Skip to content

Is the Baldur's Gate trilogy your favorite game(s) of all time?

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
For me, I have finally come to the conclusion that the original Baldur's Gate is my favorite game of all time. I like it even better than Baldur's Gate II, mainly because Baldur's Gate II seems very cramped to me whereas Baldur's Gate had wide open areas to explore.

It has also utterly ruined me from being able to enjoy the Icewind Dale games or Planescape Torment. Every time I try to get into one of those games I get a serious jones to play BG. It's like, "I am playing this when I COULD be playing THAT".

In any case, how many of you can say for sure that one of these games is your favorite game ever?

Comments

• SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    My top 5 are all pretty close together, but the Original Baldur's Gate sits down at #3.
    But yes, it is above BG2 :)

And it's funny you said how it ruined you for the other titles. For me it was PS:T (which sits at my #1), that I played before BG1/BG2/IWD1 titles and completely ruined them for me for a few years ("What is this horrible spell graphic?", "Where are my dialogue options?").

To close the gap I'll just add that Fallout 2 is #2.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2015
    Here I was a year and a half ago introducing myself to this community, having just become serious about playing this game, and here was a comment that someone (Maxi) posted:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/376080/#Comment_376080

"welcome!
    and prepare youself for the best rpg adventure ever made! :)
    for me the BGsaga is absolutely the best game I ever played, there is nothing like it!
    and planescape is very good too, very different compared to BG but it's a game you MUST play if you like this kind of rpg... hopefully one day we will see the enhanced edition of torment too...
    so, welcome again, and enjoy BG and this beautiful forum and community ;)"

And here I am a year and a half later, 1300 steam hours later, and I am calling it the greatest game ever made.

I would say that Maxi was 100% correct.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited March 2015
    Yes, nothing can compare to the BG saga, well nothing has yet.
    I think maybe Witcher 2 was kinda close, so maybe Witcher 3 can steal the crown from BG's head in my mind, we shall have to see.

Oh if we break up the saga, BG2 is 1# place and BG1 is probably in the my top 10, but probably at 8 or higher.
    I haven't counted.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Given how much I've played it again since the EE releases I guess it must be my favorite! I've been an RPG junky since The Bard's Tale though, so picking a single favorite out of that list is difficult! And if I add in other game genres it just gets more complicated. Baldur's Gate has to be near the top though.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I adore BG, but I'd probably pick the Metal Gear Solid cycle... it was the first time I'd ever really experienced a game in a cinematic style... where I was almost more involved in watching the story unfold than I was in any concerns about levelling up or equipment or any aspect of gameplay.

They definitely have their flaws (the cutscene thing was taken to extremes as the series progressed), but I can still happily replay my way through any of the four main canon games even now.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    For me, it's certainly had the longest 'life' of any game I've played. 15+ years and I still go back and play them quite often. There are other games I'll play occasionally, but the BG series is a different feeling to nostalgia. When I got my Sega to turn on after fifteen years of gathering dust, that was nostalgia. BG series I still find really good and enjoyable. Maybe Fallout comes close, but I don't play those as much as I used to.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372

[...]how many of you can say for sure that one of these games is your favorite game ever?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/611673/#Comment_611673

All things considered, I can.

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    This was probably the first game I ever played, along with Abe's oddessey, WWF Warzone and Croc: legend of the Gobbos it shaped my formative years.

BG definitely wins though, even though until I was 15 I'd probably never even killed mulahey.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    SoA will always be my favorite game. I've only played through the original BG twice so I'm still giving it a chance.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Definitely up near the top of the list. Ideally I'd like to lump BG1, 2, and ToB as one game though personally I've played 2 more times as a stand alone.

Not mentioning Fallout 1 and 2 would be unfair as both also offer the same level of role play options and an incredibly good story. Remember the first time you tried to use INT as a dump stat in fallout 2? Did you know you can go through both games without Charname even killing anybody? That's open ended role playing there. And much credit is due for creating their own gaming system. I mean D&D was already invented, FO developers had to make their own "rules" for character development and such.

I often return to FF7 as well. Not nearly as good, but strangely something I always go back to. I'd also recommend KotoR 1 and 2 as pretty much the closest thing to BG1 and 2 I've ever seen in a console.... as far as being rather open world and having a great story and replay value (enough fun NPCs and things to do if you're evil).

Lastly I really was impressed by GTAV.... though we shall see if it stands the test of time.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Metal Gear Solid 3 for me, though I put Baldur's Gate close. There are just so few good stealth games, and MGS always seemed to stand on top. Sure the games have cutscenes as about 1/3 of the experience, but the gameplay is also very "solid". Admittedly I only started playing BG a bit before you. I remember it was between ME2 and ME3 that I first played it, but at the same time my obsession with the Mass Effect games may have been what stopped me from finishing it all the first 2 tries! After the ME3 fail and the EE release I had my first full playthrough using EE and the original 2 and TOB. I then replayed it with EE2's release for my SCS, ascension, nightmare run :) (whatever hardest difficulty is called, I forget at this point as it just stays there except for my MP game)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    In terms of replayability, it's probably my most favorite game, yes.

In terms of personal affection and emotional connection, other games take the cake. Let's face it BG is great fun mechanically, and it is written well, but it's not the most character-driven game out there.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Absolutely. I don't really consider myself a gamer, but I've played a few other D&D-based CRPGs (BG2, IWD1 & 2, and TOEE), and I always find myself returning to BG (now BGEE).

Simply put, the story and low-level open adventure of BG is a timeless masterpiece.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    If quantity of purchases is ever the milestone with which to judge favorites, then Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate SOA/TOB must be my favorite of all time. I think I'm on my 7th (and hopefully final!!!) copy of each that I've owned since first being introduced to the games.

I used to reflect on how much Dragon Warrior was the catalyst that set off my love of RPG's, which the BG Franchise/vendors benefitted from. I wouldn't dream of playing Dragon Warrior ever again...but well into a second decade, I'm still sending 2E charnames throughout the Sword Coast and Amn. I'm open minded, thus am open to other possibilities, but I suspect nothing will ever eclipse these games in my gaming vantage point.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Not at all. Both games fit in the top five, but Planescape will always be number one. Truthfully, story depth is what drives the way I rank games, and any of the trilogy falls short, but no to far, in comparison to Planescape.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    Yes, Baldur's Gate is my favrite game of all time. However, I actually have completed both KotORs more times than the BGs. They (along with IWD and PST) are some of my favorite games.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I'm quite sure I've logged more hours into the Heroes of Might & Magic series games so I'd have to go with those as my all-time favorite games. BG is a close second, though (and by far the best RPG ever).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I love the bg series for pc ( the console version were awful compared) infact I have probably played the bg series more than anyone in this entire forum has, I used to play this series religiously for about a decade straight, but then after that it kind of died down a bit on me and then I would have spurts where I would play it everyday for a month, then not play it for 2 months, then go back and forth sort of deal
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No.

While the franchise is indeed good, there are more appealing games out there fit to be my personal favourite.
  • zBladerunnerzBladerunner Member Posts: 5
    I replayed the BG games more than any other games I think. The other contenders were Fallout 1 + 2 and Arcanum, which was a super underrated game, any of you guys play?

Wasteland 2 was actually amazing and I can see myself playing that for years to come. I'm excited for all the new stuff coming out this year, I think Pillars of Eternity looks awesome.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    sarevok57 said:

I love the bg series for pc ( the console version were awful compared) infact I have probably played the bg series more than anyone in this entire forum has, I used to play this series religiously for about a decade straight, but then after that it kind of died down a bit on me and then I would have spurts where I would play it everyday for a month, then not play it for 2 months, then go back and forth sort of deal

I loved the BG games for console, certainly they're not the epic tale the original games are but for sheer playability with no ridiculous leaps in difficulty, replay value and hack n slash fun they're great. I've played other similar games by the same studio & never felt the same affection for them, I dig the PS2 out at least once a year & smash through both games, I was really disappointed they weren't finished.

I think my love for them is because I really like the Forgotten Realms setting. I picked the first console game up simply because I'd had an ex boyfriend many years ago who was a tabletop FR player & he'd started introducing me to Baldur's Gate 1, I don't think we got much further than Candlekeep to be honest but I remembered the name & some jumbled images of the opening sequences & the familiar name drew me in, they in turn brought me back to the original games.
    edited March 2015

sarevok57 said:

I loved the BG games for console, certainly they're not the epic tale the original games are but for sheer playability with no ridiculous leaps in difficulty, replay value and hack n slash fun they're great. I've played other similar games by the same studio & never felt the same affection for them, I dig the PS2 out at least once a year & smash through both games, I was really disappointed they weren't finished.

I think my love for them is because I really like the Forgotten Realms setting. I picked the first console game up simply because I'd had an ex boyfriend many years ago who was a tabletop FR player & he'd started introducing me to Baldur's Gate 1, I don't think we got much further than Candlekeep to be honest but I remembered the name & some jumbled images of the opening sequences & the familiar name drew me in, they in turn brought me back to the original games.
    Remember that jumping section before fighting the Beholder? I remember being so frustrated I almost rage quit. Jumping in a Diablo clone. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited March 2015

sarevok57 said:

Remember that jumping section before fighting the Beholder? I remember being so frustrated I almost rage quit. Jumping in a Diablo clone. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    Hahahaha, oh gods, that if I'm honest that's the one bit I can't do, at all, I have to get the bloke to do it & my ropey eyes can't distinguish the flashing from the non-flashing pad quickly enough to move to it. I read a review that described that particular section of the game as "both sucking & blowing", & I know it's a Diablo clone but it's soooo pretty. I remember getting ridiculously excited about the water. Also it has gelatinous cubes, that drop treasure, where the hell are the pockets on a gelatinous cube?

• SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Baldur's gate trilogy is definitely my favourite game of all time.

It's a shame bioware's recent titles don't compare in terms of the story and strategy.

sarevok57 said:

Hahahaha, oh gods, that if I'm honest that's the one bit I can't do, at all, I have to get the bloke to do it & my ropey eyes can't distinguish the flashing from the non-flashing pad quickly enough to move to it. I read a review that described that particular section of the game as "both sucking & blowing", & I know it's a Diablo clone but it's soooo pretty. I remember getting ridiculously excited about the water. Also it has gelatinous cubes, that drop treasure, where the hell are the pockets on a gelatinous cube?

Let me recommend Champions of Norrath. I am not the biggest fan of the Everquest setting but this game is amazingly good, and I like it even better than the Dark Alliance games. It has a sequel called "Return to Arms" which plays more like a standalone expansion than a proper sequel but it's worth checking out, too.

I don't know how you feel about doing this, but if you are into emulators you can check it out using PCSX2. The only thing is that you better have a monster CPU, and a quad core is a must. I use an i5 2500k quad (Sandy Bridge architecture) OC'd at about 4.5GHz per core, but it's getting up there in age so I would recommend something even more powerful. The reason being, hardware mode doesn't work with that particular ROM. You have to play it in software mode. In any case I recommend you looking into it.