Skip to content

Is the Baldur's Gate trilogy your favorite game(s) of all time?

2»

Comments

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

sarevok57 said:

I love the bg series for pc ( the console version were awful compared) infact I have probably played the bg series more than anyone in this entire forum has, I used to play this series religiously for about a decade straight, but then after that it kind of died down a bit on me and then I would have spurts where I would play it everyday for a month, then not play it for 2 months, then go back and forth sort of deal

I loved the BG games for console, certainly they're not the epic tale the original games are but for sheer playability with no ridiculous leaps in difficulty, replay value and hack n slash fun they're great. I've played other similar games by the same studio & never felt the same affection for them, I dig the PS2 out at least once a year & smash through both games, I was really disappointed they weren't finished.

I think my love for them is because I really like the Forgotten Realms setting. I picked the first console game up simply because I'd had an ex boyfriend many years ago who was a tabletop FR player & he'd started introducing me to Baldur's Gate 1, I don't think we got much further than Candlekeep to be honest but I remembered the name & some jumbled images of the opening sequences & the familiar name drew me in, they in turn brought me back to the original games.
    Remember that jumping section before fighting the Beholder? I remember being so frustrated I almost rage quit. Jumping in a Diablo clone. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    Hahahaha, oh gods, that if I'm honest that's the one bit I can't do, at all, I have to get the bloke to do it & my ropey eyes can't distinguish the flashing from the non-flashing pad quickly enough to move to it. I read a review that described that particular section of the game as "both sucking & blowing", & I know it's a Diablo clone but it's soooo pretty. I remember getting ridiculously excited about the water. Also it has gelatinous cubes, that drop treasure, where the hell are the pockets on a gelatinous cube?

Let me recommend Champions of Norrath. I am not the biggest fan of the Everquest setting but this game is amazingly good, and I like it even better than the Dark Alliance games. It has a sequel called "Return to Arms" which plays more like a standalone expansion than a proper sequel but it's worth checking out, too.

I don't know how you feel about doing this, but if you are into emulators you can check it out using PCSX2. The only thing is that you better have a monster CPU, and a quad core is a must. I use an i5 2500k quad (Sandy Bridge architecture) OC'd at about 4.5GHz per core, but it's getting up there in age so I would recommend something even more powerful. The reason being, hardware mode doesn't work with that particular ROM. You have to play it in software mode. In any case I recommend you looking into it.
    Yep, I have those too. I enjoyed them but I actually don't love them the same way. I really think it's about the setting for me. They're my only experience of the Everquest setting and so, even with the ability to create your own PC, I didn't connect with the games in the same way. That said the games are brilliant in co-op mode. So much fun.