Skip to content

What is your favorite chapter ? (spoilers)

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
  1. What is your favorite chapter ? (spoilers)33 votes
    1. Prologue (Easthaven , Orc Cave , Kuldahar Pass)
        9.09%
    2. Chapter One (Kuldahar , Vale of Shadows, Temple of the Forgotten God)
      18.18%
    3. Chapter Two (Dragon's Eye)
      18.18%
    4. Chapter Three (The Severed Hand)
      42.42%
    5. Chapter Four (Upper Dorn's Deep, Catacombs , Wyrm's tooth)
        3.03%
    6. Chapter Five (Lower Dorn)
        9.09%
    7. Chapter Six (Easthaven, Crystal Tower)
        0.00%

Comments

• MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I really liked the Severed hand when originally I played the game, I liked it even more when you go back in IWD2.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited February 2015
    Moradin said:

I really liked the Severed hand when originally I played the game, I liked it even more when you go back in IWD2.

Jarrakul said:

The Severed Hand all the way. A once-proud elven fortress, now fallen to ruin, its defenders still stalking the halls... so cool.

The first three floors of the severed hand were a bit annoying for me , with all its ambushes and ghosts...

Another chapter that I like a lot is chapter 4 , makes me feel like the party is exploring the Mines of Moria ;D
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I like all of the original game, the first three chapters are particularly strong.

There was a similar poll a while back where I was also the only person who chose Dragon's Eye as my favorite part. It still is. I love the dungeon design, and I love that level of play.
    But its a close thing. This game starts VERY strong.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    It seems I am the only one to vote for this options so far.

I really liked the dungeons in this chapter. You finally get to fight drow (a first for me in Infinity Engine Games... BG1 Drizzt not included) which is pretty cool. I liked the random wizard who lives near all the myconids. I like the ghosts in Dorn's Deep and I loved the random wizard who got turned into an Umber Hulk and the fight against the Orog Chief.

But my favorite part was the library puzzle. Where you had to walk across the right symbols or get ZAPPED. It was one of the most memorable parts of the game from my very first play-through and it always brings back memories whenever I get there.

I also really like chapters 3 as well. The Severed Hand is really cool, especially with the right party.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    atcDave said:

I like all of the original game, the first three chapters are particularly strong.

There was a similar poll a while back where I was also the only person who chose Dragon's Eye as my favorite part. It still is. I love the dungeon design, and I love that level of play.

Dragon's eye is wonderful, and although it is hard and time consuming , I wouldn't change a thing!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    DJKajuru said:

atcDave said:

Dragon's eye is wonderful, and although it is hard and time consuming , I wouldn't change a thing!
    I particularly like the Ziggarat fight. Its the coming of event that gives me a solid clue if my current party is going to be very strong, or a little more challenging!
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    edited February 2015
    Dragon's Eye was an incredible challenge with a first-time play-through on insane difficulty. My multi-classers were still coming into their own, and I was being constantly overwhelmed by the hordes of trolls, I just couldn't drop them fast enough, and with the lack of weapons dealing fire damage, I had to carefully micro-manage my fighter-mage to cast burning hands on as many trolls as possible, while moving the rest of my party out of the way. I came to love spells that I had previously considered useless when playing the Baldur's Gate series, such as Web, and the Icewind Dale Druid exclusive spell Spike Growth. It was just a great example of how deeply immersing the combat tactics and spell strategies can become. Enjoyed every frustrating minute of it.
    Post edited by Chidojuan on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Definitely Dragon's Eye, closely followed by the Severed Hand. I find that it's a great mix of having enough levels to make combat engaging, but not too much XP to trivialize it (assuming you don't go off to HoW before the Hand of course).

At later stages you just have so many tools available to you things get too easy even on Insane HoF. And at early game you have so little things you can do it's just sitting around whacking stuff. In between, though, that's where the enjoyment peaks for me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    In short: Astrolabe, Whirls, Twirls!

At length: My favourite part is the Severed Hand. You come there not knowing what to expect and step-by-step explore and find out what has happened to all those elves.

I like how the story there unfolds, how shadows still think they're alive. Some details in the Severed Hand are simply great: the destruction of the Labelas Tower and how it looks like, the ability to refresh the pool in the priests' Tower, the librarian and, of course, the chamber with the Astrolabe.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    Jarrakul said:

The Severed Hand all the way. A once-proud elven fortress, now fallen to ruin, its defenders still stalking the halls... so cool.

love the atmosphere in there. layout is a bit quirky. killing undead is always fun!

• MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited February 2015
    Despite its name, it seems Chapter 3 is taking the upper hand :smile:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'm a huge dwarf fan. But even I have to say the Severed Hand.

The scenery looks great. The levels have multiple entrances so you need to go up and down to reach places. There are ambushes that hit you. There is good loot to be had. There is a level of 'friendles' who you can talk to/sell/buy from. And then there are several towers with independent quests and their own feel to it. It's just a very well designed dungeon.