Skip to content

[Football] UCL thread

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I am making no predictions. I think it is 50-50, with perhaps a slight advantage for The Root of All Evil.

I went to the Ireland-Netherlands friendly today, wearing my Atletico jacket. Three people wished me luck, and I saw a young guy in an Atletico jersey and we gave each other a high five. It was a great time. I will probably be supporting the Irish in the Euros due to their very welcoming nature. I've had a great time here so far and the people are kind.

But first... tomorrow's match! I'm both more optimistic and more nervous this time. Last time we had just won the league, so the nerves were softened a bit. This time we have nothing to fall back on. We must win!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm so sorry for all Atletico fans. To lose in the penalty shoot-out is very disappointing because it's a lottery. It's a pity victories against Bayern and Barcelona didn't count in the final ...

I find it amusing that Real, currenty probably far from the best Real teams of old, won the Champions' League. I can hardly call them the best team in Europe this year.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Juanfran went to the Atleti section after the match and begged for forgiveness after missing his penalty. They gave him a standing ovation and chanted his name. He responded in a letter to the fans.

http://en.atleticodemadrid.com/noticias/message-from-juanfran-to-the-fans
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited February 2017
    Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Leicester City... What world do we live in?

How on Earth Leicester City could do that, considering Ranieri was named the best coach of the world? Where would Leicester City be without Ranieri?

There're problems in Leicester City this season, and they're risking a relegation, but ... how could they sack Ranieri after what was done last season?

It could become very much the most ridiculous sacking after that Chelsea's decision to part ways with Ancelotti.

I agree with Gary Lineker on this:

And what timing they have chosen (between two UCL legs)!
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    It is awful what happened at Leicester should of at least waited till the summer to sort it out. Look at Wenger at arsenal hasn't won anything worth while forever yet in the same job for 21 years I think it is now. If I underperformed in my job I'd be unemployed after about 6 months.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2017
    I'm no Arsenal fan, but getting into the top 4 for the last 20 years in a row (including 3 championships) would seem impressive to me if I were (during that time they've also won the FA cup no fewer than 6 times!). Given that for much of that time their players were on far lower wages than other top clubs (as a result of paying for a very expensive stadium) their results seem remarkable to me. However, 'underperforming' can only be measured against expectations and I think Wenger is a victim of the successes he's had.

That's also very much the case at Leicester. Over the same 20 years they've been in the Premiership for 2, so being near the relegation spots shouldn't be a major surprise (whereas still being in a European competition at this stage should be). If Leicester had struggled last season, but managed a good run to avoid relegation at the death then I suspect Ranieri would still be in a job there. Having achieved something so unprecedented last season some people seem to be thinking that should be the new norm - but there's a good reason why last year's success was unprecedented ...
    Grond0 said:

I'm no Arsenal fan, but getting into the top 4 for the last 20 years in a row (including 3 championships) would seem impressive to me if I were (during that time they've also won the FA cup no fewer than 6 times!). Given that for much of that time their players were on far lower wages than other top clubs (as a result of paying for a very expensive stadium) their results seem remarkable to me. However, 'underperforming' can only be measured against expectations and I think Wenger is a victim of the successes he's had.

That's also very much the case at Leicester. Over the same 20 years they've been in the Premiership for 2, so being near the relegation spots shouldn't be a major surprise (whereas still being in a European competition at this stage should be). If Leicester had struggled last season, but managed a good run to avoid relegation at the death then I suspect Ranieri would still be in a job there. Having achieved something so unprecedented last season some people seem to be thinking that should be the new norm - but there's a good reason why last year's success was unprecedented ...

I get what u mean but the amount of money they've spent in that time should of got some better than the FA cup and the past few years they've had very easy runs too. Arsenal are pretty much now a feeder club just like how spurs was but spurs seem to be breaking that habit.
    Arsenal 10 - 2 always go out at the last 16 too. I love the delusional Arsenal fans who always think it's there year every year...
    Wesboi said:

Arsenal 10 - 2 always go out at the last 16 too. I love the delusional Arsenal fans who always think it's there year every year...

And what do you suggest them to do?
    edited March 2017
    Wenger needed to go like 5 seasons ago. His position is pretty much unattainable now. He's even blaming the ref for what happened on Tuesday.

Arsenal haven't had a decent striker for about 5 years that giroud is useless, Ozil is lazy and we can see that Sanchez has back ache from all the carrying he has to do. Hope Sanchez goes to Chelsea and returns to the Emirates and gets a hat trick.

I really hope barca get battered too.
    edited March 2017
    Barca...

Oh my...

I can only quote Guardiola here (when asked after the first match between PSG and Barca):

"There's a lot of competition, the opposition are so strong," said Guardiola. "You can win heavily or you can lose heavily, that can happen, it's happened to me, but there are 90 minutes to go and anything can happen. If there's a team who can do it, then it's Barca, with their mentality.

"Barcelona are still the best team in the world. It's always a surprise because they are so, so good, but in football anything can happen."

"When you have dominated world football, it's normal that the people expect you to keep up that level, but my advice to you, knowing Luis and the players a little, is not to talk too much, because they will be back and prove you wrong.

"They've done it over the years, dominating football for 10 years, and they continue to be the best team in the world."

Shows Pep knows football.

This will go down as one of the most amazing results ever.
    Hopefully it won't end up a barca v real final as that's the worst match up of acting ever it's like a bad b movie the amount of theatrical dives and what not.

PSG had one job and managed to screw that up, typical French team lol
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,357
    FC Barcelona = the sigil troupe.

Footballers from out of this world - but a tad to theatrical for my taste.

FC Barcelona = the sigil troupe.

Footballers from out of this world - but a tad to theatrical for my taste.

That's what annoys me so much they can win tough games without all the nonsense the team got worse since Puyol retired he kept them in check most the time.
    Poor man city lol guess old pep is finding it tougher overall when managing a team in a tougher league.
    This year it looks like all the teams in the quarter-finals have a chance. Seems to be a very exciting group. I'd say that Bayern have the biggest chance, but it very much can become a final resembling 2004 when Porto and Monaco reached the final.
    It all depends if the ref acts as Barcas 12th man. Just praying to the gods that it's not an all Spanish final!
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    I can't see Leicester making it very far BUT you never know, they have surprised us before :)
    I really hope suarez gets a broken leg from a tackle. He is truly one player I despise from the racial abuse to the constant biting and diving...Ryan shawcross really let us down when stoke played Liverpool while suarez was there.
    Robben moaning about ref's during the Bayern v Madrid. Yet his dive got bayern a penalty. Robben is such a dick at times easily one of the most prolific divers in football in Europe.
    edited May 2017
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    edited May 2017
    I love the stuff from Joe.co.uk could put a smile on anyone's face.

Come on Old lady of Italy in the final!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    As a side note yesterday ManU beat Ajax in the Europa league final 0-2
    Anyone notice how arsenal fans are acting like they won the champions league. Losers! Still there season is a complete failure!
    edited June 2017
    So, predictions? What a massive game tomorrow.

Will Real become to first team to win two CL in a row?

Leonardo Bonucci, Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini. Is it a Great Wall? Gianluigi Buffon to save everything from CriRo?

In the past, usually attacking teams won (Brazil vs Germany in 2002, Spain vs Netherlands in 2012, Germany vs Argentina in 2016). But we also had France vs Portugal with an overall defensive team winning.

My prediction: a draw in the main time, a draw in the additional time, a win by penalties for Juve.
    Good speculation. I will be watching it the game here in Riga where I am currently on business, so if anyone's around please join me. I will make a prediction later.
    I'm hoping the old lady wins. Would love them to beat Madrid in the 90 minutes but I'm not sure it'll happen. I really despise the play acting of Spanish football.

Hopefully Alves will have a good game but we all know he is going to get jeered every time he has the ball. Juve just need to frustrate that ponce Ronaldo. As we all know he doesn't perform if he is having a strop.
    Anyone watching the final to tonight?
    @Wesboi Of course.

@JuliusBorisov I predict Juve 2 - Real 1!