Skip to content

A Wizard Slayer Bhaalspawn (Who Likes Wizards) in IWD

I know that BG and IWD are supposed to be completely separate adventures, but in my own head-canon, Gorion's ward is the only person/demigod capable of leading adventurers against Belhifet and his posse. As a matter of fact, he's also the only person, in my mind, who can defeat Baeloth in the Black Pits . . . But maybe I'm just biased. Either way, here is my rationalization behind an almost impossible tale:

First, it should be noted that the character in this little tale is a Wizard Slayer, though this class was born of circumstance rather than some deep-seated hatred for magic users. After all, the Bhaalspawn grew up in Candlekeep surrounded by and tutored by mages. Mages also trained him in the art of combat, and through this training he learned techniques that were especially effective against magicians. This training also allowed a natural magic resistance to build up within him, which was a hinder emcee only in the sense that it stopped him from taking advantage of most magical items.

Shortly before fleeing from Candlekeep with his foster father, the Bhaalspawn met a group of five traveling adventurers in the tavern and, over a pint or two, listened to their stories of epic battles against dragons, ghouls, and other horrors. It was then that the group of six slightly intoxicated companions were spirited away to Baeloth's domain. Gorion's ward's Bhaalspawn heritage allowed him to survive, and even thrive within the arena, and eventually slay the Drow himself. Of course, the ward had no idea whatsoever that his godly lineage was what drove him to greatness as a gladiator. After the final bloody duel against Baeloth, the Bhaalspawn awoke to find himself in the Candlekeep inn, outfitted in enchanted armor and holding high quality long swords. Feeling woozy with no memories of what had transpired, our hero decided that he was simply hungover and that the armor and weapons were gifts from the kindly adventurers with whom he had been speaking the night before.

Fast forward to Larswood, circa one week after Gorion's demise: Upon meeting Baeloth once more, the Bhaalspawn regained some memory flashes. Not many, mind you, but just enough to realize that this particular Drow was dangerous and not to be trusted. Nevertheless, he was accepted into the party so that Charname could keep an eye on him. After all, having a powerful spell caster on your side is never a bad thing, especially when the alternative involves having said spell caster roaming the countryside, potentially plotting to kidnap some other heroes. As for Baeloth's reasons for keeping quiet about his prior relationship with our hero and joining his party? Quite simply, he wanted revenge. If his former captive could not remember him he could get close enough to crush him at the most opportune moment. More so, however, he wanted a chance to reclaim some glory and fame that was lost after his exile. What better way to do so than to take down Sarevok? Revenge would come later . . .

After Sarevok's death, Baeloth and the Bhaalspawn hero part on good terms, having come to rely upon one another during their travels. So much for that revenge!

Next, the Wizard Slayer heard of an evil presence to the North, in the Spine of the World. Not wanting to place his friends in danger, he traveled alone, leaving in the dead of night. Suppressing his Bhaalspawn nature as much as possible so as to avoid detection by the great evil he came to destroy. After recruiting a party of brave adventurers and smiting evil everywhere in the frozen north, the Bhaalspawn returned to Baldur's Gate where he met up with some companions and set off for Amn. Sigh . . . A hero's work is never done.

Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking to it. Adventure Y may force me to have Charname leave for the Dale after ToB, but either way, he ends up in all of my adventures! Other than start dates (They're never accurate for my games anyway with how much I rest) is there any reason this tale could not be true? I spent a lot of time rationalizing my hero being in all three Enhanced Editions :)

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Funny enough, I recently imagined doing something similar, but here's how the timeline would've worked in my scenario:

After beating BG1, I decided to import my party into the BPs. In my case, I had never encountered Baeloth during my BG run, and since the BPs themselves don't give any journal dates, there were no continuity issues. I imagine that my party was sucked into the BPs straight from the battle with Sarevok - which explains why the battle merely "cuts off" after Sarevok is killed, even though there were still other enemies remaining.

After beating the BPs,
    you get a message saying that "an unfamiliar sight comes into view," but nothing further is said.

I thought about imaging that the genie had inadvertently sent my party back through time, and that we suddenly ended up in a tavern in Easthaven to begin the IWD adventures. Although I was able to successfully import my BG1/BP party into IWD, there were some discrepancies between spells and innate abilities, and I also didn't like the idea of starting a whole new game with everyone around level 9-10, so I scrapped the idea for the time being.

Just some food for thought.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    @SharGuidesMyHand I like that scenario. Very creative! :) Personally I rather enjoy having Baeloth in my party just for his personality (the dialogue he has with Edwin upon recruiting the Drow is quite entertaining). As for starting at a high level, that does take something away from the game, IMO. How did you import from BP into IWD though?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited March 2015

How did you import from BP into IWD though?

You need to use EE keeper to designate every party member as being "exportable" (you'll need to do that just to import between BG1 and the BPs, IIRC), and then manually export each party member from your most recent save. The EE versions of these games use the same engine, so characters are largely compatible with each game, but there are some variations between the rule-sets of each game that will cause some discrepancies (for example, paladin innate abilities work differently in IWD, so there were some issues with how Ajantis' abilities materialized in IWD, and also Yeslick's innate dispel magic ability was changed to an entirely different spell). If you're willing to micro-manage, you could probably use EE keeper to address a lot of these issues.

• LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    @SharGuidesMyHand Thank you! I may have to try this just for something fun to do. Do your companions still banter back and forth after importing into IWDEE?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't believe there are any banters in IWD. Maybe EE is different.

On a related note, somebody should definitely write a fanfic about a ranger who falls in love with his or her favored enemy. Or Keldorn falling in love with Viconia.

Or how about an undead hunter who's also a necrophile? Who wouldn't want to read that?