Skip to content

ToB Sarevok

SanxisSanxis Member Posts: 12
So I've just resurrected Sarevok , I want to recruit him to party . The problem is I love my party members and they are quite good for me :

Me : Level 21 mage
Keldorn : Level 21 , AC : -10 , THAC0 : -9 , Carsomyr +5 , Number of attacks : 5/2 ( 20 str , 18 dex , 18 con )
Minsc : Level 21 , AC : -14 , THAC0 : -11/-8 ( Angurvadal +4 / Blackrazor +3 ) , Number of attacks : 4 ( 20 str , 17 dex , 18 con )
Viconia : Level 25
Edwin : Level 20
Jan : Level 15/19

I can drop Jan but then I will lose disarming traps , stealing and his spellcasting abilities . I've stole almost everything on entire SoA thanks to this little friend ( I've got everything I've needed from stealing ) . Edwin is my main nuker and disabler so he will stay . Viconia is my only cleric . Minsc is very good with ring of gax + haste with his swords. Keldorn has deva + free inquisitor abilities ( I can cover inquisitor ablities with my mages but I will lose carsomyr then ) . Of course Minsc and Keldorn use very good equipment ( and the machine of lum mad stat boosters ) If I recruit him , he will use his sword of chaos +4 . So who should I remove from party ?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Sanxis said:

So I've just resurrected Sarevok , I want to recruit him to party . The problem is I love my party members and they are quite good for me :

Me : Level 21 mage
    Keldorn : Level 21 , AC : -10 , THAC0 : -9 , Carsomyr +5 , Number of attacks : 5/2 ( 20 str , 18 dex , 18 con )
    Minsc : Level 21 , AC : -14 , THAC0 : -11/-8 ( Angurvadal +4 / Blackrazor +3 ) , Number of attacks : 4 ( 20 str , 17 dex , 18 con )
    Viconia : Level 25
    Edwin : Level 20
    Jan : Level 15/19

I can drop Jan but then I will lose disarming traps , stealing and his spellcasting abilities . I've stole almost everything on entire SoA thanks to this little friend ( I've got everything I've needed from stealing ) . Edwin is my main nuker and disabler so he will stay . Viconia is my only cleric . Minsc is very good with ring of gax + haste with his swords. Keldorn has deva + free inquisitor abilities ( I can cover inquisitor ablities with my mages but I will lose carsomyr then ) . Of course Minsc and Keldorn use very good equipment ( and the machine of lum mad stat boosters ) If I recruit him , he will use his sword of chaos +4 . So who should I remove from party ?

Sarevok is 10x times better than Minsc. Unless you want Minsc for the dialogues, replace him with Sarevok.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    I'm assuming you are keeping Sarevok just as a fighter then? (I'm basing this on your weapon choice)

Honestly I don't see the need for Viconia here. Minsc can at least be justified because he is one of your few warriors and he is likely to survive if you are holding off an enemy for your mages to get to work. You are going to be inundated with both money and healing potions in ToB. Plus given that you have 2 pure mages and a mage multi-class in your group its doubtful that you'll even take that much damage in most fights. You also can still get at least one Rod of Resurrection if you haven't already found them, so you don't need a cleric for their healing.

So I'd ditch Viconia for Sarevok.

Edit: The only reason in your situation I would consider keeping Viconia is to take advantage of the Energy Blade bug (it currently grants 10 APR permanently to the character using it).
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    elminster said:

Edit: The only reason in your situation I would consider keeping Viconia is to take advantage of the Energy Blade bug (it currently grants 10 APR permanently to the character using it).

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2015
    Planetars and devas can do everything a cleric can, they are also ten times better fighters. Potions of super healing and rods of resurrections are plenty. Vampires and liches are no longer scary foes, so turn undead is not the essential. A pure cleric is a luxury in ToB, not necessity. Unless you are romancing Viconia, or have human skin armor and ring of gaxx plus some other shenenigans to max out her magic resistance, I would drop Viconia. Sarevok will give you a huge boost in melee potential, and in ToB, greater whirlwinding fighters are always useful.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    If you don't want to change the balance of the party, you should replace Minsc : he has better stats and better weapon profs.

If you want to the best possible party, you can ditch Viconia for the reasons given by Lunar.

Whatever your choice, your party will fly through TOB (Edwine or charname or jan alone would suffice to do that...)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    wubble said:

elminster said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
    Apparently its 9 APR. My bad.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37859/11061-melfs-minute-meteors-and-energy-blades-apr
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    elminster said:

wubble said:

elminster said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
    Apparently its 9 APR. My bad.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37859/11061-melfs-minute-meteors-and-energy-blades-apr
    It is not just limited to those two spells. Check my new thread. Sigh.

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2015
    One thing to note, though. Sarevok has the potential to be more powerful than Minsc but he won't be for a bit of time.

As I understand, he will start with 2 500 000 EXP which will put him around 2 mil behind the rest of the party. He will catch up relatively fast but since you have full party and you have already done Watcher's Keep, it won't be THAT fast.

If you intend for him to fight with a two-handed sword, until he gets nice amount of greater whirlwinds, there is no way he will be better than an improved hasted Minsc using Critical Strike and he might have problems outclassing him even then.

To summarize - if you intend to replace Minsc, do not expect a sudden rush of power. Taking his random special attack out of the picture, Sarevok is ultimately just a fighter with 5* in Two Handed Weapons and he won't have better fighter stats than Minsc, who in your party has 20 Str and 18 Con.

True, 5 pips is better than 2 but Minsc more than compensates this with two weapon fighting style and - as far as I can tell - with gauntlets from WK.

So, if anything, when it comes to power, he is closer to Keldorn (number of attacks, two handed weapon) - I wouldn't want to replace Keldorn though, but that is just me.

With three mages in your party and rods of resurrection as well as other scrolls, I tend to agree that power-wise Viconia is the most replacable. Unless you are romancing her of course ;)