Skip to content

Creating a solid party for a Blade PC

So I have just completed the Nashkel mines I am a level 4 In BGEE using the BG1 npc project and BG2 tweaks and I am going to reform my party but I am not sure if it is good.(I do not care if the character is good,neutral,or evil)
PC-Blade(scimitars
Edwin-main caster(sling
IMoan-utility thief (shortbow
Dorn-heavy melee dps (also need him to get the elves chain armor)two handed sword
Viconia-cleric sling/mace
Kiven?-ranger(archer)-longbow/halberd or Coran-fighter/thief-longbow

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Your party looks fine.

The only thing I would like to mention is that in BG1 every other additional fighter character always helps. I would take Montaron instead of Imoen and make him your utility thief that can also fight excellently both in melee and from range.

Recently I went through BG1 in a multiplayer game with a Blade, a multiclass Fighter/Thief (in your case Coran), Neera (in your case Edwin), Tiax (in your case Imoen), Viconia and Dorn. It was quite a powerful party.
  • ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    Blades typically do very well in whatever party you throw them in, because they succeed in filling chinks in the party by being the Jack-of-all-Trades. They excel at certain spells, due to their leveling speed (which can shine with anti-mage spells in BG2) and in the first game are the king of Chromatic Orb and Flame Arrow, while their Haste will last longer long into the second game. They can supply melee support or ranged support (since PC's normally have very high dex), holding their own with their spins and defensive spells. Pickpocketing and lore are nice perks, even as they're nerfed.

Basically, it's hard to have a party suffer with a Blade. Take a pure leveling thief (that evil thief since you have EE; I normally install a modded NPC), a huge tank of a melee, 1 other arcane caster, 1-2 divine casters. Hell, I've gone through the second game with Haer'Dalis and my Blade PC as my sole melee fighters and it wasn't as much as a disaster as I thought it would be.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Superb party. When I finished BG:Tutu with a Blade my party consisted of:

- Ajantis (frontliner for me means withstand damage+do damage+CHA): you have Dorn in this regard.
    - Finch (my cleric): you have Viconia in this role
    - Imoen (I had her as a single class thief, but if you have another thief, you might dual, not recommended though if it's your first playthrough as only once you finished the game, you can estimate what are good areas for your party to gather xp for Imoen to regain her inactive thief-levels)
    - Kivan (archer, bows rule in BG1): you've got the same planned, even the same proficiencies (with Halberd it doesn't matter if he doesn't have a very high AC as he can fight from the second line), Coran is nice here as well (I let him have a two-handed sword for fighting from the second line when Ajantis is up front wielding bastard sword+shield).
    - Xan (mage): I had him for his personality, Edwin is even better damage-dealing wise, but you might consider using your mage for crowd-control (low level: sleep, horror, web, mid-level: hold person, dire charm, confusion, high-level: chaos).

Plus a bard let's any party shine, as mentioned by Elysium.
  • Bboy2073Bboy2073 Member Posts: 38
    so I have the party now it is working great but for some reason dorn walks sooooo slow. I think it is the baldur's gate walk speed beta from BG2 tweaks so I uninstalled it but dorn is still rally slow does anybody know how to fix that. (ps it is not the armor he is wear because khalid used it before I got dorn and he walked way faster)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Bboy2073 - your original list was undecided between Kivan and Coran. If you went with Coran, then yes, that'll work. If you went with Kivan, be warned that Kivan and Viconia can be incompatible - there's a risk that they'll fall out and fight one another.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Bboy2073 said:

so I have the party now it is working great but for some reason dorn walks sooooo slow.

That's usually a symptom that the character wants to say something, but the dialogue has got stuck. Sometimes (although not always) you can shake loose a jammed dialogue by force-talking to him.

I was looking at my group and realized that I had way to many ranged companions(4) and only two melee any recommendations for a good pick for a melee fighter in my group. (I would be replacing kiven for the melee companion)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Bboy2073 said:

I was looking at my group and realized that I had way to many ranged companions(4) and only two melee any recommendations for a good pick for a melee fighter in my group. (I would be replacing kiven for the melee companion)

Kagain.
  • ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    Both Kiven and Coran are good in a melee, but Kagain is a tank beyond all tanks.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    My bad Blade ran the Sword Coast with Kagain, Dorn, Viconia, Edwin and Shar-Teel (dual-classed to Thief - "them backstabs though!")...

I just stayed outdoors while Sh-T regained her levels.

Absolute cake-walk!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    abacus said:

My bad Blade ran the Sword Coast with Kagain, Dorn, Viconia, Edwin and Shar-Teel (dual-classed to Thief - "them backstabs though!")...

"Ooh, you smell" (of evil)

Ya I might go with Kagin but I have used him before and I was trying to use someone different
    so i have a party of PC-blade,Kagain, Kiven, Viconia, Edwin and Imoan who I just duel classed to thief/mage so I was thinking pf replacing Kiven with alora who i can get at gullykin would that be a good idea
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    One problem: Kivan will go Dirty Harry on Viconia if you keep them together for too long
    they have been fine actually but I just replaced him for alora because I just duel classed Imoan so I need a party thief
    So now my party is
    PC-blade mostly just use arcane buffs on self
    Yeslick-cleric(tank) offensive divine spells
    Branwaan-cleric more support and healing
    Imoan-Mage / theif
    Edwin- heavy damage caster
    Xan-crowd control (he is funny)