Skip to content

[Windows] [GOG] Ice Storm spell has wrong duration.

[Windows] [GOG] Ice Storm spell has wrong duration.

1. Start a new game with the any custom mage (except Enchanter) or sorcerer character.
2. In the spell selection tab select “Protection From Cold” (3 lvl) and “Ice Storm” (4 lvl) spells.
3. First cast upon your mage “Protection From Cold” (3 lvl) spell, then “Ice Storm” (4 lvl) spell.
4. See the log.

Observed
Ice Storm spell lasts only 3 rounds.

Expected
According it description spell must last 4 rounds.

Notes
This is issue present in BG:EE (1.3.2053) too.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I can confirm this. Looks like a legacy bug from vBG2.
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    Tresset said:

...Looks like a legacy bug from vBG2.

You are right.

Due to this bug, I rarely use this spell since its duration is directly linked to its damage. Ie damage of this spell is reduced by as much as 25%!

PS I do not understand why this bug is still not included in the list of required fixes.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    kotophey said:

PS I do not understand why this bug is still not included in the list of required fixes.

I would be guessing that it is because no one caught it before you. As for why it is not on the tracker; the devs are busy people and they miss things from time to time. Devs are people too.
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    Tresset said:

... Devs are people too.

Thanks, you've just opened my eyes! :) If to be serious, you as I, know that it is an ancient bug that needs to be fixed a long time ago.

PS In some mods to original BG2 (e.g. 'Spell Revisions' from Demivrgvs) it's already fixed several years ago ;)