Skip to content

Ranger Specialties (Followers of Mielikki)? *SPOILERS*

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Ranger is by far the most versatile, entertaining melee/fighter class in the game. A well rounded Ranger is a menace both from up close and afar with the proper defensive equipment wreaking nothing less than havoc on the battlefield. The question, to all who abide by the tenets of the great Mielikki what type of Ranger Subclasses do you specialize in and why?
Post edited by Noloir on
DraekinRAM021Blackraven

Comments

• NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Does anyone here play ranger?! Seems like this class gets no love. Wow!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    I'm playing a beast master playthrough at the moment. Just for the challenge I suppose.

Sadly though their name is not Dar.
    AstroBryGuyRAM021
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I've never done a BG playthrough as a ranger but my significant other's fantasy persona is an elven archer chick. In Icewind Dale: EE I made a party based on my IRL friends and such and so she was an Elven Archer. Got to say she was the most powerful person on my team XD Raining death down by entangling enemies and sniping them. Was lots of fun. When she ran out of arrows dual long swords were there to tear people up.

If I were to make a ranger it'd prob be a stalker.
    I like the idea of a nature-themed assassin.
    Blackraven
    Ranger definitely has it's perks, especially for one of the early on chapter 2 missions *wink*wink*. Unlike BGI in BGII a player could literally fashion their Ranger after Drizzt successfully in every respect! Paired with a Cleric/Mage and a Fighter/Thief this well rounded 3 party cast could be a considerable threat!
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Noloir said:

Ranger is by far the most versatile, entertaining melee/fighter class in the game.

I disagree with that. I don't think there is anything essential that a ranger can do that a paladin or fighter can't do as well. That doesn't mean that Rangers don't have their place of course, as I think the archer and stalker kits are fairly well balanced against cavaliers and undead hunters in terms of power, they are just different.

They are all behind the more powerful pally and fighter kits though, with berzerker rage and inquisitor dispel making those kits the more versatile, in terms of enemies taken on, and powerful.

I find the best use for a ranger is to give my cleric some fighting prowess.
    mumumomo
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I fully agree with pixie359: it's not that they are bad but they are inferior to the other fighting class.

Their special perks (2 free PIPs, favored enemy, weak spellcasting, weak scouting) are quite underwhelming and do not compete with what fighters (grand mastery, great kits) and paladin (great kits, much better spellcasting) get.

Only archer really stands up as a kit but archery (while very viable) is not so good in BG2EE.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Rangers are the only class to get flawless dual-wielding with Montolio's Cloak. Otherwise rangers are mostly just underwhelming. They really should get unique HLA's like fletching arrows, or some ranged skills to use. I mean Tracking?? What the f can I even do with this? Should be a level 1 skill, not an HLA.
    RAM021
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    "Rangers are the only class to get flawless dual-wielding with Montolio's Cloak."
    Not the greatest perk ever...

The arrow HLA would be a great idea for an archer and that could make archery much better in BG2EE.
    Well, I agree it's not, but it's something.. :smiley:

It kinda sucks that +3 arrows are only available in ToB and +4 arrows only in BP2. They should both be available in SoA in small numbers, like other +4 or better weapons, Carsomyr, Wave and so on.. Being able to create a stack of 20 +5 or even +4 arrows daily would be awesome.

Hunter's Mark would be a good HLA to have, lowering targets missile armor class by 4 for say 2-5 rounds. This ability couldn't be dispelled and they would unable to stealth or go invisible.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Yannir said:

Rangers are the only class to get flawless dual-wielding with Montolio's Cloak. Otherwise rangers are mostly just underwhelming. They really should get unique HLA's like fletching arrows, or some ranged skills to use. I mean Tracking?? What the f can I even do with this? Should be a level 1 skill, not an HLA.

There's a cloak that you can get in Rasaads quest that can give anyone the same benefit.
    Wowo said:

Yannir said:

There's a cloak that you can get in Rasaads quest that can give anyone the same benefit.
    In Umer Hills early on if the main character is a Ranger 3 Ranger only quests are unlocked. By the end of the 3rd quest a special Ranger only trinkets Cerebus the Moon Dog is unlocked with crazy skill sets.

It's basically Drizzt's spieit Panther in a different form. It has Fear/Resist Fear Protection from Evil once a day. Mirror Image 3 times a day. Improved invisibility once a day. Healing lick thatt can cure any disease and adds 20hp 3 times a day. It's naturally fast/hasted and has ridiculously high magic resistance. Rangers are not to be underestimated.
    RAM021
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Just realized Mielikki is the goddess of forrest and the hunt from old Finnish folk lore. I thought the word sounded Finnish :)
    NukefaceBlackravenAdso
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    pixie359 said:

Noloir said:

Ranger is by far the most versatile, entertaining melee/fighter class in the game.

I disagree with that. I don't think there is anything essential that a ranger can do that a paladin or fighter can't do as well. That doesn't mean that Rangers don't have their place of course, as I think the archer and stalker kits are fairly well balanced against cavaliers and undead hunters in terms of power, they are just different.

They are all behind the more powerful pally and fighter kits though, with berzerker rage and inquisitor dispel making those kits the more versatile, in terms of enemies taken on, and powerful.

The other Warrior classes will get where a Ranger can (or better)... *eventually*.

At the start, the ranger is the only class that can properly dual-wield at level 1 without screwing up terribly, and they specialize in versatility more than anything. Many would consider the second pip in a weapon style to be the most significant one (due to it actually giving a bonus) and the ranger is solid evidence of that. A vanilla ranger can do anything that requires muscle and skill from the start of the game (BG1) to the end of the game (BG2-TOB), and gets some free perks with spells to boot. Minsc is proof of this too as he's the most well-rounded and versatile warrior in the game as far as the NPCs go, and Valygar kind of backs this up with where his initial proficiencies were placed (though why spears of all things as a Stalker? ugh...)

elminsterNoloirRAM021

pixie359 said:

Noloir said:

The other Warrior classes will get where a Ranger can (or better)... *eventually*.

At the start, the ranger is the only class that can properly dual-wield at level 1 without screwing up terribly, and they specialize in versatility more than anything. Many would consider the second pip in a weapon style to be the most significant one (due to it actually giving a bonus) and the ranger is solid evidence of that. A vanilla ranger can do anything that requires muscle and skill from the start of the game (BG1) to the end of the game (BG2-TOB), and gets some free perks with spells to boot. Minsc is proof of this too as he's the most well-rounded and versatile warrior in the game as far as the NPCs go, and Valygar kind of backs this up with where his initial proficiencies were placed (though why spears of all things as a Stalker? ugh...)

I'm glad to see that someone appeciates the versility of this underrated class. Versatility in and of itself is a form of strength that no other fighting class besides Rangers possess. The ability to use a character for both close and long ranged settings is incredibly useful especially with a conjuring based mage/sorcerer. Rangers really deserve a bit more credit for their skill set.
    elminsterGamingFreakRAM021Nukeface
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2015
    Personally, my favorite kit is the stalker. I LOVE archer, but stalker has those couple of handy mage spells that really make me love the class. Dual wielding a longsword and dagger (the only way to dual wield that doesn't look silly), a bow on the back, light but sturdy armour, hasted, protected from missiles (I like to imagine the spell just allows him to swat them out of the air), and with those couple of druidic spells to back him up, he's pretty much my second favorite jack of all trades. (coming in right behind the bard.)

Edit: I do admit, I role-play the stalker more as an un-kitted ranger who has studied the arts of stealth and magic to the greatest of THEIR abilities (not necessarily as much as some people's abilities), allowing for more versatility. As opposed to the city ranger/spy/wannabe assassin/thing, that is.
    VallmyrRAM021JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Yannir said:

By the time you get Montolio's cloak, anyone with UAI (thief, bard, multiclass, etc.) can use Montolio's cloak as well.
    AHF said:

Yannir said:

By the time you get Montolio's cloak, anyone with UAI (thief, bard, multiclass, etc.) can use Montolio's cloak as well.
    Yes but only multiclasses and Blades get the initial 2 pips on dual-wielding. The rest only get 1. So no flawless.
    edited January 2015
    Yannir said:

AHF said:

Yannir said:

Yes but only multiclasses and Blades get the initial 2 pips on dual-wielding. The rest only get 1. So no flawless.
    By Throne of Bhaal, any multi or dual classed character interested in dual-wielding has all 3 pips on dual-wielding. Heck, I started a multi-class character today and had all 3 pips by level 3 let alone by the time you get Montolio's Cloak completed. So, flawless.
    AHF said:

Yannir said:

AHF said:

Yannir said:

By Throne of Bhaal, any multi or dual classed character interested in dual-wielding has all 3 pips on dual-wielding. Heck, I started a multi-class character today and had all 3 pips by level 3 let alone by the time you get Montolio's Cloak completed. So, flawless.
    You missed my point. It was that many thief/bard solo-classes dont even get 3 pips on *any* weapon-style. Only multi, dual, blade bard and swashbuckler thief get the 3 pips. It is a requisite for ever getting flawless, 2 is not enough. I conceded to your point while pointing at a flaw in your thinking.
    Blackraven
    I agree on the thieves and bards item. It is the dual classed and multi's that don't have any issue by level 3.

Either way, nothing to argue about given how inconsequential all of this is by Throne of Bhaal.
    Yannir
    I did say it's a pretty minor perk. :smiley: Atleast I should've.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2015
    I loved running a Ranger and have many times in vanilla. Imoen concentrated on traps and locks and my Ranger handled the stealth with Telbar's studded+2, dual wielding Varscona and whatever else struck my fancy as I found it. Sometimes I'd even kit Minsc with Protector of the Second (leath +2) and we would get VERY up close and personal with a number of casters before bringing the pain.
    Fond memories of the very first time I discovered standing in tree shadows in Larswood and Peldvale enabled me to stealth at high noon! I OWNED those damn Black Talon bastards! And used their icicles to cool my rum punch!
    My second build in BG1ee in fact right now is a Stalker, really having fun doing BG1 with that kit for the first time! Actually might be OP for BG1 in fact ( also running an Undead Hunter in a separate game).

Come BG2ee, my Stalker will still conduct stealth hits and scouting and I ran BG2 vanilla more than once with Minsc, Vally and I doing some very covert ugliness to folks. Mostly because I'm not at all enamoured by the fact there are no pure thieves in SoA or ToB. The Multis' and Duals' better serve casting.

Yes by ToB the ability to stealth gets upset by damn near everyone having some means to spot you but there are means to defeat that as well.
    So yes, I think the Ranger has wonderful attributes and if ya play a Ranger/Cheddar, well it sets a whole new standard doesn't it?

m2c

btw- if you notice, the OP said nothing about most powerful. He said "most versatile and entertaining" which are personally subjective, so I think some responses sort of derailed the intent.
    Post edited by Sharguild on
    lunarRAM021NoloirBlackraven
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    edited January 2015
    Stalker/Cleric

Also, IWD casting improvements really help balance Paladins & Rangers...
    Sharguild said:

I loved running a Ranger and have many times in vanilla. Imoen concentrated on traps and locks and my Ranger handled the stealth with Telbar's studded+2, dual wielding Varscona and whatever else struck my fancy as I found it. Sometimes I'd even kit Minsc with Protector of the Second (leath +2) and we would get VERY up close and personal with a number of casters before bringing the pain.
    Fond memories of the very first time I discovered standing in tree shadows in Larswood and Peldvale enabled me to stealth at high noon! I OWNED those damn Black Talon bastards! And used their icicles to cool my rum punch!
    My second build in BG1ee in fact right now is a Stalker, really having fun doing BG1 with that kit for the first time! Actually might be OP for BG1 in fact ( also running an Undead Hunter in a separate game).

Come BG2ee, my Stalker will still conduct stealth hits and scouting and I ran BG2 vanilla more than once with Minsc, Vally and I doing some very covert ugliness to folks. Mostly because I'm not at all enamoured by the fact there are no pure thieves in SoA or ToB. The Multis' and Duals' better serve casting.

Yes by ToB the ability to stealth gets upset by damn near everyone having some means to spot you but there are means to defeat that as well.
    So yes, I think the Ranger has wonderful attributes and if ya play a Ranger/Cheddar, well it sets a whole new standard doesn't it?

m2c

btw- if you notice, the OP said nothing about most powerful. He said "most versatile and entertaining" which are personally subjective, so I think some responses sort of derailed the intent.

OP approves of this message!
    BlackravenRAM021
  • NukefaceNukeface Member Posts: 91
    The Stalker is just a Fighter/Mage/Thief/Druid - what's not to love?

I've always wanted to do a custom kit using the sorcerer to combine a slower spellcasting progression with the Stalker as it stands and limit it to 1-handed slashing swords and longbows. Kind of like a modified Ranger/Sorcerer multi-class with a few divine spells added to the arcane spellbook for spontaneous casting. d7 for the Hit Dice.

Max out at level 6 Arcane spells with 3 casts per day and a passive Free Action at level 6 with +1APR at levels 12 and 19 to compensate for the lack of compatibility with Improved Haste. Draws from a modified fighter/cleric HLA pool without access to Whirlwind/Greater Whirlwind. Gets a modified Familiar spell at level 3 once per day to summon a spirit animal for 4 hours - improves at level 9 and 16. Capable of Grand Mastery with single bladed swords and Mastery in longbows. Starts out specialized in Dual Wield. Can hide in plain sight at level 20.

+1 to hit every 3 levels. +1 to damage every 4 levels. -1 to Missile AC at level 2 and every 3 levels after. +5% damage reduction at levels 10 and 20. Barbarian movement rate. Thief Thac0. Fighter/Mage saving throws +2 penalty. Mage XP progression.

17 str max
    15 con max
    cannot cast spells with armor
    cannot wear armor greater than studded leather
    cannot wear helmets
    lower backstab modifier than thief (current Stalker backstab progression)
    restricted from necromancy and divination schools with the exception of divine magic
    +2 saving throw penalty
    alignment restricted to Good
    BlackravenRAM021