Skip to content

What is the deal with the huge gap in power between Druid levels 14 to 15?

It has always seemed so weird to me that the druid suddenly stops leveling after level 14 for a very, very long time. And when he finally starts leveling again, he does it in such an unexpected fasion, it can only be characterized as OMGWTFSTEROIDSCALLTHECOPS.

Is it an oversight by game developers? Or is there a pnp explanation to this?

Comments

• DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    The plane of fire is the first? I would have thought it is the most dangerous one.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I normally use a mod to change the druid level advancement and spell progression to be the same as clerics.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Darkcloud said:

The plane of fire is the first? I would have thought it is the most dangerous one.

I kinda understand the order. At first glance, fire would strike as the toughest place to survive but when you start thinking about it, the endless freefall of Elemental Plane Air or the ocean without surface on the Elemental Plane of Water is pretty sure to kill anyone not prepared. Flying or waterbreathing is no natural state for any humanoid.

Then you take into account that magic may work differently on the planes, a druid might be powerless in the planes for his magic is tied to the natural world of the Prime Material Plane. Don't remember the particulars and a quick search didn't yield any notable results.
    Well that actually makes sense. I was mostly thinking about Might and Magic where the Fire plane/Elemental thing is the hardest most of the time (well the Earth one in 8 was more brutal).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Elrandir said:

That whole thing makes me want to write a D&D novel or novel series about a young druid striving to become the most powerful druid in the world. It would involve a number of incredible battles with nature's fury flying everywhere, political intrigue between the main character and more than one political group among the druid organization (can anyone say shadow druids?), and an eventual epic storyline where the protagonist must use his Grand Druid powers to defeat some massive threat. After which he retires and becomes a hierophant druid.

Why hasn't this been written yet?
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Probably because what @Elrandir is describing has a distinct adult feel whereas AD&D literature tends to aim for young adults. Although many of the YA's that grew up reading AD&D are now adults themselves, and might enjoy something more complex and dark while still being around the good old neighbourhood. :smile: This might be a marketing crack.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Is it possible to imagine a druid that would be in love with nature but with a chaotic personnality, i.e. not willing to obey to the hierarchy of the Druidic Order, and this way would become a kind of independant druid? I'd like this.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Nope, not in 2E. All druids are TN :P
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Wowo said:

Elrandir said:

That whole thing makes me want to write a D&D novel or novel series about a young druid striving to become the most powerful druid in the world. It would involve a number of incredible battles with nature's fury flying everywhere, political intrigue between the main character and more than one political group among the druid organization (can anyone say shadow druids?), and an eventual epic storyline where the protagonist must use his Grand Druid powers to defeat some massive threat. After which he retires and becomes a hierophant druid.

Why hasn't this been written yet?
    Because I haven't written it yet?
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2015

Nope, not in 2E. All druids are TN :P

On paper they are true neutral, but in fact not really. Look at shadow druids for example, they may be considered as evil.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2015
    Yann1989 said:

On paper they are true neutral, but in fact not really. Look at shadow druids for example, they may be considered as evil.

Not really. Shadow druids might appear evil on the surface but from an intentions standpoint they are really just another version of a neutral character (that differs from a standard druid).
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    elminster said:

Yann1989 said:

Not really. Shadow druids might appear evil on the surface but from an intentions standpoint they are really just another version of a neutral character (that differs from a standard druid).
    True neutral hypocrites in both cases.
    Musigny said:

elminster said:

Yann1989 said:

True neutral hypocrites in both cases.
    Nope.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    To be honest I'm not sure i'ts possible to actually be properly true neutral.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    wubble said:

I view alignment as something to strive for. As nobody is perfect, they don't necessarily follow their true path in each decision they make.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    jackjack said:

wubble said:

I view alignment as something to strive for. As nobody is perfect, they don't necessarily follow their true path in each decision they make.
    Unless you're a paladin. And then you have to smite ALL the evil! Or lose your powers forever.

Why hasn't anyone written/played/etc. a paladin character who's terrified of losing his powers and so does what he thinks he's supposed to, despite not actually being the over-the-top paragon of justice with a steel rod up the bum?
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    well... the huge gap is there to make you use during ages your druid BEFORE being able to get the extras capacities.. and in the case of Cernd, the lucky ecologist dude (with just an hunger/anger issue.. just a slighlty one, np / ) ... BEFORE beeing able to realize that his latest transformations are screwed TOO (if you don't test BEFORE with some EEKeeper 'lvl up'..) .. the big plus, is that LIKE THAT, you need HOURS if not DAYs playing with the same characters in your team to be able to see it (and pass that lv15), legit way of course.... and when you discover the surprise, you are HAPPY even more so... 'kiss cool effect', as an advert was saying here a few times ago, i guess... :):)

For exemple, in the last patch, i had the pleasure to notice that now, the HLA Elemental Transformation is now ALSO screwed ! ; you can no more move when you transform into it, hurray! :) .. similarily, when you siwtch between transforms, you don't automatically get the stats of your new transform, hurray2 ! ... talking about quali testings lol ... :) (happily.. i guess.. should be easily 'fixed in the next patch' (of course), and more possible relatively easy to fix manually with DLTCEP.; with an extra time/headache cost for you, of course.. but np i guess too.. ; ))

edited January 2015
    sunset00 said:

For exemple, in the last patch, i had the pleasure to notice that now, the HLA Elemental Transformation is now ALSO screwed ! ; you can no more move when you transform into it, hurray! :)

I don't have this issue.
    .. similarily, when you siwtch between transforms, you don't automatically get the stats of your new transform, hurray
    Again, I don't have this issue.

The only issue I've seen with them is that it doesn't report on your screen that your base Thac0 is now 2. But that is a relatively minor issue.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    elminster said:

sunset00 said:

For exemple, in the last patch, i had the pleasure to notice that now, the HLA Elemental Transformation is now ALSO screwed ! ; you can no more move when you transform into it, hurray! :)

I don't have this issue.
    .. similarily, when you siwtch between transforms, you don't automatically get the stats of your new transform, hurray
    Again, I don't have this issue.
    The only issue I've seen with them is that it doesn't report on your screen that your base Thac0 is now 2. But that is a relatively minor issue.

Interesting.. YEs, i also quickly noticed the THAC0 (2 not '10') thing at high level.. but as the result was correct (2- STR ok), i did not mention it either.. i won't bother on what is all in al working after all ))

as for the earth elemental ;
    maybe my observation was due to the fact i used an old (previous version) save then ?
    corrected with new 1.3 fresh games maybe ? If so, would be a lesser evil then : OK..

( and i was about to talk about my ideas to reshape the whole cernd class with the things i had found possible to do in the codes with DLTCEP ; regen for the werewolves forms (but much lesser AC..-10 for the GW, to compensate the no regen?! ..totally unrealistic right now for 'simple hides'..i just can't enjoy that 'realsim' for a werewolf as such anyway^), 'real' 24HP for the elemental HLA etc (all things already 'bugged' in the original.. or at least making Cernd well.. what he is even now.. i know some people, including you Elminster, find him currently perfffeeeect as such -and perfectly enjoyable like that *) - , but well, all the same, the personal patches i had the time to do for him for the previous 1.2v could be useful for me in that last one again so.... similarily, maybe just an impression too, seems the new patch have at last also also correctly modified the DEX/STR stats (in red under the transforms; like the original BG for that too now, OK -logic too-) for those same elementals (a thing i had to modify manually too in my manual patches for him -i also modified the CONSTITUTION for those transforms, seemed logical to me too, but well..^^-, if i remember)... but that will be for another day anyway.. and another subject too.. and for the time i will have the time to do a full playthrough with such NPC/class anyway.. if ever.. i just like logical things even in fantasies so ..(like regenerating werewolves, wow, an ultra modern revisit of the myth that!.. i guess *) ^^ )

(returning here); good too so... one thing less (to vanilla fix), one another to care about then (with my previous saves).... ok, good to know anyway .. )
    Elrandir said:

jackjack said:

wubble said:

Unless you're a paladin. And then you have to smite ALL the evil! Or lose your powers forever.

Why hasn't anyone written/played/etc. a paladin character who's terrified of losing his powers and so does what he thinks he's supposed to, despite not actually being the over-the-top paragon of justice with a steel rod up the bum?
    I think Keldorn is at some points dangerously close to be a fanatic and I am not sure how much the intention matters when at least the displayed alignment is kind of based on an absolute scale not a relative. The Fallen Paladins in the bride district seem to think that they do the right thing.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm confused as to why you differentiate "good" and "right". Killing someone to save your family isn't an especially good act (more of a neutral one, unless you really hate your family), but it's definitely not evil. Oh, it has evil components, certainly, but the whole "saving your family" thing balances those out. Your action isn't considered evil because both the intended and actual consequences are less bad than if you hadn't acted. The world has benefited from your action.

Druids work the same way. Their individual action may have good or evil components, but their goal is to keep the world in balance, which is the ultimate good. Or maybe it's not, depending on what you value, but they think it is, which is why they strive for it. And if they think balance is the ultimate good, and the alignment system doesn't reflect that, that means they're not properly defined on the alignment system. There's no reason to hold them to any one alignment, because the alignment system has no meaning for them. One druid might appear good or evil depending on their specific methods for maintaining the balance, and the alignment system should reflect that precisely because it's not calibrated for druids.

The only way druidic neutrality (and Dragonlance neutrality) makes sense is if they are aware of the alignment system and believe the labels of "good" and "evil" measure real and substantial things, but disagree with the goodness and evilness of those things. This either means they're wrong, in which case they're kind of stupid, or they're right and the entire alignment system doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @Jarrakul‌
    First of all I want to say that I have no answer. I'm not saying that mine is a solution of your question,
    I'm just telling you the way I handle this.
    I believe that the alignment system is inaccurate, and I just want to find a consistent policy to handle it.

The whole "good" and "right" thing is a stratagem that helps me.

A good man is someone who does good things in *my* idea of goodness, not in his.
    A neutral one does "neutral" things.
    An evil one does evil things.

All of them could do those things thinking they are the "right" things to do, but in my "vision" they do good or evil acts.

I.e. Hitler wanted to conquer the world and to do the things he did, firmly believing he was doing the right thing (for the German people), but we call them evil acts.
    A druid does neutral things believing he is right, even if I believe some of those acts are not good.
    Nature created us people, and we can be fragile, ill, disabled or whatever. That's the way of nature, that's the way animals evolved. It doesn't care if a pestilence kills 1.000.000 people, because that's how things go for nature, a pestilence will make people stonger.
    How many times someone says "Why God allows this evilness?" Because He knows is the right thing to do (I'm an atheist, this is just an example :D ), but we call them evil acts.

That's the difference between "good" and "right".
    This is the path I follow when dealing with alignments.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Jarrakul said:

The only way druidic neutrality (and Dragonlance neutrality) makes sense is if they are aware of the alignment system and believe the labels of "good" and "evil" measure real and substantial things, but disagree with the goodness and evilness of those things. This either means they're wrong, in which case they're kind of stupid, or they're right and the entire alignment system doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean.

I don't thing both of those are necessary conditions. There are a lot of people who believe that good and evil are real and substantial things. Without any fourth wall knowledge of the alignment system, it isn't unreasonable to think that someone could believe that life is best served by a balance of those two real forces rather than one eliminating the other.

It likewise isn't a stretch for me to see a character the believes that good and evil are necessary prerequisites for eachother. Without evil, there can be no good and vice versa. Since life is best served by a diversity of views and the struggle has significance and meaning, it is appropriate to work to a balance of good and evil.

One other point, this brings to mind is one of semantics, but I think it is important. In this discussion, "good" is being used in different ways and is conflating different meanings. "Good" is used for druids or TN above to pursuing the state of things that best serves all life. While "good" in the classic NG sense could mean always helping others, being charitable, trying to cure diseases, etc. Those two terms may overlap but they also may not mean the same thing and I think the alignment system is using "good" in the latter sense.

To use a simple analogy on the different definitions, one person with the 2nd Ed NG view could believe that fighting diseases that can kill people as an absolute good always to be pursued because every life is sacred and you must work to protect each and every life. Another TN version of good could say that actions taken to fight potentially fatal diseases weaken the species by allowing undesirable traits (susceptibility to disease, for example) to flourish or could wind up with a generation of people who aren't exposed to certain diseases and therefore have no immunities leaving the species exposed to a potentially devastating plague. That TN version of 'good' could view lost lives as an acceptable cost in service of the bigger picture (in this example, the evolution of the species or protection against a pandemic) while the NG version of good might fight to save everyone and view abandoning the genetically weak to death as an unacceptable act.

Eh, just my $.02.