Skip to content

DnD ripoff...

ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
One of the tackiest films ever, but it is also a carbon copy of a hack n slash D&D campaign.

ANyone recall this one?

tbh best thing about it is the music....

decentbackground music to play iwd :)
AdsoTeflon

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It looks like any generic low budget action movie. However, it does have Christopher Benjamin, so it can't be all bad.

With respect, this probably should be moved to the Off Topic forum as it is not really related to IWD.
    jackjackTeflon
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

One of the tackiest films ever, but it is also a carbon copy of a hack n slash D&D campaign.

Is it any worse than Dungeons & Dragons, The Movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(film)
    jackjackatcDavethe_spyderTeflon

Is it any worse than Dungeons & Dragons, The Movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(film)

Well, to be completely fair, production values were lower for Hawk The Slayer, but acting may have been a bit higher. Not sure its an even split though.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    One of the later DnD movies was actually not THAT terrible. I mean, it was pretty terrible, but at least it had actual DnD mechanics...
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2015
    Spell "Color Spray" at 2:27 in the first vid. ;)
    jackjackTeflonJuliusBorisov

One of the later DnD movies was actually not THAT terrible. I mean, it was pretty terrible, but at least it had actual DnD mechanics...

Do you really think that D&D mechanics would translate into a Live Action Movie? I suspect that they wouldn't. I mean you could do things like Hold person, cure light wounds and Fireball, but a lot of the other stuff simply wouldn't look right in my view. I could be wrong on that though.
    meagloth
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Casting certain spells would all lead to myriad situations rife with hilarity, I wager.
    Stuff like Spook, Chaos, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shocking Grasp, Blind, Sleep, Horror, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Stinking Cloud, Haste, Hold Person, Lightning Bolt, Emotion - Hopelessness, Polymorph Other/Self, Teleport Field, Wizard Eye, Feeblemind, Disintegrate, Stone/Flesh & Gate/Summon spells, Mislead, Tenser's, True Sight, Charm spells, Control Undead, Wish, Project Image, Sequencers/Contingencies/Triggers, Maze, Freedom, Shapechange, Time Stop, all things Bigby, and Find Familiar come to mind.
    XD
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The connection with DnD becomes more interesting if you consider that HtS was a British film, released in 1980. That is before DnD became generally known in the UK. Also, 1st edition rules where current at the time, but some of the spells mentioned didn't appear until 2nd edition.

As for the quality of the film, it's quite entertaining if you allow for the obvious shoestring budget.

There is a significant cast and crew overlap with "Krull", a couple of years later.
    British film making finances have never been as robust as Hollywood. Which is fine because it means that there is 'Generally' a stronger focus on story and acting.

As for the timing, it is probable that the story was less a rip-off of D&D and more yet another version of mimicry of the genre that spawned the creation of D&D.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this thread to Off-Topic. Carry on!
    jackjackthe_spyderTeflon
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Cool, Chris de Burgh was Hawk. I didn't realize he had ever done any acting. But judging by that clip, it's probably a good thing he went into music instead.
    Teflonjackjack
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Hawk the Slayer was brilliant...the way they made the elf do rapid shooting with camera trickery was hilarious!! XD

Also, the second D&D film was actually really good, IMO! The third one was also decent. :P
    Nonnahswriter
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited January 2015
    ` that HtS was a British film, released in 1980. That is before DnD became generally known in the UK. `

Surekly the film wrioters had access tio DnD? ion the wioklio:

Pulsipher, Lewis (August/September 1977). "Open Box: Tunnels and Trolls". White Dwarf (2) (London, England: Games Workshop, published August–September 1977). ISSN 0265-8712. Check date values in: |date= (help)
    Jump up ^ Turnbull, Don (December 1978 – January 1979). "Open Box: Player's Handbook". White Dwarf (Games Workshop) (10): 17.

one the writers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Robertson_(musician)

https://jonman492000.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/harry-robinson/

*(my kleybioard ios bugged atmio)
    simples
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited January 2015
    The DnD craze hit my school in the UK in 1976/7 (I remember playing it in the prefect's room).
    jackjacklolien
    edited January 2015
    dunbar said:

The DnD craze hit my school in the UK in 1976/7 (I remember playing it in the prefect's room).

where diod yiou buy the rukles friom?

edited January 2015
    @ameliaboggins From Forbidden Planet, the bookshop in London (probably. I didn't have a copy myself but that was where I got my dice from).
    `(I remember playing it in the prefect's room).`

did he make you dress up as an elvish sorceress and then tie you up in his dungeon?
    jackjack
    OK, I'm guilty of putting the apostrophe in the wrong place (hangs head in shame)!
    It should have read "prefects' room", as in "teachers' common room".