Skip to content

Possible to run BGEE/BG2EE on external hard drive?

AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
Just curious if anyone knew how to pull this off. It would simplify some multiple computer issues. (Specifically interested in BG2 but figure the issue is common to both games).

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I would be very interested to know the answer to this if it means that I could install the game in its entirety onto something that is physically separate from my PC and all its associated idiosyncrasies - I've been thinking of getting a separate computer just for this (i.e. one that will never be connected to the internet).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't see why not. However, in practice externals are slower and that might cause frustration.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

I don't see why not. However, in practice externals are slower and that might cause frustration.

Any recommended procedure to try? Sorry - pretty sure I will do this and it will look for the exe on the c drive because I am overlooking some basics.
    Why not do a fresh install on the external.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    That's exactly what I'm talking about and from what you say, looks do-able.

Why not do a fresh install on the external.

Is this downloading the beamdog installation program onto the external and running it there?
    bengoshi said:

I do it all the time without any problems.

EDIT: you don't need to download the game again.

Just copy your whole game's folder and paste it to your external hard drive. Then run the exe file from your external hard drive whenever you want and on whatever computer or laptop you need.

You can do it as many times as you want.

Both singleplayer and multiplayer work fine.

There's absolutely no difference where your game folder is located.

You can even play a multiplayer game between your PC/laptop and another PC/laptop in a situation when the game runs from 2 external hard drives.

Where do you keep your saves, portaits, etc.? Do those still need to be in your documents folder on the PC per a normal installation or do they go on the external hard drive, too?
    @AHF I don't imagine the location of the installer matters. Just specify the installation folder on your external drive. I believe the game automatically uses My Documents/[...] for saves, so you'd have to move those around manually.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739

@AHF I don't imagine the location of the installer matters. Just specify the installation folder on your external drive. I believe the game automatically uses My Documents/[...] for saves, so you'd have to move those around manually.

Exactly. And if you want to continue your adventure on another computer, just copy you Baldur's Gate folder from the Documents folder of your first device to your external drive and then paste it to your second device.
    Just tried this out and it worked great! Thanks so much @bengoshi and @FinneousPJ !