Skip to content

Unable to cast cleric spells (BG2EE)

BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
Hello all. My problem is thus:

I used EEKeeper to edit my PC in a post-dungeon save to a L0 fighter. I then used the console in-game to grant him 64,000 XP, dualed him to cleric, and gave him a few cleric levels. He had no spells memorised, so I used EEKeeper to give him some. I also used the console in-game to add the alignment-appropriate Bhaalspawn powers, which new games on the enhanced edition for some reason do not grant.

At some point after this, I noticed that the character's spellcasting icon in the toolbar was grayed out. Id est, I cannot access or cast spells at all. He is subject to no status effect, his spells (according to his priest scroll) are memorised, and I don't know what might be causing it.

I took off all his equipment; no luck. I scrubbed his spellbook and rested to memorise them normally; no luck. As I levelled up 'naturally' (sort of) in-game, I don't see how using EEKeeper to memorise spells (or the console to add innate abilities, which I have also done on another save with no adverse effect) could have borked his spellcasting, but I see no other explanation. There is nothing within the mechanics of the game that should be preventing me from accessing or casting those memorised spells, but the button remains greyed out.

I'm plum out of ideas. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Comments

• BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    Update: I tried the same thing with a blade, minus the added innate abilities.

1: Used EEKeeper to create a level 0 blade with no experience, no proficiencies, no spells, no nothing. The abilities and characteristics screens looked like this:

2: Went in-game and leveled up to level 1, selecting proficiencies and such as one would do at the beginning of Baldur's Gate 1.
    3: Used the console to add c. 228K experience, leveled up to level 11 as normal, memorised a few spells and slept. The spells then appeared in my character's spellbook as if they were memorised, but the spell icon on the UI toolbar remained greyed out.

This is vexing my slightly. I know the starting dungeon well enough to get it a thoughtful valentine's gift, and my intention had been to avoid it without having to mod the game. I'm not adverse to installing DBG for future playthroughs, but the cleric save which I described in post 1 was already a ways in before I realised I couldn't access spells.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    This happens when you right click on a spell from the main game screen and press esc to leave the spell description. To fix it all you have to do is right click on a spell again and click on the ok button instead of pressing esc.
  • BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply, @Tresset, but that wasn't the issue. (In the interests of being forensic I attempted the fix you suggested, to no avail.) The good news is, though, that I have just discovered the issue. In EEKeeper, under the 'Effects' tab for the affected character, I found the following entry:

Type: Button: Disable Button [144]
    Parameter 1: 0
    Parameter 2: 2
    Resource 3: SPCL322
    Time: 0
    Flags: Instant, Permanent
    Target: Preset Target

I removed this and hey presto: my cleric can cast his spells. Huzzah!

I'm not sure why that effect was implemented, but hopefully anyone else who experiences this strange problem will happen upon this thread.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    It has something to do with dual class I'll wager... One of my characters has that effect too, but she can't cast spells so I never noticed.