Skip to content

An old question I've not yet seen an answer to...

Been playing BG2 since it was released, on & off, now playing with EE editions (also BGEE & IWDEE).
I'm still not sure on one thing though.

In the original BG2, Sorceror didn't actually have any necessary stat for it's casting. Wizard had Int, Cleric had Wis etc.
Is this still true in BG2EE? The description claims that Int AND Cha are primary but does either actually effect them?

I know that they need at least 9 Int to cast from a scroll. If these stats actually do mean something now then what do they mean? Do I get more spells/day?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Nope. Sorcerers don't need any int or cha or anything to cast any of their spells. Wisdom still helps with their wish spell though. Mages, however, need a certain intelligence score to write spells into their books. I believe they need at least 18 or 19 int to write level 9 spells into their books. Not really much of a problem since you can just have your mage drink a potion of genius to write level 9 spells.
  • SeraphSeraph Member Posts: 38
    As of the previous patch there was still no stat requirements for sorcerer casting. I haven't had a chance to test it in the latest patch, but I didn't see any mention in the patch notes about it changing.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    The text about sorcerers needing cha or int is fluff. A cha 3 or int 3 sorcerer will have the exact spell casting abilities as a 25 cha and int sorc.

Wisdom is essential for good results in wish spells, however. So powergaming choice is having 18 wisdom. At least 11 int to survive 2 hits from a mind flayer. And as low cha as possible, use the ring of human influence/friends scroll when cha is very needed. Max out str, dex, and for dragon disciples, con at character generation so he can get regeneration with kit con bonuses.
  • AerevynAerevyn Member Posts: 14
    Very helpful information all, it is as I thought...

Thanks

Kinda-of a shame though, I'd love for CHA to mean something to someone outside of store prices. Perhaps a future patch could change the number of spells per day...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Aerevyn said:

Perhaps a future patch could change the number of spells per day...

I can guarantee you that won't happen.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Aerevyn said:

Very helpful information all, it is as I thought...

Thanks

Kinda-of a shame though, I'd love for CHA to mean something to someone outside of store prices. Perhaps a future patch could change the number of spells per day...

It does change certain dialogues and quest rewards.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    The Dragon Disciple (sorc kit) has a minimum charisma of 15, although it doesn't add anything special for the kit.
    edited February 2015
    luskan said:

The Dragon Disciple (sorc kit) has a minimum charisma of 15, although it doesn't add anything special for the kit.

Yeah, paladins, druids, bards, shadowdancers and ddisciples all need to be beautiful people. For reasons. It does nothing extra for their class abilities, just makes rolling a ridiculously high stat number total a bit easier.

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Not necessarily beautiful - it's wide known and accepted that Charisma is responsible for much more than looks ;)
    Lathlaer said:

Not necessarily beautiful - it's wide known and accepted that Charisma is responsible for much more than looks ;)

Well that's what they say, call me a very superficial guy, but my idea is also based on how the game engine treats charisma:it is no leadership skill, or persuasiveness most of the time. Mainly it affects initial reactions and store prices.

It is a scientificly proven fact that people judge others by their appearance at least initially, and react accordingly. First impressions are almost always based on appearance and the game's reaction adjustment adjusts just this.

Ugly people have to work twice or more hard to gain attention/prove themselves while beautiful people can just smile by and they will get admirers and everyone will be very willing to help them. This is the reaction adjustment. Npcs will react to you according to charisma without you even saying a word. they are not affected by your commanding aura/persuasiveness/personal magnetism, you haven't even talked yet! Beautiful people will even get paid more and be charged less, hence the store costs in-game thing. A research showed that even beautiful babies/children will get more attention and care from their parents compared to their ugly siblings, even though every sensible parent will deny this:they do this unknowingly. Because maybe instinctively they want to protect and preserve the perfect genes of the beautiful child much more.

• AerevynAerevyn Member Posts: 14
    Charisma is best described as "force of personality". It's a very hard thing to quantify and involves pretty-much anything that someone might use to their advantage to get their way without resorting to violence. This can include their physical appearance but doesn't have to.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i feel charisma has a lot more to do with the way your pc carries himself and comes across (let's call it charm?) than good looks. then again, a very intimidating person could also be perceived as charismatic, i feel.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I feel Godwin's Law could be about to come into play here.