Skip to content

StealFailed() bug

Situation: Store owner is equipped with a script that triggers on StealFailed() but which does not result in the actor going hostile. Upon a failed attempt to steal, StealFailed() will return true and the resultant script actions (such as dialogue) will run. However, after this, the actor will not respond to attempts to start dialogue. Saving and reloading will return the actor to being chatty, but apparently all flags on the STO will be disregarded when you access it (you can't buy, sell or use any of the services available before). This behaviour can be observed seemingly regardless of what actions, if any, result from StealFailed().
Hurricane

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Any particular store owners. I tried Arnolinus and Perter in the Promenade - they both went hostile and left the building, then returned inside when I followed. & saving afterwards made no difference.
    Thanks

(same behaviour seen in a lightly modded BGT install)
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2014
    As I said, you need to mod the behaviour so they do not go hostile (for instance, by replacing the dialog action in stealamn.bcs). Apologies if it wasn't clear.
    <<<<<<<< .../test/stealamn.baf IF StealFailed([ANYONE]) THEN RESPONSE #100 DisplayStringHead(Myself, ~I'm a little teapot.~) END >>>>>>>> COMPILE ".../test/stealamn.baf"

Edit: expected behaviour: with the above code installed, you should be able to attempt to steal from Arnolinus' store until he runs out of items, and each time you fail, Arnolinus should claim to be a little teapot.
    Post edited by Wisp on
    hook71
    edited December 2014
    Isn't that a change to how the game (original & enhanced) deals with stealing though, i.e. it is working as designed in that the merchant will no longer trade and the above would be a feature request or could be applied via mod activity?

edit - just to say this is based on my understanding, I stopped stealing from stores years ago probably as a result of this sort of result...
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    No, this is not intended behaviour. The original engine can pass the test case I posted. EE currently can't and I'm reasonably certain it once could.
    Right, so the engine is preventing modified scripting from working the way it worked in the original game. Might need to discuss with a dev if the issue can't be reproduced without making modifications.
    Thanks