Skip to content

Need some opinions.

So I started a run of BG2 with a Shadowdancer which I'm looking to dual into a fighter. A few questions have come to mind.

When should I dual?
I'm currently on lvl 10, just finished Chateau Irenicus. Thief stats currently: Pick Pockets 25, Pick Locks 65, Find Traps 90, HIS 80, MS 75, Detect Illusions 0. And it's 20 points per lvl.
When are the thieving skills at their best, and where should I invest?
I havent REALLY played a thief before.
I'd like to wait until lvl 13 before dualing to get the most out of backstabbing but is that too late? Is it a pain dragging a fighter to lvl 14?

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    If you find yourself backstabbing more than anything, then I would wait until 13 to dual to get the most out of it.
    As for your thief stats, your most important ones at Pick Locks, Find Traps, HIS, and MS. Obviously putting points into all of those together would be worthless late game, so pick 2 or 3. I usually go with either HIS and MS or Pick Locks and Find Traps. If you want to split it into three, and you want to do as much backstabbing as possible, I'd go with HIS, MS and Pick Locks/Find Traps.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    What you should have done is fighter dual to thief and not vice versa - as fighters are front loaded in power and level up slower.

If I were you, I would not dual at all and keep levelling until you get killer traps and UAI...and have versatility.

Anyway to the question directly - what is your set trap score? Wait until lvl11 when their damage should improve. Also your lockpick score needs more points. And yes, levelling the fighter to get your skills back would be painful :)
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited March 2015
    PUFPAF said:

What you should have done is fighter dual to thief and not vice versa - as fighters are front loaded in power and level up slower.

If I were you, I would not dual at all and keep levelling until you get killer traps and UAI...and have versatility.

Anyway to the question directly - what is your set trap score? Wait until lvl11 when their damage should improve. Also your lockpick score needs more points. And yes, levelling the fighter to get your skills back would be painful :)

Shadowdancers don't get traps at all. And that's just fine, I dislike using traps.
    Oh, and I'm running a group, not solo. Haven't decided on group size or composition yet but anyway a good-aligned party.

I wasn't really looking for advice on what I'm doing wrong. This is what I'm running now, help me on how to move forward, and I am really having fun with the Shadowdancer's hiding in plain sight ability.

Ok, I'm set on the skills I'm gonna go with. How about the other things?
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Sorry, I was left with the impression that you are playing vanilla thief and wanted to experience the class.

Because you are playing party then I suppose you have a backup thief to do the traps and locks for you. In any case most thief skills are maxed at 100 value - and any points above will benefit you only in case there are some penalties to the skill checks - like some armors and enemies/situations impose. Thus wasting points above 100 is only advisable when you have nowhere to spend really.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Apart from stealth, which has modifiers in light settings.

I would say if you're taking another thief, put everything in your stealth skills to make it reliable, and make them do locks and traps.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    If you're running a group, dual right away. The 14th level of a fighter needs 1 500 000 of XP and basically SoA is designed for 3 000 000 XP. So you don't want to go through one half of SoA withouth your Shadowdancer part, do you?

As for your Pick Locks and Find Traps skills, you'll be fine. There're rings enhancing these skills in the game.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited March 2015
    bengoshi said:

If you're running a group, dual right away. The 14th level of a fighter needs 1 500 000 of XP and basically SoA is designed for 3 000 000 XP. So you don't want to go through one half of SoA withouth your Shadowdancer part, do you?

As for your Pick Locks and Find Traps skills, you'll be fine. There're rings enhancing these skills in the game.

And potions. Abuse potions when needed.

The Luck spell/effect will also give you a temporary extra 5% in all skills.

Also, if your alignment/reputation is good and you have the Draw Upon Holy Might innate Bhaalpower will boost your Dexterity, which also gives a boost to most thieving skills.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Yannir - I'm guessing from the way you've allocated Thieving proficiencies that you're doing this with the Shadowdancer as sole Thief.

Ideally, I'd have said dual right now at level 10, but I reckon you want one more level, allocating 5/20 to Move Silently and 15/20 to Open Locks, then immediately dual. That way, you can max out Open Locks to 100 by wearing the Ring of Lock Picking without needing potions, and you can get Hide in Shadows and Move Silently to 100 by wearing the Mercykiller Ring without needing potions.
    Yannir said:

When are the thieving skills at their best, and where should I invest?

Find Traps, Open Locks, Detect Illusions and (when applicable) Set Traps all reach their maximum power at 100. None of these are penalised by external conditions, so there's no benefit in increasing them any further, except when you plan to use certain armours which penalise FT and OL by a few points, in which case you might want to increase FT and OL past 100 by just enough so that they're 100 after deducting the penalty.

Pick Pockets, Hide in Shadows and Move Silently go on getting better up to 255, because they're subject to external penalties. Hide in Shadows and Move Silently are penalised by ambient light (so 100 works reliably if you're in a shadow during the night, but less reliably near to a lamp, and even less reliably in daylight - you need to get them both up to more like 200 to have a good chance of stealth working well in bright daylight). Pick Pockets is used for both picking pockets and stealing from shops, and is penalised by the "theft resistance" of the target (so 100 works reliably against random commoners, except for a fixed 5% "critical fail" risk, but you usually need more to get away with picking the pockets of another thief or of many named characters, and various shops have various levels of resistance - I believe Bernard's shop is the toughest shop from which to steal, and you need at least 180 to stand a chance of stealing from him).

Bear in mind also that all Thieving skills except Detect Illusion are affected by DEX, so if your character gains (or loses) a point of DEX then he'll gain (or lose) a few points in each Thieving skill.
    Thank you for your answers everybody, this advice has really helped.

I'm inclined to dual right away and rely on items and potions if I need a boost. I'm mostly going to focus on stealth items. I will probably have Yoshimo and then Imoen tag along, they have the complementary skills I need. I wish I hadn't put any points on OL or FT but what's done is done.

A follow-up question though: What is the best melee weapon proficiency? Keep in mind I'm limited to thief weapons.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Yannir said:

Thank you for your answers everybody, this advice has really helped.

I'm inclined to dual right away and rely on items and potions if I need a boost. I'm mostly going to focus on stealth items. I will probably have Yoshimo and then Imoen tag along, they have the complementary skills I need. I wish I hadn't put any points on OL or FT but what's done is done.

A follow-up question though: What is the best melee weapon proficiency? Keep in mind I'm limited to thief weapons.

Probably staff. You can buy a +4 staff at the adventurer mart and he +3 staff of striking from Trademeet. Later on you can get the Staff of the Ram.

I'd hold off dualing until you max our your backstab multiplier. Just take Imoen along to do the locks and traps.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Yannir said:

I agree with @Wowo that staff is a really good choice. Otherwise, long sword gives a lot of versatility, and scimitar and katana are solid choices just because of Belm and Celestial Fury, respectively. Keep in mind that a FT can use (and put proficiency points in) non-thief weapons; you just can't use them to backstab.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Also bear in mind that when you dual, you should put all of your proficiency points into weapons in which you haven't previously invested before dual-classing, because if you put points into the same weapons then they won't add together when you regain your original class.

Therefore pick a couple of decent non-Thief weapons (or Thief weapons which you haven't previously used) and put your Fighter proficiencies into those until you regain Thief abilities. After regaining your Thief abilities, then (but not until then) you can (if you wish) start putting additional points into the Thief weapons which you previously used.

Backstabbing power is maximised by Mastery (3 points) in a Thief weapon. There's little advantage (for backstabbing purposes) in going on to High Mastery or Grandmastery, because backstab is only one shot and doesn't benefit from the extra APR. Therefore it's worth putting more than 3 points in your backstabbing weapon only if the same weapon is also going to be the weapon you use for ordinary melee. As a Fighter after dualling, it's quite likely that after attempting a backstab, you'll then switch to a different weapon for the rest of the battle, so it's that other weapon which would benefit more from Grandmastery.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    That depends on what your party is using, and what role you want to play, but anything is basically fine. Long and short swords have a good variety, katana has an option that's solid throughout, and clubs and staves are blunt backstabbers.

You're only limited for the backstab, otherwise you can use any fighter weapon can't you?
    As a Shadowdancer jumps in and out of stealth throughout any fight, it's much easier if the backstab and regular melee weapon are the same. With a regular thief, having separate weapons for each is a good idea, but with a Sd, not so much.

So, I'm going with a longsword, Varscona to be more precise. Shortbow is my ranged choice. Later on, I might put some points into katanas.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Yannir Is Varscona available in BG2? I've never noticed it.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    I think you get it from the Genie in Chateau Irenicus? But only if you had it on your person when you finished BG 1. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember all the stipulations.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @joluv v1.3 allows you to choose an item to import from BG1 into the start of BG2. Varscona is one of those options.
    And if you don't have BG1, it gives you an item that is suitable to your class. If you were to start with a cleric, it won't give you Varscona. I think you get a staff mace or something.