Skip to content

Dualing Imoen

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
It seems that most folks feel it is a done deal to dual class Imoen over to a mage. She certainly seems ideal for the task with her Int of 17. Question: Is this best done at the end of BG1, or wait until BG2? Also, this would seem to leave the party without a thief for quite some time, unless I recruit another one. Imoen can't use thief abilities again until she gets to be level 9 mage at the earliest (level 10 mage if I wait till she's level 9 to switch her over). She'll also be a crappy mage for a while, so I need to keep one of those around as well.

So, my group would consist of MyChar (half-orc Kensai), another front line warrior, a cleric, Imoen, and a mage ... leaving me with the choice of keeping Jaheira and doing without a thief entirely for the duration, or parking Jaheira somewhere (thus interrupting her progress in druidic levels, which is already slow enough) and recruiting another thief until Imoen regains her thief abilities.

Not to mention the fact that Imoen's thief abilities would be stuck at level 8 or 9 forever. Is that adequate?

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    She's set as a 7th level thief in BG2, which is more than enough to max out trap finding and lock picking. You can do that in BG1 and reach 8th level mage if you're willing to go without her thief abilities for a fairly long time.

Or you can dual earlier, and still max those important skills. I see no reason to continue leveling thief past 7 in any case.

Or, of course, you can just not dual her in BG1. Your choices won't affect BG2 in any way.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I rarely dual her in BG1. Her thief levels are really never a problem, a 6th or 7th level thief can be completely adequate to the end of ToB depending on the build you want (that always works for me). But I do always want a thief, and I usually already have another mage, so I see no reason to dual her in BG1.
    BG2 starts with the assumption she has dualed, and is already high enough level to get her thief skills back. So at that point; she is ready to be both my only thief and primary mage.
    Obviously a different party may change requirements somewhat (like if you really want another mage in BG1); but generally dualing Imoen is not something I ever worry about.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I almost always dual Imoen in BG1, because I'm not a big fan of single-classed thieves until much later in the level progression. As such, I'm inclined to go for thieves that let me double-dip, so characters like Coran or dualed Imoen are my go-tos. I usually dual Imoen at 6th, since it dramatically cuts down on her thief downtime (compared to 7th) and 6th is high enough to get Open Locks and Find Traps (the "mandatory" thief skills) to ~80, which is sufficient if you're willing to take a couple potions of perception into Durlag's Tower.

Now, whether I'd recommend picking up another thief in the meantime depends on where you are in the game. Most dungeons are quite a pain without someone to disarm traps. Most wilderness areas aren't. If you want to dual her at 6th and then wander around the wilderness for a while, you may find she gets her thief levels back before it's a serious issue.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you work only on her Find Traps and Open Lock skills, you can get a couple levels puttering around outside of Nashkel Mines, do the mines, then get Imoen dualed to a mage (Your main goal is 100 Find Traps and 70-ish Open Locks just enough you don't need to memorize Knock all the time). You might be able to dual her around level 6. Every level earlier you can dual her makes it so much easier to get her back up and running. If you dual her early enough you can get her thief skills back shortly before you run out of stuff you don't need a thief for.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    >>BG2 starts with the assumption she has dualed, and is already high enough level to get her thief skills back. So at that point; she is ready to be both my only thief and primary mage.<<

Hang on; this is a bit confusing. Are you saying that if I don't dual class her in BG1, when I take my group into BG2 she will automatically somehow pop up in mage levels? I suspect that I am misunderstanding you, and that you are referring to starting BG2 as a separate entity, rather than bringing over characters from BG1.

>>Now, whether I'd recommend picking up another thief in the meantime depends on where you are in the game.<<

Killing basilisks; will hit probably hit Firewine ruins next, then wander off to Durlag's Tower. Imoen just hit level 8 thief.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Yes, Imoen is a dual classed thief/mage in BG2.
    Only your main character carries over. Everyone else is replaced by new versions of themselves in BG2
    FrdNwsm said:

>>BG2 starts with the assumption she has dualed, and is already high enough level to get her thief skills back. So at that point; she is ready to be both my only thief and primary mage.<<

Hang on; this is a bit confusing. Are you saying that if I don't dual class her in BG1, when I take my group into BG2 she will automatically somehow pop up in mage levels? I suspect that I am misunderstanding you, and that you are referring to starting BG2 as a separate entity, rather than bringing over characters from BG1.

>>Now, whether I'd recommend picking up another thief in the meantime depends on where you are in the game.<<

Killing basilisks; will hit probably hit Firewine ruins next, then wander off to Durlag's Tower. Imoen just hit level 8 thief. </p>

Yeah it really doesn't matter what you do with her in BG1; she starts dualed in BG2.
    As CaptRory said, it's only YOUR character that imports directly into BG2. So it's also good to remember NOT to use any of the attribute raising books on an NPC unless you want the increase purely for BG1; because the NPCs do not directly port over.
    Sometimes I'll edit my BG2 save to match the BG1 stats so everyone lines up. I'll keep whatever bonuses they got in BG2 as recompense for having to go through the trouble. XD
    @CaptRory I've done that too. Or modified XP totals to match what we finished with.
    >>As CaptRory said, it's only YOUR character that imports directly into BG2.<<

That's terrible! So, all my fussing and worrying about my NPC crew's abilities, items and so on is ultimately wasted? I may as well just roll up a new MYCHAR for BG2 as well, and pretend BG1 never happened. Bummer.
    I always like transferring my character over; your abilities, experience and some items all transfer. And I find the continuity very satisfying.
    But yeah, for the NPCs you just want them optimized FOR BG1. They start fresh in BG2.
    OK, I can see why I need to finish BG1 and then transfer over. I rolled up a new character and was only level 7 whereas I can hit level 8 in BG1. Also my abilities vanished.

What is the difference between Throne of Bhaal and Shadow of Amn?
    Shadows of Amn is BG2 proper, while Throne of Bhaal is the expansion pack. While you can just start Throne of Bhaal with a new character, I strongly recommend finishing Shadows of Amn first, at which point your game (including all your npcs this time) will automatically be imported into Throne of Bhaal.
    Ok, so ... I can finish up BG1, then import MYCHAR into Shadows of Amn, with his abilities intact? How about items? I suspect not, since my new character in SoA started off with nothing. Or is the equipment stored away in a vault somewhere?
    Your abilities will be totally intact, but only a very small selection of items will carry over, stashed in a couple places in the first dungeon of BG2.

This guide, under "Baldur's Gate II", lists what items import and how it works.
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    And if I'm not mistaken, the items must be in your inventory when you export your character to BG2. Stuff left around in containers won't import.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, also, with bg2ee a djinni in Irenicus' dungeon will be carrying a weapon from the first opus. Importable weapons include the burning earth, ashideena, Suryris' halberd, grave binder, staff spear, staff mace, arla's sling, krotan's skullcrusher, kiel's morningstar and probably one or two others. In that approximate order, so if you have both ashideena and kortan's skullcrusher on you, you will get the ashideena.

If you have none on you, he'll chose a weapon from the list that fits your proficiencies, but you wont get the staff mace (because you will always get staff spear instead, even if you have points in sword and shield é_è) nor kiel's morning star, which is nice because it's cursed.

Edit: Full list is : Flaming earth, Ashideena, Bala's axe, Suryris's blade, Grave Binder, Staff spear, Staff mace, Arla's Dragonbane, Varscona, Krotan's Skullcrusher, Kiel's Morningstar. If you have none, you will get the first weapon in this list for which you have the most pips, save for Flaming earth (you should get Varscona instead) and Kiel's morningstar ( but you won't get anything in its stead here).
    Did they fix the bug where you can pause BG2 right at the start and drop all your stuff before the script runs to remove it?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    CaptRory said:

Did they fix the bug where you can pause BG2 right at the start and drop all your stuff before the script runs to remove it?

Yes.
    Tresset said:

CaptRory said:

Yes.
    Damn~ That was one bug I liked. Hahaha~
    I guess I'll plan on importing MYCHAR over to BG2. Do I actually have to totally finish BG1, or can I export him over once I hit BG1's experience cap?

Also, I did scout the game a bit with the new one I rolled up, and was appalled to see that they stuck me with Minsc. His experiences seem to have left him, if possible, even crazier than before. I was seriously tempted to leave his loony self and his ridiculous rodent imprisoned in that sealed cage. What other NPCs from BG1, if any, get carried over? Other than the obvious Imoen and Jaheira, that is.
    You can import your character at any point you like. I'd stick with it until the end, personally, but it's up to you.

BG1 NPCs that reappear (as party members) in BG2: Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Edwin, Viconia, the three EE NPCs (Neera, Rasaad, Dorn)
    I believe experience earned above the cap in BGEE does show up when you start BG2EE. Or so I've heard, I use a cap remover in BG so I always see all my XP.
    But either way, you should be able to transfer your character at any point and get your current experience.
    There are however, books that add to your abilities fairly late in the game, so it might be worth continuing just for those.
    And of course there's also the idea of actually finishing the story. I know there's plenty of cheats and spoilers available, but I always think it's meaningful to finish the story, even on my 40th play through...

You don't ever have to take any particular NPC. Imoen is the closest to "essential", at least to say much of the story concerns her, but even then you can skip her if you want. Although a big part of the fun in BG2 is how they all play off each other. Banters and discussions are always fun. I think multiple play throughs are a blast to try out different character combinations and see how they react to each other.
    The "canon party" for the end of BG is CharName, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira. You can of course use any combination of characters you want, but the story assumes those were your traveling companions at the start of BG2.
    >>The "canon party" for the end of BG is CharName, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira.<<

I couldn't stomach Minsc for long in BG1; I rescued Dynaheir for him, then dumped them both. End party in BG1 for me is MyChar, Neera, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira and Branwen.

Minsc is definitely going to get the boot in BG2 as soon as I find a decent replacement. I suppose it's too much to hope for that another NPC takes his place if I go back in BG1 and kill him off. Probably get raised by some busybody do-good cleric. I'm seriously annoyed Khalid isn't available; I put a lot of work into him in BG1.

There should have been an option at the start of BG2 letting you choose which NPCs get carried over from BG1.
    Trust me when I say there are reasons Khalid isn't in BG2. Overall, though, I agree that the mandated default party in BG2 is annoying. Sadly, for various resource and writing reasons, changing the default party would be... difficult.
    If memory serves, I think Minsc polls as one of the most loved characters of the series, I know he's a favorite of mine.

The number of NPCs is a little more restricted in BG2; partly because they're so much more involved and have some pretty extensive story and interplay.
    But even so, you can build a party of good or evil alignment; and play it for goofy fun or brooding self importance. There is a pretty broad range of character types!
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I didn't like Minsc at first either, but he really grew on me with time, particularly in BG2, where all the characters get much more fleshed out. He really is a giant icon of the Baldur's Gate saga. Of course it's a matter of personal opinions, I still dislike Montaron/Xzar and Jan, even though I think they are pretty popular in general.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    FrdNwsm said:

I suspect that I am misunderstanding you, and that you are referring to starting BG2 as a separate entity, rather than bringing over characters from BG1.

You don't bring over any characters into BG2, other than your own. And in BG2, she starts as a dual class Thief/Mage.