Skip to content

No-Reload Wizard Slayer (Because I Can!)

CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
CaeDares said:

You could always just roll a Wizard Slayer.

Jk. Don't ever do that.

Because of all the Likes and such that I got for this, I am going to do a No-Reload run of the Wizard Slayer, Val!

I rolled an 89 and distributed my stats mainly amongst Strength, Dexterity, Constitution and Charisma.

1 Blip in Bastard Sword
1 Blip in Long Sword
1 Blip in Crossbow
1 Blip in Two-Weapon Style
(I know this is different than what it was before. i decided to reapply the blip to Crossbow for Kiting reasons that I didn't think of before, but Flail/Morningstar will definitely be put back on when I feel the time is right)

We begin our journey by reaping our experience from Candlekeep, as well as snagging a Bastard Sword, a Longsword, a Flail, and some Studded Leather Armor for the time being. We snagged an extra health potion from the Cleric inside the Infirmary (Got in trouble for that! But I ran straight to Gorian and got away without a Rep of Coin loss. Hooray!). We follow Gorion into the Lions Way only to watch him be slain and run away like a pansy. Imoen meets with us in the morning and we snag her Potions and Oil of Speed, but we keep her to carry some luggage until we get to the Friendly Arm Inn. We get another potion from Xan, abandon them, get a diamond out of a tree (Thank you, oh magnificent tree!) and head out. We meet up with Elminster and question his Mentality (Heh. Questioning the Mentality of the most known man in all of Baldur's Gate. Smart move). We kill a Gibberling, snag a ring off a rock, and go upwards and beyond. We snag yet another ring off a rock (Seriously, who the hell is dumb enough to leave these expensive rings laying around!? Elminster!? Sarevok!? LORD FORESHADOW!?) and head into the Friendly Arm Inn. Thanks to the Guards, we slay Tarnesh, Identify our goodies at the local cleric, and dump it all at the Innkeeper for 10k+ Gold. We pick up a Full Plate and grab the quests. Val is now sitting at the gate to the Friendly Arm Inn and waiting to continue her adventure.

Current Location and Inventory

If there are any items you think I should get, let me know. What I should aim for, what I should achieve. Where I should quest first and help me decide the fate of Val! (This is going to go terribly)
Post edited by CaeDares on

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    bengoshi said:

Have you read about @Blackraven 's wizard slayer attempt? Start here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/573643/#Comment_573643 - there's a LOT of information about different tactics, items and other things just to survive.

Any way, I'm interested in this run, @CaeDares , good luck!

Thanks! I wanted to wait for replies before I continued updating this thread, so i guess I'll hop back to it, now. Expect an update in around an hour or two and I'll edit this comment if something changes.
    OP updated with images under Spoilers that show Inventory, Stats, and where my current location is as of the end of OP.

We pick our journey back up by collecting the Flamedance ring from the Hobgoblins and slaying the rest of them like the...Hobs(?) they are? We return her ring and rummage through her chest (Bwueheh) after she leaves just for some petty gold and a gem. Were all done here. Now we've set towards Nashkel, but before we get any farther, time to take care of that Ogre with the belt fetish (Oh come on, lets not be stereotypical here just because he's an Ogre. EVERYBODY likes leather!). Val encounters her first Xvart along the way, but easily disposes of him with a shot of her Crossbow and a slash of her swords. So far this was going to be a piece of cake, but up next was the Dire Wolf...Who almost sent us running back to the Friendly Arm Inn. Val manages to get a hit off with her crossbow, but running does her no good as the Dire Wolf is at least double her speed. She whirls around with her swords at the ready and fight the hungry beast. She takes some pretty serious damage, but a gulp of a health potion fixxes that right up. The battle gets intense as the Dire wolf takes another bite out of her, but not soon after we start landing some blows. One after another, the wolf finally falls, but not before delivering one last blow to our dearest Val, enough for her to force herself to rest before encountering the Ogre. By morning, she's ready to go. She pulls out her crossbow and slowly approaches the area of which the Ogre should still be, admiring his new leather (Awh Ye). The moment she sees him she hurls a bolt straight into him, and...
    It's Super Effective!! But he's closing in quickly! He didn't like that too much...

However, Val was much quicker than this Ogre. He may be big, but compared to him, she was small, and fast. She quickly turns on her heel and runs for it, running all the way towards the road, constantly turning around and slugging another bolt into the already severely bleeding Ogre. As she climbs the road towards the Friendly Arm, she turns again and drives another bolt into him, finishing him off and sending him tumbling to the cold Earth. She claims her prizes, not one, but TWO leather belts. But they're magical, so screw 'em. She stuffs them into her back and we make our way back to the Friendly Arm Inn for a quick visit. We Identify the two belts, one being Elves Bane and one being a...Well, let's not discuss that one. Either way, it got sold and the Elves Bane was returned to it's rightful owner. Val refuses to use it, anyways. But she gains just enough experience from this quest to grant herself a level up! We gain 7 extra Hit Points and her THAC0 is reduced by 1. Awesome.

I will still be continuing this in just a few minutes after this comment is posted, I just thought I should get something out for you to read and hopefully enjoy in the meantime.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Another intrepid adventurer ventures forth!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Why only single pips in weapons? Getting 3 pips in 2 weapons (or 3 pips in 1 weapon and 3 pips in TWF'ing) would be much, much stronger.
    Wowo said:

Why only single pips in weapons? Getting 3 pips in 2 weapons (or 3 pips in 1 weapon and 3 pips in TWF'ing) would be much, much stronger.

I only have 3 pips to start, and I wanted to be as diverse as possible. Im going to end up putting a pip into Flail and then the rest of my pips are going into Long Sword and TWFing, and then into Flail and Bastard Sword if I have extras which will most likely be in BG2 if I make it that far.

@Wowo - 3 pips in 2 weapons, yes. However, 3 pips in 1 weapon and 3 pips in 2WS, no, not unless the weapon happens to be Axes or Daggers, because @CaeDares's Val is definitely going to need some sort of ranged option to win fights until she's built up enough experience and equipment to tank in melee safely.

Given that a Wizard Slayer can't use protection rings and so forth, she's often going to be lagging behind other warrior classes in AC, and therefore I reckon that a Wizard Slayer is likely to be better off avoiding both two-weapon style and two-handed weapons, in order to keep a big shield in her off-hand.

Obviously there's a lot of ways of doing it, but personally I'd probably have started with 2 pips each in Xbow and Bswd, with the plan of putting a third pip in each as she progresses, and not have bothered with @CaeDares's choice of Lswd and 2WS. Perhaps with a Wizard Slayer, there may even be some justification for putting a pip into SnS style (delaying the third pip in Xbow to early BG2ee) to reduce her vulnerability to ranged attacks, even though SnS style is a wasted pip for most other classes. My weapon objectives would be to acquire the Light Crossbow of Speed for range and Albruin +1 for melee, both of which I'd probably use to the end of BG1ee. (Albruin +1 is obviously only +1 for THAC0, but it's +3 for damage, a point which is often overlooked and actually makes it a very good melee weapon for BG1ee, and it has useful bonus effects.)

Trust me, I agree with you, completely. But at the same time, I'm not trying to powerball through the game, it's more of a roleplaying experience to me as of right now. Later on, yeah, I'll be trying to max myself out as well as I can.
    I'm honestly not 100% sure why I put a pip in both LS and BS, I just like the idea of it in general, because I don't really like Short Swords all that much, wielding a sword bigger and slower than the LS but does more damage for a 1h, and then the quicker LS but less damaging in the other hand. It just makes sense to me. While I used to be a huge fan of SnS type characters, and I do understand that it's a good idea for a solo fighter that is weak early on, but when I think of a Wizard Slayer I think of him/her wielding either a big, 2h sword to cut down wizards with or a weapon in each hand for dicing through them.

Yes, this XBow is turning out to be a greater decision than I thought it would be, and apparently XBow is decent in BG2 so I hope I make it that far.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    CaeDares said:

Might continue on later, but I'm not sure quite yet. Hope it was enjoyable enough.

Of course it was! I actually giggled when read about your Val's fights against the wolf and Karlat. So, carry on!:)
    No update for today and possibly not for the next couple days, but I guess I'll use this comment to ask if anybody else has any comments or suggestions, seeing as how i've gotten none so far, but appreciate the likes and such.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Excellent writing @CaeDares. Your battle descrptions are very good. (Not a forte of mine.)

As to any comments/suggestions, I must say I would have made different choices re: race, and weapon profs. @bengoshi already referred to my relatively succesful solo Wizard Slayer Thani, who made it into ToB. In addition to that, I'm going to quote my findings after my first successful solo no-reload run with a (different) Wizard Slayer:

Without considering myself an authority on Wizard Slayers all of a sudden, I'd like to humbly share with you a few afterthoughts on the Wizard Slayer, in particular in the context of solo SCS no-reload runs. Obviously the following applies first and foremost to BGEE (rather than SoA or ToB since I haven't ventured there yet with Hardeth).

(1) Dwarf and Halfling seem to be the best races thanks to their great saving throws. Saves should be relied upon as little as possible of course, but it seems unfeasible to rule out all risk. Mid-level Hardeth was waylaid by an Ogre Mage whilst transitioning between areas. Before she could leave the area, the Ogre Mage cast Charm Person at her. She saved vs spell; a Half-Orc might not have survived that encounter.
    Between the races I mentioned I prefer Dwarf because imo 18/xx STR > 19 DEX for a warrior even though missile attacks are great in this game (see point 3). Besides, 20 CON gives regeneration, which is nice for a solo warrior.
    At higher levels (in the course of BG2) saving throws should become so low that you'll never have to make any.

(2) Rolling for 18/00 STR might well be worth it because Wizard Slayers are barred from using such STR increasing items as the Gauntlets of Ogre Power or STR belts, and they are the only characters that cannot acquire the STR tome below Candlekeep. (All other classes and kits can use the red potion sold at the Nashkel Carnival.) A Half-Orc WS should go for 19 STR.

(3) Ranged attacks are very appealing in BGEE, where the spellfailure penalty now applies to both ranged and melee attacks. Darts might be the best choice in this respect. There are plenty of Darts of Wounding and Darts of Stunning in the game as well as other enchanted darts, and 3 APR -- 4 with specialization and the level 7 extra 1/2 attack -- really helps with inflicting the spellfailure penalty and it also increases the odds of causing poison/stun effects. Another advantage is that darts can be launched while a shield is equipped. That being said, I'm not discarding bows and crossbows: arrows of Dispelling have been a lifesaver for my WS in the final battle, as you can read above, and taking into account the excellent short bows that BG2 has to offer one could consider investing proficiency pips in it.

(4) In terms of melee weapons, there are various equally interesting options imo. I went with the Ashideena for its electricity damage, which is nice to interrupt stoneskinned casters, but Varscona with its cold damage has that benefit as well. Other good melee weapons include the Stupefier and the Dagger of Venom but that's nothing new: they are nice for all classes that can wield them. Spiders' Bane is great if only to provide your Wizard Slayer with Free Action (the only way to get Free Action!).
    Before beginning my playthrough I read that dualwielding is recommended to get as much leverage out of the spellfailure penalty in melee. Having relied more on ranged weapons, and preferring the extra protection from (enchanted) large shields, I haven't missed the ability the dualwield, though I can imagine investing pips in Two Weapon Style in BG2.

(5) It's important to know which battles to fight and which battles to shun, more so for a Wizard Slayer than for any other class or kit I think because Wizard Slayers have no 'escape button' when things are going south: no rage ability, no invisibility potions or spells, no potions of clarity, no oils of speed to get yourself out of trouble. Due to item restrictions the Wizard Slayer is slightly less resilient and slightly less deadly than most warriors, but they should still do well enough in 'physical' fights. Such fights needn't be avoided; on the contrary, they're generally good sources of XP.
    It's the fights with casters that require the utmost care. I only fought casters when I had too (plot battles), when I had little to fear from them (Tarnesh while my WS was level 6) or, on three occasions, when the loot was too good to pass up: Bassilus for the Ashideena, Nimbul for his Boots of Avoidance to survive the Bandit Camp, Ramazith for his tome that rose Hardeth's INT to 16.

(6) Green protection scrolls are your friends. Note that they require 9 INT, something to keep in mind at character creation. Protection from Electricity and (to a lesser extent) Fire can be very useful for deal with traps, and the Protection from Magic Scrolls are simply invaluable. Afaik there are five in the game: Thalantyr sells one, Hafiz south of the Nashkel Mine area gives you one, Bentan in the Firewine Ruins area can be killed for one, Halbazzar Drin sells one, and one of the chests below Candlekeep can be bashed with DUHM for one. Six isn't enough for all the neccessary and/or lucrative Mage fights, so it's important to decide when to use them. The various Cloakwood Mine wizards, Cythandria, Krystin, the Ducal Palace Doppelgangers, and the final showdown wizards Angelo and Semaj are all extremely dangerous and justify the use of a scroll. The same goes for the Sirines, if you want to pick up the CON tome.

(7) Since you can't do all Mage fights protected against magic, it's important to use your surroundings when you aren't protected. I did the fight with Zalimar Cloudwulfe and his friends (including various casters) by alternating around a lot between the different floors.

(8) It's recommendable to play a bit with your reputation in order to get the most convenient Bhaalpowers. This is something I failed to do. Believe me, I would much rather have two Horrors than two Slow Poisons, and I wouldn't mind trading a Cure Light Wounds for a Larloch's Minor Drain, which is a nice spell interrupter.

Excellent writing @CaeDares. Your battle descrptions are very good. (Not a forte of mine.)

As to any comments/suggestions, I must say I would have made different choices re: race, and weapon profs. @bengoshi already referred to my relatively succesful solo Wizard Slayer Thani, who made it into ToB. In addition to that, I'm going to quote my findings after my first successful solo no-reload run with a (different) Wizard Slayer:

Without considering myself an authority on Wizard Slayers all of a sudden, I'd like to humbly share with you a few afterthoughts on the Wizard Slayer, in particular in the context of solo SCS no-reload runs. Obviously the following applies first and foremost to BGEE (rather than SoA or ToB since I haven't ventured there yet with Hardeth).

(1) Dwarf and Halfling seem to be the best races thanks to their great saving throws. Saves should be relied upon as little as possible of course, but it seems unfeasible to rule out all risk. Mid-level Hardeth was waylaid by an Ogre Mage whilst transitioning between areas. Before she could leave the area, the Ogre Mage cast Charm Person at her. She saved vs spell; a Half-Orc might not have survived that encounter.
    Between the races I mentioned I prefer Dwarf because imo 18/xx STR > 19 DEX for a warrior even though missile attacks are great in this game (see point 3). Besides, 20 CON gives regeneration, which is nice for a solo warrior.
    At higher levels (in the course of BG2) saving throws should become so low that you'll never have to make any.

(2) Rolling for 18/00 STR might well be worth it because Wizard Slayers are barred from using such STR increasing items as the Gauntlets of Ogre Power or STR belts, and they are the only characters that cannot acquire the STR tome below Candlekeep. (All other classes and kits can use the red potion sold at the Nashkel Carnival.) A Half-Orc WS should go for 19 STR.

(3) Ranged attacks are very appealing in BGEE, where the spellfailure penalty now applies to both ranged and melee attacks. Darts might be the best choice in this respect. There are plenty of Darts of Wounding and Darts of Stunning in the game as well as other enchanted darts, and 3 APR -- 4 with specialization and the level 7 extra 1/2 attack -- really helps with inflicting the spellfailure penalty and it also increases the odds of causing poison/stun effects. Another advantage is that darts can be launched while a shield is equipped. That being said, I'm not discarding bows and crossbows: arrows of Dispelling have been a lifesaver for my WS in the final battle, as you can read above, and taking into account the excellent short bows that BG2 has to offer one could consider investing proficiency pips in it.

(4) In terms of melee weapons, there are various equally interesting options imo. I went with the Ashideena for its electricity damage, which is nice to interrupt stoneskinned casters, but Varscona with its cold damage has that benefit as well. Other good melee weapons include the Stupefier and the Dagger of Venom but that's nothing new: they are nice for all classes that can wield them. Spiders' Bane is great if only to provide your Wizard Slayer with Free Action (the only way to get Free Action!).
    Before beginning my playthrough I read that dualwielding is recommended to get as much leverage out of the spellfailure penalty in melee. Having relied more on ranged weapons, and preferring the extra protection from (enchanted) large shields, I haven't missed the ability the dualwield, though I can imagine investing pips in Two Weapon Style in BG2.

(5) It's important to know which battles to fight and which battles to shun, more so for a Wizard Slayer than for any other class or kit I think because Wizard Slayers have no 'escape button' when things are going south: no rage ability, no invisibility potions or spells, no potions of clarity, no oils of speed to get yourself out of trouble. Due to item restrictions the Wizard Slayer is slightly less resilient and slightly less deadly than most warriors, but they should still do well enough in 'physical' fights. Such fights needn't be avoided; on the contrary, they're generally good sources of XP.
    It's the fights with casters that require the utmost care. I only fought casters when I had too (plot battles), when I had little to fear from them (Tarnesh while my WS was level 6) or, on three occasions, when the loot was too good to pass up: Bassilus for the Ashideena, Nimbul for his Boots of Avoidance to survive the Bandit Camp, Ramazith for his tome that rose Hardeth's INT to 16.

(6) Green protection scrolls are your friends. Note that they require 9 INT, something to keep in mind at character creation. Protection from Electricity and (to a lesser extent) Fire can be very useful for deal with traps, and the Protection from Magic Scrolls are simply invaluable. Afaik there are five in the game: Thalantyr sells one, Hafiz south of the Nashkel Mine area gives you one, Bentan in the Firewine Ruins area can be killed for one, Halbazzar Drin sells one, and one of the chests below Candlekeep can be bashed with DUHM for one. Six isn't enough for all the neccessary and/or lucrative Mage fights, so it's important to decide when to use them. The various Cloakwood Mine wizards, Cythandria, Krystin, the Ducal Palace Doppelgangers, and the final showdown wizards Angelo and Semaj are all extremely dangerous and justify the use of a scroll. The same goes for the Sirines, if you want to pick up the CON tome.

(7) Since you can't do all Mage fights protected against magic, it's important to use your surroundings when you aren't protected. I did the fight with Zalimar Cloudwulfe and his friends (including various casters) by alternating around a lot between the different floors.

(8) It's recommendable to play a bit with your reputation in order to get the most convenient Bhaalpowers. This is something I failed to do. Believe me, I would much rather have two Horrors than two Slow Poisons, and I wouldn't mind trading a Cure Light Wounds for a Larloch's Minor Drain, which is a nice spell interrupter.
    I can't imagine having to flip flop between good and evil rep is short amounts of time just for Larlochs and Cure Poison and such. Most of the side quests you get early on are already tough in certain views, so I'm not sure how I'd be able to do it, especially since I'd have to be evil for most of them which usually = more, harder fights early on.
    edited March 2015
    It's not hard at all:

(1) Start out doing plenty of sidequests, as you already seem to be doing. It will earn you the gold and rep boosts to buy any items you want. (There aren't that many because Wizard Slayers are barred from using a lot of items.) This way you won't be spending a lot of gold on items during your low rep period.
    The sidequesting will also increase your XP and thus your chances of survival in the main plot battles. Flesh Golems, Ankhegs, Basilisks, Brage and Charleston Nib, Melicamp, Shoal, Meilum, Greywolf, in addition to the easy FAI, Beregost and Nashkel quests should net you around 65-70k XP, enough for level 7.
    (2) Clear the Nashkel Mines, but wait with resting.
    (3) Kill Bentan for his green scroll of protection from magic before you rest, to bring your rep down to 9. If your rep doesn't decreases to 9 or lower, you may have to get caught stealing once or twice to further lower your rep.
    (4) Now rest to trigger the second Bhaaldream. You'll wake up the next morning with a Larloch's.
    (5) Clear the Bandit Camp and the Cloakwood Mines (without flooding the mine and saving the miners), to get two Horrors as Bhaalpowers.
    (6) Raise your rep again through temple donations and quests that give xp rewards.
    (7) Continue with the main plot to get two DUHMs as your last Bhaalpowers.

You may think that these kind of details aren't very important. For most classes they indeed aren't. But successfully Horroring one or two Doppelgangers will drastically improve your chances of keeping the Dukes safe during the coronation event at the Ducal Palace. And in early to mid-SoA you'll still find Horror useful.

It's not hard at all:

(1) Start out doing plenty of sidequests, as you already seem to be doing. It will earn you the gold and rep boosts to buy any items you want. (There aren't that many because Wizard Slayers are barred from using a lot of items.) This way you won't be spending a lot of gold on items during your low rep period.

The sidequesting will also increase your XP and thus your chances of survival in the main plot battles. Flesh Golems, Ankhegs, Basilisks, Brage and Charleston Nib, Melicamp, Shoal, Meilum, Greywolf, in addition to the easy FAI, Beregost and Nashkel quests should net you around 65-70k XP, enough for level 7.
    (3) Kill Bentan for his green scroll of protection from magic before you rest, to bring your rep down to 9. If your rep doesn't decreases to 9 or lower, you may have to get caught stealing once or twice to further lower your rep.
    (4) Now rest to trigger the second Bhaaldream. You'll wake up the next morning with a Larloch's.
    (5) Clear the Bandit Camp and the Cloakwood Mines (without flooding the mine and saving the miners), to get two Horrors as Bhaalpowers.
    (6) Raise your rep again through temple donations and quests that give xp rewards.

You may think that these kind of details aren't very important. For most classes they indeed aren't. But successfully Horroring one or two Doppelgangers will drastically improve your chances of keeping the Dukes safe during the coronation event at the Ducal Palace. And in early to mid-SoA you'll still find Horror useful.
    Thanks a bunch for this. I'll make sure to use this as reference as I'm running through the game. Can I do the quest where you find the husbands ring in the nashkel mines and return it to the wife or would that give you reputation?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    CaeDares said:

It's not hard at all:

Thanks a bunch for this. I'll make sure to use this as reference as I'm running through the game. Can I do the quest where you find the husbands ring in the nashkel mines and return it to the wife or would that give you reputation?
    If i remember right then telling her that her husband is dead won't give you reputation, but giving his ring to her for free will.
    You're welcome :)
    In my setup, neither informing the woman of her husband Joseph's death nor giving her the ring increases rep. (I only get some xp for giving her the ring.)
    Note that reporting to Berrun Ghastkill about the mines will give you a +1 rep.

You're welcome :)
    In my setup, neither informing the woman of her husband Joseph's death nor giving her the ring increases rep. (I only get some xp for giving her the ring.)
    Note that reporting to Berrun Ghastkill about the mines will give you a +1 rep.

True, but for my current level it gives decent experience if I remember right, so getting a single +1 then running around thieving and such should be fine.
    Sorry guys, no update today. Yesterday a cold suddenly hit me and I told myself I'd put up a new post no matter what, but being sick, I haven't even played the game, I just screwed around in EEKeeper and slept for a few hours beforehand, so I'm sorry there wasn't an update. I'll do my best to post tomorrow!
    Hope you'll get better soon
    Sup guys. Sorry for necro'ing an old post, but I'm posting to say, for anybody who cared, that I cannot update this thread any longer (close if you wish). The pc in which I has this character on met an unfortunate fate and I can no longer retrieve her.
    R.I.P. Val
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The wizard slayer is dead... long live the new wizard slayer perhaps?:)