Skip to content

Will a hard copy (a CD / memory stick etc) be available for BG:EE or is it download only?

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
Have searched for this info to no avail. So sorry if this has been asked before.

Will BG:EE be availble on CD?

As an older computer user, downloads always make me feel slightly nervous. A CD and a box always make me feel better somehow... Like gold, I like to bite a CD to prove I have the genuine article. Maybe I should just get over it...

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    This question has been asked before. I think the general answer was that much depends on how well the enhanced edition sells for, as there are currently doubts about whether releasing a hard copy of the game would be financially viable.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited August 2012
    It's download only. They've said they might want to do a physical collector's edition, but that's about it. EDIT: Tried to find it but couldn't... it's in one of the threads here somewhere though.

That being said though, you might be able to just copy-paste entire game somewhere after installing it since it has no DRM (other than a one-time activation apparently) much like a MMORPG and the installer most certainly can be kept for later use.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Cool. I have collectors edition already... Probably gonna be a mug and download BG1:EE, BG2:EE, BG3:EE and then get the collectors edition on CD... All because Minsc will miss me...
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    As much as I would very much like to see a hard copy of both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition game, it is digital only. (For now)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    You will be able to burn the downloaded installer/game to disk and use that for (unlimited) installation to other PCs and laptops.

Ir looks like there are ways to jailbreak an iPad to connect it to an external CD/DVD player or hard drive, but it hardly seems worth the trouble given that the iPad download costs a mere ten bucks to begin with.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    @Lemernis Actually... as a person who is in full time employment (Count your blessings in this day and age) £10 for the game is very little. I like Beer. I have forgone 8 ales for the privelidge of this game... With the added bonus of having more braincells at the end of the week! Double Bonus!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I will take my original BG manual, the BG2 Manual, the ToB Manual, the reference sheets and the strategy guides for SOA and TOB and put them in a box. In there, I will put all of the original CD's. I will take out a sharpie and write BG:EE on the top and tape it shut. Then I will put saran wrap around that box and a $19.99 price tag. Then, I will say "10% off" to match the pre-order price. Voila!

Or not. Too much work...
    edited August 2012
    If someone could make a CD sticker I could stick on my CD that I have copied it onto I would be happy. Maybe I could have a go... Hmmm