Skip to content

Chris Avellone appears on PATV Checkpoint talking about the new/old "Black Isle"

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
The video is short, but sweet, and the rest of the episode is funny.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/on-blackest-isle

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    factual information is boring :P
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    :D
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    good stuff starts around 2:38
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It's weird how I never played Wasteland, but just hearing Chris Avellone say he's working on Wasteland 2 makes me giddy as all hell.
    @schneidend is it isometric like the fallout/bg games/original wasteland
    @Bjjorick
    No idea. All I know is that Avellone is a hell of a writer. Fallout: New Vegas and its DLC really worked for me. Therefore, any post-apocalyptic RPG he wants to work on is going to entice me.
    ehhh, people keep mentioning new vegas.....

I bought fallout 3 day 1. disappointed. My boss at work got fallout 3 because i told him how awesome part 1 and 2 was, he liked it then played new vegas and loved it to death. I was meh, and he gave me his copy to play. I just can't seem to come up with the desire to.....

can i ask, is there any meaningful random encounter such as.....fallout 2, goiong back in time to break vault 1 water chip or the bridge keeper of doom from monty python?
    Fallout 3 has random encounters. New Vegas does not.
    Anyways, sorry to derail, that interview was very funny, and i loved reading the blackboard

blackisle divided by obsidian = .......
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Brian Fargo and chris avellone both worked on fallout 1 and 2, which were inspired by wasteland 1. They couldn'my make wasteland 2 at the time so made fallout. Many people think wasteland 2could ressurect the crpg genre big time, probably more so than bgee :). Its something to be excited about for sure
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    @Bjjorick
    its isometric like fallout, but better
    u can check the early graphic build in wasteland 2's forum
    or here http://imgur.com/JroxW
    @junk11 holly shit that mechinical rad scorp looks awesome. please tell me that it's turn based like the original or has the option. i heard about the project for wasteland 2 a few years ago but never checked it because i assumed bethesidia would sue them over it. it hasn't happened yet, and still a little worried.

@excalibur_2102 hehe, i know fallout better then any of the infinity engine games. when teams go to new companies, i don't really follow them, but i think if there is anything i want in this world in a game, it's the original fallout. 2 was awesome and great, but i think fallout 1 is in my top 3 favorite games of all time.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    @Bjjorick
    Brian Fargo got the rights back
    then he started wasteland 2 kickstarter project not long ago and got 3m from players...
    good thing is they can just focus on making games without the distractions from any publishers
    so there's no chance of bethesida suing them? i kinda look at them the same way i look at ea, anything for a buck. maybe i'm wrong on it but i hate to have hope and then have it taken away.....but then, 3m on kickstarter is a good sign, and that's got to be one of the highest to date.....hmmmm
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well... yes. I imagine that's pretty much what everyone's thinking: calling it "Black Isle" doesn't make it "Black Isle". There are really only a handful of video game creators I'd follow sight unseen - David Gaider, Drew Karpyshyn, Amy Hennig, Chris Avellone, Tim Schafer and a few others...
    @Shawne Jane Jensen added to that list for me. And Roberta Williams.
    as stated in the earlier post, if i see brian fargo, that brings back good memories. other then that, i just watch a game and despite who made it, i'll usually give it a go if it seems something i'd enjoy.
    Jane Jensen I liked for her writing on the Gabriel Knight games, I played "Sins of the Fathers" and "The Beast Within", and they were excellent.
    @LadyRhian: Agreed, the first two Gabriel Knight games are fantastic, but Jensen never really reached that level with her later work IMO - GK3 was disappointing and Gray Matter turned out surprisingly dull given the premise. I'll give Cognition a try when it comes out, but she's not a name that would compel me to drop everything and rush to the Paypal button.

Is Roberta Williams still working? I thought she'd retired from video games...
    @Shawne Apparently, she is working on a social networking game called Odd Manor as of this year.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012
    shawne said:

@LadyRhian: Agreed, the first two Gabriel Knight games are fantastic, but Jensen never really reached that level with her later work IMO - GK3 was disappointing and Gray Matter turned out surprisingly dull given the premise. I'll give Cognition a try when it comes out, but she's not a name that would compel me to drop everything and rush to the Paypal button.

Is Roberta Williams still working? I thought she'd retired from video games...

God GK3 was a mess, which is disappointing since the first two were excellent.

Roberta isn't working, at least she isn't kickstarting something like most of the old Sierra crew, but isn't that a good thing? EDIT: Just read LadyRhian's Odd Manor comment, my bad.

Once King's Quest was expected to have an expanded plot she crashed and burned consistently, the exception being KQVI...which Jensen had a huge hand in.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited August 2012
    @shawne Warren Spector's another worth watching. Think he was behind a bunch of Looking Glass/Irrational studios stuff including the system shock games.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'd like to personally add Casey Hudson to the list as well. Honestly I feel bad for not knowing some of the names at Blizzard entertainment as well.
    Is Casey Hudson not at Bioware anymore? The guy just produced the Mass Effect trilogy.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    LadyRhian said:

The video is short, but sweet, and the rest of the episode is funny.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/on-blackest-isle

That was hillarious. The only thing better would be if they interview Hearve Caen and caught him with some black paint, spraypainting the west highland Terrier from the Caeser dog food commercial at the start, with him defensively stating: "We couldn't afford an extra for the Black Hound!".

Ok, that was a cheap shot.
    edited August 2012

I'd like to personally add Casey Hudson to the list as well. Honestly I feel bad for not knowing some of the names at Blizzard entertainment as well.

Given that he and Mac Walters were directly responsible for That Ending, I have to confess the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this comment was:

God GK3 was a mess, which is disappointing since the first two were excellent.

I know, right? And this was 1999, vampires were still cool back then. :(

Once King's Quest was expected to have an expanded plot she crashed and burned consistently, the exception being KQVI...which Jensen had a huge hand in.

That was the last KQ game I played - 7 just seemed too Disney-Cartoonish and 8... well, the less said of that, the better.
    LadyRhian said:

@Shawne Apparently, she is working on a social networking game called Odd Manor as of this year.

Not one for SN games myself, but at least she's still doing her thing...
    No Casey Hudson is still at blizzard at far as I know @State_Lemming . The only reason I brought up blizzard is become of the enjoyment I found in both the multiplayer and singleplayer of starcraft 2 and also the *sigh* untold years playing wow. I think most of that was due to the people I played with though.
    edited August 2012
    @Dragonspear: Well, I remember Chris Metzen does Starcraft, but I have no idea about Warcraft or Diablo...

Also, I think you mean BioWare, not Blizzard. :)
    edited August 2012
    @shawne yes I did mean bioware. I won't go edit it though because that will make you look silly.

And actually I think Chris Metzen has his finger (oh this will sound dirty) in just about everything blizzard does. Which I'm fine with.
    shawne said:

I know, right? And this was 1999, vampires were still cool back then. :(

Oh man, the more I think about it, the more depressed I get. GK had fantastic villains, they were engaging and well developed in an industry that too often is full of underwhelming antagonists. Then GK3 comes along with an old rich chauvinist guy with a goatee, and the game still tries to humor you with this whole whodunit mystery set up. Um, I going to put my bet and the guy who laughed manically as I left the room.
    shawne said:

That was the last KQ game I played - 7 just seemed too Disney-Cartoonish and 8... well, the less said of that, the better.

In a way 7 is a little more offensive than 8 because it manages to ruin beloved characters from the series. At least 8 had so little to do with actual King's Quest that it didn't really mess anything up.