing. Literally had to de-install and re-install for it to function properly again.

Portraits are just pics, dumped in the appropriate portrait folder. It shouldn't cause any crashes so a reinstall was probably a good idea there as likely there was another cause. Char files are designed to be able to be imported in BG2, so also again, simply putting them in the folder should have worked.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Noloir said:

You can/should also be able to start a game by importing your last save game from BG1. That will transfer the character for you.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Musigny said:

All I see is that sums over 75 (min BG value) are common. I have no clue about how they do it. For instance how many times 3d6 are rolled for each stat ?
    Do we even know for sure that the game rolls 3d6? I know that's how it works in D&D, but based on my experience it seems like it could very easily be just generating a random number between 3 and 18 with a uniform distribution.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just the other night, I rolled *over* 100 times in my bed. And it felt great!
  • MayirahcMayirahc Member Posts: 2
    I am rolling 99 pretty much constantly, got 104 on my gorgeous elf sorcerer previous week. ^^

http://i.imgur.com/UfmQbeU.jpg
    TJ_Hooker said:

Musigny said:

All I see is that sums over 75 (min BG value) are common. I have no clue about how they do it. For instance how many times 3d6 are rolled for each stat ?
    Do we even know for sure that the game rolls 3d6? I know that's how it works in D&D, but based on my experience it seems like it could very easily be just generating a random number between 3 and 18 with a uniform distribution.
    As I said, I have no idea about their implementation. This could be uniform as you suggest. I can believe it. However if the distribution is uniform then this means that a roll equal or greater than 100 is much more frequent -> around 2/10000. Please forgive me but I am a bit cautious as regards the various claims.

And btw I was wrong with the anydice.com results as they provide % not 0 to1 probability. I will edit my previous message to fix it. Two orders of magnitude that's a lot. This strengthens your own assumption.
    @Jarrakul If 17s are more probable than 18s, then we do know it's not rolling 1d2+16.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Rolling 100 in BG can be compared with this:

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Kettle Bells! My favorite :D
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

@Jarrakul If 17s are more probable than 18s, then we do know it's not rolling 1d2+16.

I thought that was what I said. O_o
    True, don't know what I was thinking.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

Noloir said:

What are the odds of rolling 100?

Better than rolling a 108 :)
    Nope, the chance of rolling 108 is exactly the same as rolling 100.