Skip to content

Chris Avellone appears on PATV Checkpoint talking about the new/old "Black Isle"

2»

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Cardboard cutout villains are no fun.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i don't know, depending on the game, sometimes i like a cheap and generic villian. I know it's not the same but dr wily in mega man, and then when he later pinned it on random people. you know it's wily but it's funny how he says it's this random person never mentioned before, such as mr X.

in rpg's, it sucks, but depending on the game, heh, sometimes cardboard/cookie cutout is beyond awesome :)
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Well I wouldn't be complaining about, for example, Bowser in a Mario game, but I also wouldn't say is was particularly special. If they had just stuck with Donkey Kong the whole time instead of Bowser, it wouldn't add or detract from the experience. Am I making any sense?
    I guess it all depends on the kind of campaign you're running. You can have a paper-thin big bad, but they have to be doing what they do for a reason. Revenge, protecting/advancing their people... something like that. Even the original Donkey Kong was based on King Kong- he wanted this pretty thing, only this pretty thing was a woman.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Chris Avellone is for me the god of writing when it comes to gaming. Seriously, what he worked on... well, nothing engaged me quite so much. It's why I say Obsidian is superior to BioWare -
    BioWare : BRIGHT WHITE or DARK BLACK
    Obsidian : A LOT OF GRAY, MOAR GRAAAY

While BioWare gave you a big different choice in what you want to be, Obsidian shaded those two options and made them more real.

Fargo + Avellone = Win. I just love how it works - together they make games both top notch in story and in gameplay. It's obviously working out together. Same wavelength I guess.

While on the other hand, names that appeared on this thread, like Schafer and Hennig give me goosebumps just to think of them (especially the latter for Uncharted)

These four guys are gods, they really are. And if Overhaul pulls out a BG3, I know I'll be adding another god to the list ;)
    @state_lemming

noooo, bowser is an awesome villian. how many are so evil to kidnap the same princess over and over and over again. I have not yet a boss as persistent as bowser. And it takes a ton of chrisma to rebuild an army everytime mario defeats it, and a ton of persistence and stamina. I may play as mario, but i always root for browser. That's the only evil big bad i can think of that i root for.

Anyone who's played xenosaga, the first game, i don't want to go into details, but the one that kidnaps momo near the end of the game and does......things......to those reploids.... i would have much rather had a generic boss then him. He always turns my stomach and i don't even like to touch the freak to kill him. It's good that a boss gets you feeling things, but not those kinds of things.
    @Cheesebelly @Trent_Oster non-memorial shrine? ;)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @LadyRhian : I'll be building a giant throne out of pure gold with Trent Oster's statue sitting on it, holding Sarevok's helmet in his right hand and Sarevok's Sword in his left hand, while of course placing his feet on top of a dead troll. It's going to be triumphant! (quick, someone make artworks of it!)

PS - Oster's eyes will also be usable as a super laser cannon to take down envious developers!
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick By now, Bowser seems to be running on Revenge against Mario as his motivation for doing what he does. I'd love to see a game where Bowser invents a sex-changing ray and turns it on Mario, figuring that by "girling Mario up" it's gonna turn him into a total wuss... only to find out that girl-Mario kicks even more ass than guy Mario. And the only way Bowser can think to get him to back off is to turn the ray on himself and be like "You can't hit me! I'm a woman!" and MariA hesitates a moment, grins and says, "You're forgetting something... I'm a woman now, too!" and beats him senseless like he usually does. And when Mario and Peach are ready to go home, she takes the ray with her, because sometimes, you just want another woman you can hang with... ;)

OOC: Argh, fixed typo
    @Cheesebelly Not a troll head... Irenicus' head!
    @ladyrhian

nooooo, bowser always screws up his master plan and then finds a way to use it against mario. So you're right about most of it but i see it as him going to use it on mario, drops it, and turns himself into a woman. Mario is like, huh? see's bowser in a chainmail bikini and learns a new attack: projectile vomiting.

anyways, on a less gross note, bowser pulls the whole, you can't hit me, i'm a woman, so mario has to go on a quest to get the items to turn bowser back into a man like thing (since he broke the wand, but some reptiles are neither......nvm). Then he has to come back and turn bowser into a man and his new outfit does massive damage before mario even starts fighting him.

.....bowser is so awesome, even when he's bawserina. Imagine the scene where him and peach are bonding and he's sad because he's an ugly woman so peach puts makeup on her and gets her a wig and sooooo much awesome there. We need to tell nintendo about this for the next paper mario game :)
    @Bjjorick Super Sex Change Mario... ;)
    i'd say, slap a dildo on bowsers head and beat him silly. might be a bit graphic but mario doesn't ahve the best of gender change.....
    and lol, sorry, i keep derailing topics, i'm terrible about that, good thing i don't drive trains for a living

Chris Avellone is for me the god of writing when it comes to gaming. Seriously, what he worked on... well, nothing engaged me quite so much. It's why I say Obsidian is superior to BioWare -
    BioWare : BRIGHT WHITE or DARK BLACK
    Obsidian : A LOT OF GRAY, MOAR GRAAAY

While BioWare gave you a big different choice in what you want to be, Obsidian shaded those two options and made them more real.

That is a very *ahem* black and white way of looking at the two. Honestly I think it is tricky labeling either developer. I'm not sure what is more "real" about Obsidian.
    @State_Lemming But Obsidian is a real stone! ;)
    geez, that comic is so wrong, especially the 1 up that commited suicide rather then join with weegie :((
    Want some Falcon Pu... nevermind, forget it.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Oh man, the more I think about it, the more depressed I get. GK had fantastic villains, they were engaging and well developed in an industry that too often is full of underwhelming antagonists. Then GK3 comes along with an old rich chauvinist guy with a goatee, and the game still tries to humor you with this whole whodunit mystery set up. Um, I going to put my bet and the guy who laughed manically as I left the room.

That's not even the worst of it. After building up their love-hate relationship for two games, Gabriel and Grace finally get together... because a vampire scared her. And then she runs off to India or whatever. Really, Jane? Really? :/
    @Shawne That's Moonlighting all over again. It's TV romance writing. :P
    shawne said:

That's not even the worst of it. After building up their love-hate relationship for two games, Gabriel and Grace finally get together... because a vampire scared her. And then she runs off to India or whatever. Really, Jane? Really? :/

Ugh. Now I have to go install the first two games and try to flush all these GK3 memories from my system.

:D
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2012
    shawne said:

@LadyRhian: Agreed, the first two Gabriel Knight games are fantastic, but Jensen never really reached that level with her later work IMO - GK3 was disappointing and Gray Matter turned out surprisingly dull given the premise. I'll give Cognition a try when it comes out, but she's not a name that would compel me to drop everything and rush to the Paypal button.

Cognition isn't written by Jane Jensen (she's a story consultant). Moebius is, however, I backed the heck out of it in the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter. If it's great, I'll forgive everything that was messy in GK3 and Gray Matter. Here's hoping it will be a success, and Pinkerton Road will be able to make GK4 in the future. And Gray Matter 2; the game was flawed but I'd like to see more of the story.
    Yeah I'm skeptical of Cognition, the KQ fan game they put out was pretty strange. They have a lot of dedication though, so maybe Jensen steered them in the right direction.

None of the Pinkerton Road games really called out to me, but then I wasn't particularly interested in a game about 90s voodoo crime solving either and that became one of my favorite games.