Skip to content

Spell Trigger and Clerical Spells

If you have Mage/Cleric character.

Can you add Clerical Spells into your Spell Trigger or Spell Sequencer?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2015
    Makes for some interesting combinations too. Like a sword spider wielding Spiritual Hammers with Draw Upon Holy Might active (you just use a Minor Sequencer to give you these after you transform).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Mass Cure x3 makes for a nice group-heal trigger as well.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Also, contingencies. Heal on low hp, or remove paralysis/free action when helpless save lives.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Use Shocking Grasp and DUHM in a Minor Sequencer in spider form to dispel the spider attack get 4 APR at 19 STR or higher. I am immensely fond of this trick and it makes Aerie a monster with the Flail of Ages. Flame Blade works well in Shocking Grasp's place, or Ghoul Touch, though they don't strike as magical weapons.

Armor of Faith also works well in Minor Sequencers, if you're stacking resistances. Chant is also quite nice, and Aid.

For Spell Sequencers, Animate Dead, Holy Smite, Dispel Magic, and Holy Power have their place.

Contingencies are usually better used with Stoneskin or Teleport Field, but Remove Paralysis is an excellent option as well.

Spell Triggers are often better used for Sunfire. Righteous Magic, PFMW, and Improved Haste also work very nicely depending on the character build (it's almost absurd in spider form).

If your cleric/mage has Chain Contingency, you're already at 6 million XP, so whatever.
  • bernardchubernardchu Member Posts: 44
    I was wondering with Spell Trigger/Spell Sequencer, if you mix spells together, such as "Cure Medium Wound" and "Remove Paralysis". Each spells have different range, one is "range" another is "touch".

When you trigger the sequencer at a party member, do you need to be at a "touch" distance to your subject?
    Which spell do you follow? Range, or touch?
    From what I recall if you are not within range for either spell then that particular spell will fail (but the spell that is in range will work fine).
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    That's true, not all spells will launch. Had this difficulty when trying to use Shield of Lathander in a spell trigger on another party member, it never seemed to have worked even if I was up close. I had to increase the range of the .spl to something like 5 before I got it to work.
    Normally if you cast a spell to a location that is not within range, your character will automatically "move" closer into the range.

So in Spell Trigger case, your character won't do that, but just let the spell fail???
    edited January 2015
    If you had say a shocking grasp (touch) and magic missile lined up (ranged) in IWDEE (as well as whatever the BG2EE equivalent might be), the shocking grasp would fail unless you were already close enough for it to work.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yep if you are out of range of the actual spell, you will get a 'spell failed' message. Very very frustrating to do the ultimate 3x skull trap combo because the range of skull trap is very poor, and you risk death if you aim the trigger too close.
    Clearly this is game design error. I wonder if Beamdog will fix this issue?
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2015
    Spell trigger and chain contingency...that's what i'm waiting for.

Aerie is a strong character, so i asked myself : why shouldn't i try to make her more useful in melee fight? I have Aerie and Nalia as mages, someone have to protect poor weak Nalia.

So i gave to Aerie girdle of frost giant strength, strength set to 21.

And in triggers / chain contigency i'm going to give her :

1- Holy Power ( penality of strength , lowered to 18. But THACO of a fighter of her level + 1 hp / level of Aerie)

2- DUHM (boost in costitution and dexterity)

3- Righteous Magic ( add 1 hp / level of Aerie + max damage for each hit).

Add to this spell trigger a chain contingency : if caster see enemy --> Protection from magic weapons, chant and bless.

----------------------

Result : for a short time Aerie becomes almost a good fighter. So she can protect Nalia while she ran away.
    After That, a few pills of sweet revenge ( Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting) made by Nalia after she run away against the mob surrounding poor sweet Aerie.

-----------------------

What can i say, i like doing experiments