Skip to content

Seeking General Advice

MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
Hey, all! I have a friend I'm trying to press-gang into... ... erm, I mean, 'convince to play' BGEE with me online. Only problem is, their internet is not the greatest, and we'd rather not be limited too much by that. So I was wondering what the ideal game setup would be to put most of the strain on my network rather than theirs. Who should host the game, what client to use, that sort of thing. Any suggestions?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    If they have a laptop they could always go over to your house and use LAN, otherwise I'd suggest you host.
  • KarashiKarashi Member Posts: 38
    The ideal game setup would definitely be to use LAN if you two are able to game in the same house. Otherwise, you will have to host the game. The last time I played multiplayer the beamdog servers were actuually pretty good for the most part but occasionally they could give you a bit of trouble though I have read that it has been improved greatly with the last patch so using their servers will probably work out well for you. But if you have any issues with them then a great alternative would be to set up your game using hamachi. I used this for a while back when bg:ee first came out and it worked great and is definitely a good fallback to have.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I've been playing a full saga multiplayer game for over a year now, and I got to say that v1.3 has made a huge difference to multiplayer stability, particularly if you play via Beamdog server. Before v1.3 we almost always used Hamachi, post-1.3, we find Beamdog to be more reliable, if a little slower.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Thanks for the tips, all. Sadly they live too far away to make LAN gaming something we can do regularly, but it is good to know I can at least take the edge off by hosting and the Beamdog client is reliable. Hopefully that will work well enough!