Skip to content

Your favourite custom party to walk through the game and why.

Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
In SCS my favourite 4 man party:

1) Chavalier/inquisitor or blackguard or barbarian.

paladin option for carsomyr and some of their neat abilities and immunities

blackguard option for the equivalent of carsomyr and abilities, fear and poison

barbarian for 40% HLA + 20% innate + 20% defender of eastheaven physical immunity. thats 80% phys immunity. paladins get shield of faith which is +20% vanilla but with spell fixes it is +10% and its still dispellable unlike the barbarian's undispellable resistances. Evil alignment to use blackrazor +3 an human flesh armor both of which are some of the top items in the whole trilogy.

the main melee of the party goes for big 2 handed swords in case of paladin and bg and for things like longswords, bastards and katanas.

2)ranger/cleric.
This is a melee + healer type, also has druid's spells which are kinda cool at times with insect swarms and stoneskins. Flail of ages, the str 25 warhammer etc.

3)cleric/illusionist gnome. Gnome for save bonuses. Need two mages and clerics in aparty at least.

4)sorcerer. Need two mages at least but i also like a sorc.

Need at least 2 mages for a decent anti dragon/mage/lich/boss ability in a party and at least 2 clerics to be able to heal somewhat reliably. Also want a sorcerer and perhaps on hit dispel greatswords so thats how the party is shaped.
This party could use the 3rd cleric character for better healing but you ll have to drop a sorcerer or a paladin for that which you may or may not want.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Have soloed the game, have run through it with several charnames and NPCs...

But have never used the whole custom party in BG2 yet.

Reason: Party interaction. It never gets old for me.

But if I chose the custom party, I would go for:

Totemic druid
    FMT
    FMC
    Blackguard
    Wild Mage
    Skald
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    The party I found the strongest so far was probably

Inquisitor
    Archer
    Kensai 9 -> Mage
    Kensai 9 -> Mage

Don't think it needs much explanation, everything that is cheese in one neat package.

The party I had the most FUN with was

Fighter 9 -> Swashbuckler
    Fighter 9 -> Wild Mage
    Cleric of Lathander 12 -> Fighter
    Archer 13 -> Mage

Of course that one was heavily modified and well outside the rules. Hilariously overpowered for the most part, but I really liked it ;)
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153

The party I found the strongest so far was probably

Inquisitor
    Archer
    Kensai 9 -> Mage
    Kensai 9 -> Mage

Don't think it needs much explanation, everything that is cheese in one neat package.

The party I had the most FUN with was

Fighter 9 -> Swashbuckler
    Fighter 9 -> Wild Mage
    Cleric of Lathander 12 -> Fighter
    Archer 13 -> Mage

Of course that one was heavily modified and well outside the rules. Hilariously overpowered for the most part, but I really liked it ;)

@Lord_Tansheron did the archer stay viable throughout? Did you have to switch her to melee for TOB?
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    I'm going to go with what was the most fun to play, and that would be a 6 man archer party. 4 archers, 1 fighter, 1 thief (EEKeeped). Constantly slinging arrows around and the fighter for tanking if needed. I didn't really get anywhere with KT but it was the funniest I've had for how long it lasted.
    Next....6 man Sorc party....
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Frogman said:

@Lord_Tansheron did the archer stay viable throughout? Did you have to switch her to melee for TOB?

Power certainly tapers off in ToB, but I find it a more than acceptable trade-off. In return you get amazing power in the early and mid game. With Firetooth and Gesen Bow, there is enough +4 firepower in ToB to not need to switch to melee.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    If I am going to play with a party I use level1npcs to kit the NPCs (same reason as bengoshi—otherwise I'd rather play solo). Anyway...

My favorite party is (consider vanilla except for SCS):
    PC - Mage/Thief
    Berkserker->Druid
    Priest of Lathander->Mage
    Assassin->Fighter
    Blade