Skip to content

Game crashes right after it starts (but then runs smoothly)

Sometimes, when I open BG:EE, the game crashes and never finishes loading. It ends up being a minor inconvenience, since it doesn't crash the computer: I can easily press Esc and the games just shuts down. After this, if I retry to open the game, it runs smoothly as if nothing happened.

I can't tell exactly the frequency with which this little crash occurs, but it is quite often; my estimate is something like 40% - 50% of the times.

I'm reporting it anyway because 1) it happens a bit too often and 2) it might be a symptom of a bigger bug. They say there's always a bigger fish!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlwaysABiggerFish

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    @mctanaka Is a crash report generated when this happens? The crash log folder is called "crash" and can be found in you BG:EE directory inside the Documents folder. If these crashes are generating crash dumps then please zip your .dmp files and upload them here so they can be looked at.
  • mctanakamctanaka Member Posts: 14
    @Tresset It doesn't seem to generate dump files. Should they be located in this BG:EE root folder or in a subfolder?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    edited February 2015
    I am not sure about the Mac file structure, but on a PC the default file path should be something like this:

C:\Users\"user name"\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash

Edit: if there is no crash folder then there likely are no dumps being generated and the game may not actually be crashing...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    It would be helpful if you write what platform (OS/game distribution) you have. Your graphics card type/opengl version would also be helpful.
    Without these, i would say, try to disable your steam overlay and upgrade your graphics drivers .
    Also, instead of ESC, what about hitting alt-enter? Does that have any effect?
  • mctanakamctanaka Member Posts: 14
    Hey guys,

@Tresset After checking the Baldur's Gate folder you mentioned (which I called the "root" folder), I confirmed there was no crash folder. So, in a sense, the game might not be crashing.
    @Avenger_teambg I have a PC/Windows 7. Updating the graphics driver is a good idea. I uptated it this week and, so far, the game has not crashed in this fashion yet. I'll wait a few more days to check whether it completely stopped crashing (or not crashing...)

I'll let you know what happened. Thank you all for the tips!