Skip to content

Odd party combination

I was thinking of having a party consisting of Korgan, Edwin, Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia. CHARNAME is a melee tank. Is this party feasible? Can a party get by without a thief? Will the spells find traps and knock be enough?

Aerie is the odd one out. I realize that I can't get my reputation too low, or she will leave.

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Korgan might start harassing Aerie, making one of them have to leave (banters are random though, so it's possible to avoid it.)

I suppose it is feasible to get by without a thief... don't remember having ever tried it.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Not fun without a thief ...
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Without severely modding towards difficulty, any party combination can clear the game no problem.

You can absolutely get by without a thief. I regularly do it even on the highest difficulties. Traps can be avoided or brute-forced, as can locks - particularly with a mage that can cast Knock.

The party conflicts may be a thing, I don't quite remember all the conditions. I think you can avoid trouble in your setup if you're careful, but I know for sure there are some combinations that will 100% lead to one person leaving or dying (like Keldorn + Viconia).
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Is the Aerie/Korgan ultimatum preventable? Can you prevent the choice from happening?
    Thesblah said:

Is the Aerie/Korgan ultimatum preventable? Can you prevent the choice from happening?

If you're lucky it won't ever come up. I've played with them both before and not had it, perhaps because Korgan is usually at the front of the formation and Aerie the back, so he never sees her to start anything. But the only way to be completely certain of preventing it is to install a mod that removes it or change game variables using the console or a savegame editor.
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Does charisma affect it all? My character has 18 charisma. I was wondering if a higher charisma could cause NPCs in your party to begrudgingly get along?
    Thesblah said:

Does charisma affect it all? My character has 18 charisma. I was wondering if a higher charisma could cause NPCs in your party to begrudgingly get along?

No, unfortuately it doesn't affect any inter-party conflicts AFAIK.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    There is a way. If you enter a specific variable in the console then the game will think they already had the ultimatum conversation and it won't happen. It is just a matter of me finding that variable...
    Ah, here it is! Enter this into the console WHILE YOUR CURSOR IS OVER KORGAN and it should prevent Aerie from leaving the group (if I am correct). Note that this will not disable the banters that lead up to this fight so Aerie will still give an ultimatum but she should not actually leave when push comes to shove.
    C:SetGlobal("BKorgan18","LOCALS",1)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'm pretty sure high charisma does affect party interactions if that character is the leader of the party?
    Wowo said:

I'm pretty sure high charisma does affect party interactions if that character is the leader of the party?

The manuals may say that but they are often wrong... as they are in this case.