Skip to content

Do you consider creating boots of speed for every character cheating?

I like to do that because you lose less time walking. I completed BG1 without any cheat once but now the slow moving speed kind of bore. I started a game and didn't use the boots and i was able to outrun enemy anyway. So i don't really think that the boots of speed make the game easier and therefore its not really cheating. The question is in my opinion even less important for BG2 since you can caste haste a lot.

Comments

• ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Nope. Also, given how I use them, I really wouldn't say it isn't cheating, in my case (you may outrun a Xvart barefoot, but you wont outrun a wolf =D).

And I in fact like having one or more faster characters. Makes sure that my mage isn't the first to bump in a pack of 5 bow wielding skeletons (just, fuck those skeletons, fuck their 2 apr, fuck their crazy powerful weapons).

When I'm really impatient, I just ctrl+j my party (like when doing maevar's quest (bloody thief stealing my time)) across zones that I know are safe.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2015
    What a question! Of course it's cheating, as it would be, if you created Girdles of masculinity/femininity for everyone.
    I still encourage you to do it, if it's more fun to you this way, but before you start complaining about the game being to easy, you maybe should take the boots off again.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So, you used cheat console and you are asking if it's cheating or not...
    And they do make game a lot easier. Think of approaching archers more quickly.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    even if the enemies would have double movement rate it would still be an advantage. only if the game speed was scaled would it not be cheating
  • XXBenoltXXXXBenoltXX Member Posts: 21
    A thank you i just did that the game going to be better this way ( for me anyway)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    We're not telling anyone how he or she should play. If using cheats is how that person is having fun, then so be it. But at least let's be honest about it.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2015
    Renal Bloodsxalp Bloodscalp wears a pair, but I don't think one can get them any longer (exploit: fixed)
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @JLee: In early ToB there's also the Grandmaster's Armor (leather +6) with the same speed effect. It's one of the best suits of armor for Thieves, but not the best so it might not what you're looking for.

I personally don’t believe there is such a thing as cheating in a single player game. Personalizing it to suit your own tastes is part of the fun. There is something I have found helpful in my game though, concerning walking speeds. In case you don’t want to give your party the edge just for the sake of moving around the maps more quickly. If you open your ini file and change the frame rate, all characters move faster, not just your party members. I usually set mine to 50, but you can play around with what feels right for you.

common wisdom states that there is cheating in single player games...but you see, it's not a moral thing as in cheating your spouse, so that you would have to make up such cop-outs and terminological malleations. the rule is that you get items in the game not via console. breaking it doesn't bear any sanction or make you a bad person, but it's cheating alright.

in multiplayer games there is a sanction, you can be judged (and will be judged if discovered) as an asshole.
    is singleplayer the only penalty might come from your conscience, but if your "ethos" is such that you put the overall experience above going by rules then you're free to go. but that doesn't mean that cheating hasn't happened, it's just that in your case this qualification isn't important. but whether it can be made is not a question of your belief, it's not a subjective thing, it's an "outside" thing, a designation that people have been used for decades; it's cultural - you might criticize it but it's pointless to deny it.

it's like saying that a crime hasn't happened when *in fact* it has - it's just that in your jurisdiction it isn't treated as a crime. for example marital rape might not be a crime in your state but it doesn't mean that when it takes place in most other states, a crime hasn't happened.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2015
    It's like asking is cheating cheating. That being said it's not like I don't ever cheat. Everyone plays the game the way they find satisfying and enjoyable.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, it's cheating. But as others pointed out, when it comes to a single player game, it's only wrong if you're not having fun.

If you want to speed up things without making the game easier, I believe it's possible to increase the framerate by editing the configuration file.

It's as simple as changing a number in a text file and it'll speed up not only your characters, but everything in the game, thus not giving you any unfair advantage.

Edit: I was beaten to it by Ravenslight. He actually gives instructions on how to do that.
    i teleport via console a lot. i actually don't consider that cheating, since that only cheats the in-game clock (with timed quests could be seen as giving yourself an advantage but it's too insignificant).

...it'd be nice if there was an option to set everyone's movement speed to a certain high value when outside of combat via hotkey. with auto toggle-off when enemy visible.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @Ravenslight sorry about the wrong pronoun.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I wonder what it says about me that I have no interest in playing a game "not by the rules".

I don't mod or dupe in speed boots because they aren't intended to be possessed and not having them increases my enjoyment of finding them later.

Am I lawful stupid?

SCS is an interesting example. Technically it's cheating as it's changing the rules to suit your taste and some aspects of SCS do increase the power of your character.

There is no sanction against cheating in a single player game except your own conscious and the judgement of everyone on the forum (haw haw haw). Just don't ever advertise an achievement when you've "cheated" to make the game easier.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited January 2015
    Play however you want as long as you're having fun!

I don't really worry about whether or not it is cheating in my own single player games. Years ago when I first played I didn't know anything about the console commands and didn't have access to a fast enough connection to download any mods. So, I played the vanilla game multiple times. Later, now that I've learned more I sometimes make use of various codes and commands, mostly to make the experience more streamlined (and sometimes just for fun I'll use CTRL+Y on an annoying enemy before reloading). CTRL+J is probably the command I use most, and on occasion I'll use the console to fix a bug or create an item I foolishly forgot and can no longer grab.

I wouldn't have wanted to use console codes, read walkthroughs, or install mods on my first playthrough. For me it's more fun to play around with those things later. But, there are a lot of people who want to blast their way through the game as a god. Happily, the Infinity Engine offers something for everyone.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Duplicating items is clearly a case of cheating ... and has been one always. :wink:
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I think it's easier to just CTRL+J.
    Merina said:

Duplicating items is clearly a case of cheating ... and has been one always. :wink:

Reminds me of the infamous duplicate item cheat (duping) in Diablo. Good old times :)
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I never use these boots... I take my time to explore the area and move my whole group together at the same time.
    Seldar said:

I never use these boots... I take my time to explore the area and move my whole group together at the same time.

It will often get you in trouble if you run about with one hasted character and bump into some thugs or whatnot and realize the rest of the party is half a map away :)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    bob_veng said:

...it'd be nice if there was an option to set everyone's movement speed to a certain high value when outside of combat via hotkey. with auto toggle-off when enemy visible.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, and I also wonder why no one mentioned this, but if you edit the baldur.ini like this:
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
    Everything will be faster, including your party member speed. In this way you're not cheating, since even enemies will move faster.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Wilbur said:

Seldar said:

It will often get you in trouble if you run about with one hasted character and bump into some thugs or whatnot and realize the rest of the party is half a map away :)
    It's also not good when your supremely powerful charname is half the map away and the rest of your party get ambushed.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Awong124 said:

I think it's easier to just CTRL+J.

I only Ctrl + J when the path finding fails me.
  • XXBenoltXXXXBenoltXX Member Posts: 21
    On the same line of thought. If in bg1 i used one of the book to change a npc stats would you consider cheating if in bg2 i put it to same value.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited January 2015
    If you're talking about creating a tome to use in BG2 then I'd guess those who think the boots were cheating would feel the same about a tome. Usually when people want to make changes to an NPC, like giving them a different class, they just use an editor to make the changes.

edit: Upon rereading I realize you meant setting the stats in BG2 to reflect the changes made in BG1. I suppose by a strict interpretation of the rules that would be cheating, but I think it would be fair since in "reality" the character wouldn't lose those increases.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I don't consider that cheating at all. That just seems fair to me and I have done it many times.