Skip to content

Powerful Character help

Hey guys somewhat new player here. I made it about 50% through before I lost the save, anyways I am looking to play through 1 & 2 and would like to make a really powerful character by the end. I see a lot for fighter/mage being powerful by the end. Is that true? Could I make a fighter/mage elf using a longbow? I know there's probably a lot of opinion on this, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Not looking for a huge challenge just looking to get through and enjoy the stories.

Thanks,
Az

Comments

• AzarulAzarul Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Musigny said:

Could I make a fighter/mage elf using a longbow?
    Why not. Please also keep in mind that in fighter/mage there is the word mage.

I didn't know if the mage could use a bow and cast. I thought I read darts were the only range a mage could use and didn't know if this held true in multiclass.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Any character will be mega powerful by the end of the game as long as you play to their strengths and support them with a balanced party
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2015
    Mono class mages and sorcerers can use darts, slings and throwing daggers.
    However your multi class fighter/mage can use a large choice of weapons.
    You can quickly simulate a character creation to crosscheck those facts and rules.

There is an inherited constraint though. The fighter/mage can wear physical armours but you cannot cast while wearing those armours (this is not strictly true, I let you find out the exceptions :smile: )

Happy gaming !
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Illusionist Fighter (gnome) is straight forward and powerful all game. It is also a forgiving build for a newbie, but less forgiving than a Dwarf Berserker.
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    I play an elven fighter/mage and haven't looked back. There's nothing better than CC'ing a group of mobs and deciding how you want to dispose of them (either via offensive spells or jet in for some old fashioned sword swinging).

I chose to go with dual swords because I had more than enough ranged team members to pick off enemies from the distance. Not to mention I tend to RP my character as more of a swashbuckler that can sling spells.

Very good class if you want versatility!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Fighter/mages are a tad squishy in early BG1 due to their poor armor class (even with Armor spells). There are three basic ways to deal with this, which are not mutually exclusive. The first is to forgo casting spells for a while and just wear armor. This obviously has downsides, but it does work. The second is to start the game knowing Find Familiar, cast it, and put the familiar in your pack so it doesn't get killed. This will basically trade an inventory slot are a few extra hit points. It's generally considered a good trade. The third way is to use ranged weapons and generally try not to stand next to enemies. It sounds like you're already planning on that. I will say that you'll probably want to transition to melee in BG2, but longbows should serve you extremely well in BG1.
  • VahnXIIIVahnXIII Member Posts: 33
    I typically send my tank in first, then send in my F/M to hack away with his swords. Also, the spell sleep is your best friend especially after you get Evermemory right outside the Friendly Arm Inn. Does it look like an overwhelming fight? Cast sleep and laugh as your party hacks away. This always carries me through the first few levels. At that point I have more spells at my disposal and combat gets more interesting!
    Shield gives good AC early on, the duration is not exactly short either. It is less reliable than Armour in that way, but the AC bonus from the Armour spell is really not that impressive, even early. Shield also protects from Magic Missiles, which do get cast by enemies. There is an amulet available very early that casts Shield on you, and it is quite cheap. Worth considering, especially when you want to prepare Sleep spells in your lvl 1 slots still... which is probably half of BG1. You can recharge the Amulet by selling it and buying it back or stealing it, so it is a long term solution to FM multiclass armour issues in BG1. Also Kensai, but Kensai are not really beginner friendly!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Ranger/cleric

CC fighting with 2 free points in dual wield
    Access to Heavy armor
    Access to all cleric and druid spells
    Can sneak around in light armor

A crazy amount of versatility
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    FM armour issues can best be resolved in BG1 by wearing full plate and using the abundant supply of scrolls. Then you can use your spell slots for utility stuff like Identify and Knock.
    Pingwin said:

FM armour issues can best be resolved in BG1 by wearing full plate and using the abundant supply of scrolls. Then you can use your spell slots for utility stuff like Identify and Knock.

Shield Amulet is cheaper, and still allows tactical spellcasting, like Web or Sleep, which both remove any real need for AC. A solo might benefit from Fullplate on a FM on a small number of occasions, but unless you sell goodies like the RoW, you can't really buy Fullplate when it is really most useful, ie very low levels. How do you get around this? I suppose you could wear Ankheg, but then you can't benefit from a Ring of Protection.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Depends how you want to play a F/M really. If you want him as your primary spell caster then full plate and scrolls is probably a bad idea. A heavily armoured character right at the front using scrolls like colour spray, aganazar's scorcher, burning hands etc. could be very useful.

You should be able to afford platemail shortly after arriving in Beregost and I usually find that after a detour to the Gnoll Fortress, I can afford full plate before venturing into the mines.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Is Fighter/Mage set already? Much depends on the party too ...
    I like F/M, but they need some micro care to be effective. Maybe not the true beginners happy build to start with?

Powerful and very straightforward to play for a beginner is a Dwarven Defender.
    Powerful but unforgiving to wrong choices in leveling up is a Sorceror (or Dragonborn).
    Fighter/Thief for big backstabbing damage and just enougth thieving skills needed (better party sideways)?
    Pingwin said:

Depends how you want to play a F/M really. If you want him as your primary spell caster then full plate and scrolls is probably a bad idea. A heavily armoured character right at the front using scrolls like colour spray, aganazar's scorcher, burning hands etc. could be very useful.

You should be able to afford platemail shortly after arriving in Beregost and I usually find that after a detour to the Gnoll Fortress, I can afford full plate before venturing into the mines.

Nothing personal, but NOBODY can be useful casting Colour Spray... Its like a really crummy version of Sleep. Sleep early game is implausibly good. If you make your FM unable to cast a guaranteed shutdown, fights last longer, meaning more opportunities to get hit. A well run Sorcerer does not miss armour, being able to end fights in the first round is better than Full Plate.
  • AzarulAzarul Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies. In the end since it is my first play through I decided to just make a good old sword and board human tank. Enjoying well so far. Thanks again.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Azarul said:

Thanks for the replies. In the end since it is my first play through I decided to just make a good old sword and board human tank. Enjoying well so far. Thanks again.

You can't go wrong with sword and board. My only full saga playthrough was with an elven sword and board fighter. With the right gear you can charge into huge groups of enemies and not take a hit, just watch out for those pesky mages as if they confuse/dominate you you'll tear your party to pieces.
    wubble said:

Azarul said:

You can't go wrong with sword and board. My only full saga playthrough was with an elven sword and board fighter. With the right gear you can charge into huge groups of enemies and not take a hit, just watch out for those pesky mages as if they confuse/dominate you you'll tear your party to pieces.
    This is why Berserkers are very highly recommended to new players.

Cursed Sword of Berserking? Not so much!