Skip to content

Stone Golems Immune to +2 Maces - SCS or EE

AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
Just completed the thieve's guild quest line. On the second floor of the mage's house, the two stone golems were immune to +2 maces and were vulnerable to a +2 short sword. (Short version - instead of my fighters killing them, Jan ended up taking them down). Is this a SCS change or an Enhanced Edition change? Many thanks in advance!

(Edited to focus on +2 maces rather than all blunt weapons).
Post edited by AHF on

Comments

• GrombagGrombag Member Posts: 16
    Not sure about the level, but stone golems are not supposed to be more or less vulnerable to blunt weapons (clay golems are). I think stone golems should be able to hit by +2 weapons at least.
    Which weapons did you use on the stone golems and what was the result?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Stone golems being vulnerable to all magic weapons of sufficient enchantment was always my experience, @Grombag. The weapons that were listed as ineffective were:

Krotan's Skullcrusher (Mace +2)
    Mauler's Arm (Mace +2)
    Flail +1
    Mace +2

They were ultimately knocked off with Arbane's Sword (Short Sword +2)
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    I think stone golems have to be hit by slashing weapons
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    In my experience, everything that's at least +2 works on them. I have no idea why that's not what you're seeing. Maybe an SCS thing, as I haven't gotten to BG2 yet on my SCS playthrough.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    In my most recent game, Anomen's +1 mace had no effect on those stone golems. I'm pretty sure he was able to hit the stone golems in Firgraag's lair once I upgraded him to +2 weapons.
    3 of the 4 weapons I experienced were +2 so I don't think enchantment was the issue. Likewise, the one weapon that did work was +2.
    edited January 2015
    OK - I just tested several other weapons against the golems with fine results. However, both +2 maces still yielded: "Weapon Ineffective."

+4 quarterstaff works.
    +5 mace works.
    +4 mace works.
    +3 mace works.
    +2 flail works.
    +2 quarterstaff works.
    +2 shortsword works.

+2 maces don't.

Still not sure why.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2015
    Iron Golems are (and should if by some vanilla bug they aren't) immune to +2 weapons. They can only be hit with +3 or better (it's from the 2nd Edition AD&D rules, also: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/golem1.php).

Edit: when title and topic is about Stone Golems my reply shouldn't be about Iron Golems... I am so stupid.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Krotan's Skullcrusher +2 has an enchantment level of "0" in BG2EE. As one of the items available from importing from a BGEE game, where it does have an enchantment level of "2", this is likely a bug with that specific item.
    kjeron said:

Krotan's Skullcrusher +2 has an enchantment level of "0" in BG2EE. As one of the items available from importing from a BGEE game, where it does have an enchantment level of "2", this is likely a bug with that specific item.

There are 3 different +2 maces it applied with.

The Skullcrusher mace, the Mauler's Arm and a generic +2 mace (from the thieve's guild in the docks).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Is this reported in the right place?
    edited January 2015
    I thought it was an intentional change with SCS or an update that I had missed that applied more broadly to blunt damage. I am reporting it in the bug area since no one seems to know about this.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38966/stone-golems-immune-to-2-maces-rayic-gethras-home?new=1
    It appears this is a SCS issue as Gate70 confirmed in vanilla the Mauler's Arm and Generic +2 mace both work properly. As noted, the Skullcrusher Mace isn't considered +2 for enchantment under any scenario unless this gets corrected in a patch.