Skip to content

[Windows](Steam)Game should not crash

PumpernickelPumpernickel Member Posts: 55
edited January 2015 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
Hello, I'm new to the community and have four crashes to report but could use some help. I'm doing my best to follow your guidelines:

"If your game crashed, find the crash dump in Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\crash and attach it to your report as a .zip. Also include the savegame that generated the crash dump, icewind.exe, and icewind.pdb (from the same directory as the executable)."

I have located the four dumps where you specified they'd be. However, not being as technologically versed as you are, I am unsure how to get them here as .zip's as you request. I found the save the crashes happened with but don't know how to attach it here. Also, where do I locate the icewind.exe and icewind.pdb? Pardon my ignorance. Help me please?

Two of the crashes happened in game as I clicked the "load" button to load a previous save. One happened in the first cave of the game to the southeast of Easthaven as I was fighting the orcs inside. And the last occured as I was searching for the icwind.exe and .pdb and clicked on the icon for: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition", which should have just started up the game if I'm not mistaken. All but the last crash were random and are not reliably duplicated. The last may possibly be duplicated if I click the application again, but I don't care to find out unless it'd be helpful to you.

Thanks,
Pumpernickel
Post edited by Pumpernickel on
lolien

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Pumpernickel,

Whatever Steam does renders the crash reporting useless, and I'm not even sure the PDB file comes with the Steam version. If the save game itself is causing the problem, then the best bet is probably going to be to upload that save game.

In order to 'zip' a file or folder, you will need WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, or any other compression software. You then need to find the save folder, and inside that should be multiple other folders—e.g. 000000001-Quick-Save. Most of the compression software found will provide you with a right-click context menu, or sub menu. When you right-click on the folder (example named 000000001-Quick-Save), you should find a menu item labelled something similar to "Add to archive." Archive the whole named save game folder.

Then attach the zip file using the "Attach a file" link, which should be just below the comment box here in this topic. Press 'Post Comment' when done.
    lolien
  • PumpernickelPumpernickel Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2015
    @Troodon80

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded 7-zip and attached the save as you requested (hope I did it right). You mentioned the PDB may not come with the Steam version; if it does I've been unable to locate it. I can still include the icewind.exe if you let me know where I can find it. So seeing as Steam renders the crash reporting useless, I guess there is no point in including the crash dumps? And is it odd that these crashes happened as they did, at random?
    Post edited by Pumpernickel on
    lolien
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I've tested out your save game multiple times and on multiple platforms. I can't replicate any crash with it. I'll keep my eyes open for things that might cause this.

So seeing as Steam renders the crash reporting useless, I guess there is no point in including the crash dumps?

Unfortunately not.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • PumpernickelPumpernickel Member Posts: 55
    @Troodon80 Sounds good. Had a couple more crashes yet. Most seem to occur as I click the second load button when I'm already in a game (the one that prompts you with: "The current game will be lost. Are you sure you wish to load a new game?").
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Do you have the Steam overlay disabled for the game? It may or may not help if you disable it.
    lolien