Skip to content

Applying the Patch/Custom Portrait *Help Requested*

Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
Hey all!

Just bought IWD: EE yesterday and I'm having a blast with it! 2 issues have arisen however:

1. Custom Portrait isn't working. When I go to modify my appearance, there is no option to select custom.

2. The download came with a BIN file that appears to be some kind of patch. How exactly do I apply it.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    where did you download it from?
    I'm just going to drag @elminster in here as he knows more than I do (he also happens to be online)
  • Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
    Thank you :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    When you download a game from gog directly from the website (not through the downloader) it comes in bin files and an exe file. At. least when it comes to windows installs. @dee would know if there was a patch for gog specifically but as far as I know that bin file was used during the initial install.
    I'd fetch a developer but I can't see any online, unfortunately I have no idea of the how the GOG version works or anything reliable about files.
    Ok cool. I actually did download it through the GOG downloader, it still gave me the exe and the bin. Does anyone know what version the game should be?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    There is only one version out, 1.3.2058. The first patch is coming very soon.
    Ok awesome I think that's what I have, I'll double check when I get home. Any word on the custom portrait issue?
    Go to Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition and create a Portraits folder if one does not exist. Add some portraits in there and the button will show up during character creation.
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I did that, I even pre made pics with the proper dimensions beforehand. Still no luck. When I get off work I'll post some screenshots and maybe you guys can help me further. Thanks a bunch anyway.

***EDIT*** A side note, my IWD folder is not in my docs folder.

C://gog/IWDEE/
    Post edited by Baron_Bathory on
    make sure they are 24 bit bmp
    Hey all,

thanks again for all the help. Ok so I've confirmed that I am in fact running the latest version of the game. I was confused by the bin file that said "version 2.0". Thought I was missing something. That takes care of that issue.

As far as the portraits. Still no luck. I was doing it correctly right from the start. I made the "portraits" folder in C:\GOG Games\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and I put 2 pre made and precut pics inside of the folder names "KaelL and KaelM. I will attach the pics just in case. When I click on appearance, there is no other button besides "cancel" and "done" underneath the stock portraits. It doesn't even look like there is room for a third button.

I'm almost positive I'm not doing anything wrong. Any thoughts?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited March 2015
    Look in your Documents folder. There should be a folder called Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition in that directory, which stores your characters and saved games. That's where you'll want to put the Portraits folder.
    edited March 2015
    What the???

It appears you are correct. Sorry... My bad :P And thanks!!! Why the hell would that be there? lol
    That's what I said. :P
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, I thought that was based on an assumption that my game folder was in my docs folder. Totally my fault. I guess it just needed to be spelled out for me that the portraits folder is in a separate folder in docs file. Very sorry all. It worked and my character is now cosplaying as Kael'Thas Sunstrider. Feel free to use the portraits, its amazing for any elven or half elven caster.

Thanks all!

What the???

It appears you are correct. Sorry... My bad :P And thanks!!! Why the hell would that be there? lol

That is normally where all the EE games store that info.
    elminster said:

What the???

That is normally where all the EE games store that info.
    Gotchya, my apologies and thanks again.