Skip to content

Dragon Disciple as tank?

I am entering the Cloakwood. My party...Level 4ish....

Drag Disc - PC
Rasaad
Helarine - Mod NPC - Cleric of Kelemvor
Imoen
Neera
Kivas

So far I have an AC of -2. With Shield cast. Blur for tough fights. Str of One cast continually. See any complications down the road?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If by tank you mean someone to collect aggro and take hits, DD is great. They won't be great at dealing melee damage, though.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Not sure who Kivas is but your cleric should also be able to tank with some good armor. Your DD will be even better as he gets more defenses (mirror image, better armor spells, stoneskin, etc.). You will cap out at 4th level spells unless you use a mod to uncap your experience.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    ^Kivan?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Kivan could tank with good armor and his dex as well. You can easily have him at -3 before you leave Nashkel. Both the cleric and Kivan should have a lot more HP than your DD, too. So you can do the DD, but I don't know whether he/she is really best suited to tank.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    That's a very good idea to use the Dragon Disciple in melee. Sorcerers in this game don't require a high intelligence/wisdom/charisma, which enables very innovative character design.

The bonuses in terms of HP, AC and Constitution of the DD kit grant him the possibility to take some hits and this guy will have powerful defensive spells anyway. Don't forget the offensive-defensive spells Fire Shield (Red) and Fire Shield (Blue). What's more, it's a wonderful opportunity to use all these spells that you normally don't use as spellcasters because they require you to be close to the ennemy and can harm your own team members if they are in the way: Aganazzar's Incinerator and Cone of Cold are examples among many other spells of this kind, let alone your dragon's fire breath :).

+1
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    So far so good. Into the city of BG. DD has been more than able to be the lead melee combatant when buffed. Worried about the tough fights to come though. Balduran's Isle especially....
    Oh.. And Kivan is an Archer in this run through. Mods.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I've had great success with a DD tank. Mine is currently 2/3rds of the way through Throne of Bhaal, so I'd say you should be in pretty good shape.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    @Jarrakul - i LOVE off the wall class builds, would you mind sharing some info about how you built your DD tank? Items, spells, proficiencies, stats?
    Sure, although it's honestly nothing complicated.

DD is surprisingly durable on its own, with the AC bonuses and the d6 hit die. Add Find Familiar to get a bit of a low-level kicker, and you're not at all squishy. Max Dex, obviously, and take at least a 14 Con so you can get to 16 before too long. Of course, if you start with a 17, you can eventually regenerate naturally, which is cool. At low levels, you mostly have to play as a mage anyway, because your AC will be terrible until you get Robes of the Archmagi. It's not worth wasting a spell slot on Armor, imo. You'd be well-advised to pick up the Shield Amulet as early as possible. Because you're not gonna really tank for a couple levels, I recommend dagger proficiency. You can be ranged at first and transition to melee later without worrying about getting additional proficiencies. You can also get a surprising amount of kills with the Dagger of Venom, although I only recommend doing so if you have no one better using daggers.

Mirror Image and Stoneskin are obvious picks, and they're your workhorses. I'd actually continue to avoid spells like Spirit Armor and Ghost Armor, as armor class will eventually become less useful as the game goes on. Taking those on other casters might be helpful, but didn't bother. A DD can actually get a decent AC for BG1 with just Robes of the Archmagi, a Ring of Protection +2, and the Cloak of Balduran. Mirror Image and eventually Stoneskin will take care of the rest.

In BG2, you continue along the same lines, adding Protection from Magic Weapons. Keep Stoneskin up constantly, and pop Mirror Image or PfMW when you get in a fight (Mirror Image is better if the enemy is a mage). That's basically enough. You really shouldn't take much damage at all if you keep this up. Your main problem is actually going to be keeping enemies focused on your DD, rather than keeping your DD alive.

Basically, you play it like a fighter/mage, but with more magic instead of good physical damage.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    while the DD is a great tank, it is not significantly more durable than a sorcerer.

In BG1:
    - Prior getting stoneskin, you will not be a good enough tank to really play that role (average AC, low-average HP)
    - once you get it, the small AC difference is more than compensated by the extra cast of stoneskin that the sorc can do.

In BG2, for the early game you have some advantage thanks to improved AC but this will soon be compensated by extra casts of stoneskin, improve invis, PFMW;...

Later on, AC becomes more or less useless so the DD has no real advantage over the sorc (while still lacking 1 spell/level)

Don't get me wrong, the DD is probably the 2nd most OP class in the game. But it does almost everything worse than the vanilla sorc.
    mumumomo said:

while the DD is a great tank, it is not significantly more durable than a sorcerer.

Don't get me wrong, the DD is probably the 2nd most OP class in the game. But it does almost everything worse than the vanilla sorc.

20 more HPs by level 10. Better AC. Breath AT. Can regenerate with 2 con bumps. Less spells per day is a non factor. How are they worse again?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The more AC you have, the better AC becomes. Nowadays I always memorise one Spirit Armor for every casters I have, this spell is really great, combine it with Blur / Improved Invisibility / Dex Bonus / etc etc and your AC is so low no one can hit you except on a critical hit.
    20 more HPs by level 10? That's with max HP at level up. Otherwise it's 10 on average. It's by far the best perk of the DD.

Better AC? I'd rather cast one more stoneskin or one more PFMW.

Breath attack? Please...
    8d8 damage at level 18.
    Once per day.
    The sorc can cast 1 more skull trap, one more sunfire, one more ADHW,...

Regeneration. The very slow regeneration granted by 20 in constitution is really useless apart from resting/travelling. And in this situations, using DUHM, a sorc would also regenerate.
    In SOA, there is 2 rings of regeneration + the ring of gaax which allow for a much more useful regeneration rate.

While i agree that less spells per day are not that much of a deal, i'd rather get 1 extra timestop/ADHW/project image/PFMW/... than get the more or less useless perks from the DD.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2015
    The Sorcerer is a better tank than the Dragon Disciple. The whole point with an arcane tank is that you shouldn't take any damage at all. So having more health or regenerate isn't important, the AC while nice on lower level isn't that big of a deal as the sorcerer can get -9 AC in BG1 and even higher in BG2. The breath attack is a nice bonus but won't help you survive any better.

More spells will help you survive though, that's an additional blur, mirror image, protection from magical weapon, etc.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You don't need AC to tank with a Sorcerer. Just cast PfMW and Stoneskin and you're good to go (maybe Spell Trap too).
    If you are tanking a DD your other characters will be weaker melee-ers which odds are means they can buff him. He becomes an AC monster in BGEE....yes melee-ers is a word!
    How do you get PfMW in BGEE?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Blades said:

How do you get PfMW in BGEE?

In the case of the sorcerer you can't without removing the level cap.
    I think blades point was to say that since the sorc cannot cast pfmw, the RDD is a better tank in BGEE.
    Yet in BGEE, the DD only has a +1 bonus to AC (which is basically non significant)
    DD hp bonus in BGEE puts him in "tankage" range hp wise. Class AC bump plus regen with con bonus book plus Mirror Image plus Blur plus Stoneskin plus Shield plus 1W style plus DUHM if your LG plus....any other buffs added make him a BGEE tank hands down. Just about everything in the game will struggle to hit him. Then include buffs from the party. I am in chaper 5 of bg2ee with my DD and I am still tanking him. Haven't had a issue yet.
    As to the relative merits of DD vs. sorcerer, I would argue that the DD is a better tank in BG1, where defensive spells aren't as dominatingly powerful and having that chunk of extra hp really helps to keep you from dying to one lucky crit through the mirror image. By a little ways into BG2, the sorcerer's extra spells will outweigh the DD's extra hit points and AC, but by the time this happens the point is basically moot due to ceiling effects.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Blades said:

DD hp bonus in BGEE puts him in "tankage" range hp wise. Class AC bump plus regen with con bonus book plus Mirror Image plus Blur plus Stoneskin plus Shield plus 1W style plus DUHM if your LG plus....any other buffs added make him a BGEE tank hands down. Just about everything in the game will struggle to hit him. Then include buffs from the party. I am in chaper 5 of bg2ee with my DD and I am still tanking him. Haven't had a issue yet.

Are you running a mod that allows mages/sorcerers to use fighting styles? Because they usually can't invest points into them...
    DD are indeed better tanks than sorcs in BGEE what that's not really an accomplishment
    Actually they are rather poor at tanking before having access to stoneskin (level 8):

Before that they will have:
    - poor AC, unless fully buffed
    - poor HP (at level 7, they have an average of 47hp with familiar, Max HP of 62)
    - no helmet

A level 4 fighter can have, without buffing:
    - almost the same HP
    - -6 AC (ankheg plate, +1 shield, + 18 dex, +1 ring) = as much of the fully buffed DD
    - immune to critical hit

At level 8, with stoneskin, they become really good tanks however.
    They aren't too bad with decent gear, mirror image and shield also you can get one of the ioun stones which works as a helmet (anything in helmet slot protects from crits) :)
    I believe the ioun stones in BG1 are added by BG Tweaks, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to consider them. That said, I think @mumumomo is underestimating the power of Mirror Image, which is generally sufficient to make the DD a fighter-level tank against any enemy worth the effort. Mirror Image functions more-or-less like Stoneskin in such cases, with the caveat of being slightly less reliable, and thereby leaving the DD vulnerable to the occasional lucky crit. Fortunately, the DD tends to have enough hp to survive that hit, so these rare spikes don't destroy the build's viability.
    mumumomo said:

DD are indeed better tanks than sorcs in BGEE what that's not really an accomplishment
    Actually they are rather poor at tanking before having access to stoneskin (level 8):

Before that they will have:
    - poor AC, unless fully buffed
    - poor HP (at level 7, they have an average of 47hp with familiar, Max HP of 62)
    - no helmet

A level 4 fighter can have, without buffing:
    - almost the same HP
    - -6 AC (ankheg plate, +1 shield, + 18 dex, +1 ring) = as much of the fully buffed DD
    - immune to critical hit

At level 8, with stoneskin, they become really good tanks however.

So a level 4 fighter is a very good tank in BGEE. Your example puts them on par other than the crit issue of course.
    Jarrakul said:

I believe the ioun stones in BG1 are added by BG Tweaks, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to consider them.

I should've thought about that.