Skip to content

Monster weaknesses

I can find stats all day long on hp, strengths and so on, but I can't seem to find anything on weaknesses, (how do you kill the $%$%$* thing?). Anyone know of a good resource?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'm not familiar with any comprehensive resource on monster weaknesses or strategies, but if you have questions about specific enemies, I'm sure you could ask around here.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/27144

That should be able to give you the information you need for Baldur's Gate 2 monsters.
  • HunterHunter Member Posts: 28
    Thank you!
    Ok, new question. I just cleared out the unseeing eye lair and need to return the rift device, but the door back to the sewer tunnel won't open. Did I miss a key somewhere?
    edited February 2015
    Hunter said:

Ok, new question. I just cleared out the unseeing eye lair and need to return the rift device, but the door back to the sewer tunnel won't open. Did I miss a key somewhere?

1.) Loot device in the beholder lair
    2.) Use it on the beholder boss
    3.) There is an exit in the beholder lair south side of the beholder lair map in the middle, right next to where you looted the device, it can be a little hard to find it.
    4.) You'll be up at the places with the sarcophagus and the unseeing eye exiles, click on the hidden wall to open a door to the hallway, walk down the hallway and walk down the stairs. Follow the next map until you get to the lost city, talk to the guy there and give him the rod. After that return to the place where the unseeing eye prophets live, talk to gaal and you can also loot all the rooms there now.
    5.) Return to talk to the priest from the temple, the one who gave you the quest.
    6.) Quest completed.

Hope that helps.
    Did all that. But when I exited the unseeing eye lair, the pink (hidden) door just clicked and wouldn't open ... but I went back and it finally did on the 4th attempt
    Hunter said:

Did all that. But when I exited the unseeing eye lair, the pink (hidden) door just clicked and wouldn't open ... but I went back and it finally did on the 4th attempt

Could be a bug introduced in BG2ee. While it's an improvement over the original games, there are sadly a few bugs that haven't been taken care of yet, but they should be removed with the incoming 1.3 patch for BG2ee.
    One thing I've noticed is that the secret door sometimes takes a few seconds to unlock. Is it possible you just weren't waiting very long?
    Absolutely not ... I have the patience of a Sphinx ;p
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Btw how exactly does False Dawn work on Undead? It seems to use a special formular for Shadows where it deals over 1000 damage to them (and also vampires?) and Liches seem to be damaged even with their spell protection up and Hexxat just ignores it even if she really shouldn't.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    False dawn shouldn't work like that. You are using sunray, perhaps? From the daystar sword? Sunray does damage to everyone and additionaly does 1000+ damage to undead if they blow a save. Liches can be damaged as it is an area effect spell and thus bypasses spell turning/trap. They are very unlikely to fail their save vs spells, though.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Oh I never realized that Sunray is a different spell, Yes its from daystar. Though I never understood the area spells bypass spelltrap. Their own Meteor Rain and when I cast it doesn't work and I'm pretty sure that delayed fireball or Abi Dazims horrid wittering also don't work in these cases.
    Well, the problem is that I have the memory of a hard drive ... limited storage space. Once full, you gotta delete something before adding new info. (I'm probably dating myself here, but I started using 'puters when 40 meg was state of the art, 4" thick, and "My GAWD who's ever gonna fill THAT up!") I'm getting old and if people don't yell at me once in a while, I'd forget my own damn name.

That said, what I'm looking for is a resource something like Lunar's post. Include the stats of course, but instead of just stats, "Requires +2 weapons to hit" or "vunerable to cold", etc.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited February 2015
    The problem is that there are a lot of creature files in the game and they don't always work consistently the same (as far as immunities, resistances, etc). So putting something together like that (with both stats and immunities, including weapon immunities) would be a lot of work. But Lunar's list and the link provided by SionIV should give you some good ideas.
    I'm not looking for a individual by individual break down, just a general guide. For instance, I know trolls require fire or acid to be killed, but I didn't know shadow fiends are immune to fire/cold/acid but weak to lightning, (thanks Lunar). Treat me as if I'm brand new to the game, as I essentially am. I only played pen & paper D&D once in my life, and the guys who *invited* me to play killed me off in the first 5 minutes and expected me to just sit and watch for the next hour or so as they had fun. Screw that. I never played again until I was given BG2 SoA by a friend years ago but never played past chapter 2. I love the game, but it's more fun when you know that chucking fireballs at fire elementals is just pi**ing in the wind.
    I get no enjoyment from emptying the inventory of every character and getting nothing but "Weapon ineffective", and constantly reloading the game after death only to get the same results. I'm not a mechanic or doctor. I would rather find the actual answer, or at least a ballpark idea, rather than changing parts or drugs until I luck upon the right one. If I have to spend all my available play time on futility, what's the f***ing point?

You sound like one of the guys that ruined the game for me at the start. Teach me how to play by killing me until I figure out "you shouldn't do that", or "that weapon don't work on that creature". I'd be willing to bet you are a "toss the kid in and let him sink or swim" teacher.

Is there or is there not any kind of manual or resource that I can refer to that gives more than stats? I don't need a specific named character guide, just "This monster requires +3 weapons to hit" kinda thing. I have a copy of the BG2 Monster Encyclopaedia, and I understand if it says an Iron Golem is immune to fire, fireball is not gonna work, but what it doesn't tell me is it requires +3 to hit.
    SionIV said:

Hunter said:

Could be a bug introduced in BG2ee. While it's an improvement over the original games, there are sadly a few bugs that haven't been taken care of yet, but they should be removed with the incoming 1.3 patch for BG2ee.
    I suppose I should upgrade/ I'm still playing SoA vanilla :wink:
    edited February 2015
    I would just like to mention that everyone here have "constantly reloading the game after death only to get the same results" and we did learn from our mistakes. Baldur's Gate is a game that you have to learn, and you'll learn the best from making mistakes. It'll be frustrating but at the same time you will never forget it again.

You have to put time and effort into this game, if you don't do that you won't nearly enjoy it as much as you could. There will be many things you'll have to figure out and learn on your own, but it's something you'll keep with you so that for your next game it'll be easier and you'll be more experienced. Most people here have played the game well over 10+ times.

Baldur's Gate is about the journey, not the finish, and learning what every monster do is part of that journey.

I apologize if i come forward as rude, but this might not be the game for you?
    Actually, what I'd like to see most is a full description of what the game's feedback actually means. "Weapon ineffective", for example, means something very specific (that your weapon needs more plusses). The problem is, it's not clear how that's distinct from "xxxx is immune to my damage". "Magic resistance" and "spell ineffective" are similarly different, and again the difference between them is not intuitive. Perhaps it'd be useful for someone to make a list of all the various "immune/resistant" feedback types, so new players can at least know what the game is telling them?
    edited February 2015
    Jarrakul said:

Actually, what I'd like to see most is a full description of what the game's feedback actually means. "Weapon ineffective", for example, means something very specific (that your weapon needs more plusses). The problem is, it's not clear how that's distinct from "xxxx is immune to my damage". "Magic resistance" and "spell ineffective" are similarly different, and again the difference between them is not intuitive. Perhaps it'd be useful for someone to make a list of all the various "immune/resistant" feedback types, so new players can at least know what the game is telling them?

I really don't see how it's that complicated.

My weapon is ineffective : The weapon i am using now does not work against this enemy.
    Golem is immune to my damage : The type of damage i'm dealing now is not working.

Magic resistance : The enemy resisted my magic spell. I might be able to still hit him with the spell, depending on his magic resistance. And i can also lower his resistance with lower resistance.
    Spell ineffective : This spell does not work against this type of enemy.

It takes a few seconds of reading to figure it out. If things like this is complicated i would hate to see people try playing Warmachine/Horde.
    SionIV said:

I would just like to mention that everyone here have "constantly reloading the game after death only to get the same results" and we did learn from our mistakes. Baldur's Gate is a game that you have to learn, and you'll learn the best from making mistakes. It'll be frustrating but at the same time you will never forget it again.

You have to put time and effort into this game, if you don't do that you won't nearly enjoy it as much as you could. There will be many things you'll have to figure out and learn on your own, but it's something you'll keep with you so that for your next game it'll be easier and you'll be more experienced. Most people here have played the game well over 10+ times.

Baldur's Gate is about the journey, not the finish, and learning what every monster do is part of that journey.

I appreciate your perspective, but at the risk of sounding rude myself, (which is not my intent), I have a life. I don't get a lot of free time to play, so I don't want to waste what little I get on constant reload/death. Ruins all the fun. Nor am I asking for a blow by blow how to kill every creature tutorial. Raw recruits get a little basic training before getting thrown into combat. As seasoned campaigners, and obvious lovers of the game, don't you think it would improve the experience for rookie and veteran alike to have new players that have a minimum education? What may seem intuitive to you would be, (and is), a universal mystery to someone who has played the game, (computer AND PnP), a grand total of less than 10 hours,(much less 10 times). Step up Vets! This elitist "I learned that way so you have to", hand em a weapon and "Good luck newb" attitude sure as hell ain't no way to encourage new players. Hell at this point I'm beginning to wonder if you *ARE* the guys that killed me off first go. :frowning:

That said, if you can't offer a constructive response to my question, then please refrain from responding at all.
    Hunter said:

SionIV said:

I appreciate your perspective, but at the risk of sounding rude myself, (which is not my intent), I have a life. I don't get a lot of free time to play, so I don't want to waste what little I get on constant reload/death. Ruins all the fun. Nor am I asking for a blow by blow how to kill every creature tutorial. Raw recruits get a little basic training before getting thrown into combat. As seasoned campaigners, and obvious lovers of the game, don't you think it would improve the experience for rookie and veteran alike to have new players that have a minimum education? What may seem intuitive to you would be, (and is), a universal mystery to someone who has played the game, (computer AND PnP), a grand total of less than 10 hours,(much less 10 times). Step up Vets! This elitist "I learned that way so you have to", hand em a weapon and "Good luck newb" attitude sure as hell ain't no way to encourage new players. Hell at this point I'm beginning to wonder if you *ARE* the guys that killed me off first go. :frowning:

That said, if you can't offer a constructive response to my question, then please refrain from responding at all.
    Well i can't help you out then, good luck and i hope it works out for you. I'm more certain now than ever that you're playing the wrong game, but i hope i'm wrong and that it'll work out for you so you can enjoy this classic game.

I won't respond anymore to this thread, have a lovely day :smile:
    Jarrakul said:

Thank you! It doesn't even have to be that complicated. The list of creatures is very helpful, if only a small note for ones that "require +3 weapon to hit" ... the kind of thing you will only figure out if you actually *HAVE* a +3 weapon.

The ad hominem aside, I consider myself more of a "tell them where the toolbox is"-teacher rather than a "just give them the right tool"-teacher. I believe in the value of learning, but above all the value of learning HOW to learn. Much more useful in the long run, in my experience.

It is indeed fortunate our society does not agree with you or we'd still be in the stone age. The very essence of education is those who know showing those who don't how it's done. Hell even chimps do it. It's fine to show them the toolbox, but if you don't include a few basic rules, your students are gonna shed a lot of body parts before they learn.

Some people prefer short-term gratification

That would be the same people who have actual lives and can't spend a lifetime learning by trial and error. It *IS* just a freaking game after all.
    lunar said:

Not a complete list, but:

That has been very helpful. Thank you very much. Do you know of a more comprehensive list such as that anywhere? Surely there must be. If a monster needs +3 to hit, I can't imagine that someone just said, "Let's make this guy hard to hit, but let's not jot it down. Spread the news word of mouth" ;P

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2015
    Magic resistance stops a spell dead cold. The spell can not touch the creature at all if the magic resistance check succeeds. You throw a fireball to a drow, he has %80 magic resistance. The game rolls a percentile dice secretly. If the drow rolls 80 or lower, his magic resistance kicks in, and he is totally unaffected by the fireball. You will see drow-magic resistance. In the %20 remaining chance, the drow's magic resistance fails and he is affected by the fireball just like any normal creature would. He gets a saving throw, for half damage. If he has no fire damage resistance he suffers the full damage.

A demon, on the other hand, will first get a magic resistance check like the drow, then a saving throw as usual, and then his innate fire resistance will soak up or nullify the damage completely. Say if the demon is %50 fire resistant, he will take half damage if he blows his magic resistance roll. If he is %100 fire resistant, he takes no damage whatsoever. You will see demon-was immune to my damage message. If the magic resistance succeeds, you will get the demon-magic resistance message just like the drow example.

Some spells bypass magic resistance. High lvl ability dragons breath bypasses magic resistance, but ofcourse fire damage resistance will cut the damage since it deals pure fire damage. Fire storm and storm of vengeance priest spells also bypass magic resistance, making especially fire storm very handy against drow armies. Finally, imprisonment spell bypasses magic resistance, and offers no saving throw!

If the spell can not touch a creature because the creature is naturally immune to its level, like liches are immune to lvl 5 spells or lower, you will get -spell ineffective message. Or a mage protected by minor globe of invulnerability will net you -spell ineffective message if he is hit by a fireball. Minor globe of invulnerability blocks 3rd lvl spells and lower, and fireball is a third level spell. -magic resistance message means the spell may affect the creature, but it gets away with magic resistance:you can try again and get lucky, or lower its magic resistance by lower resistance spell.

Some magical creatures require magical weapons to hit. If you ever get a weapon ineffective message, you need a higher enchanted weapon to hit the creature.

Or, the creature may have casted a battle protection spell. Like mantle or protection from magic weapons. Mantle and improved mantle makes the caster untouchable by weapons of lesser enchantments, you will get the 'weapon ineffective' message if your weapon is not of enough enchantment level. Protection from magic weapons, however, will make the caster untouchable to all magical weapons. If a human mage casts this, you can use normal, unenchanted weapons to hit him. When a lich casts it, it becomes untouchable to all weapons, because a lich is naturally untouchable by normal weapons, being an evil, undead monstrosity. You can cast breach or dispel/remove magic or wait the spell duration out. It lasts four rounds and liches are immune to spell breach, anyway.

Stoneskin is different. It stops the damage of the weapon, but only the pyschial damage. The weapon still connects. Thus, you get no -weapon ineffective message. Also, any on-hit abilities work through stoneskin:additional elemental damages, hold effects, poison, level drain, dispel on hit etc. will affect the stoneskinned creature fully.